Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3.63: Don't do a Check Switch!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

Aaaargh. Since 3.63, I 'd been having some minor audio & video dropouts on my local satellite HD channels. So I went into Point Dish and noticed, like others have, that the signal strength on most of the 129 transponders was lower than it used to be (below 60). The other satellites looked normal. So, silly me, I decided to do a Check Switch. Bad move! Now it doesn't work. Tuner 2 doesn't respond at all. Tuner 1 did the "of 4" tests the first time (failed) and then only the "of 38" tests the second time and third times. Now I've only got satellite 119 on one tuner. I called Dish support and they had me unplug the satellite inputs, wait a while, plug them back in, and do the Check Switch again. Same thing. (Weather here is a little overcast but okay.) They are going to send out a technician on Sunday. I hope I don't miss the Sunday night Broncos game.

The phone tech said it was a mistake to do the Check Switch and that if it brings back any invalid info, it can mess up the receiver. First I'd heard of it. Never had any problems with it before.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions? Having a dead 622 for the weekend is no fun.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   pdxsam

pdxsam

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:53 PM

Did they have you power cycle the unit before you removed the satellite inputs?
I'd power it down and remove the cables. Power it up and let it check switch. Then power off plug the cables back in and try again.

If you didn't power down the registers might not get cleared.

#3 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:02 PM

They did not have me do any powering off or hard/soft resets. I took your suggestion and tried it. Thank you, thank you, thank you, pdxsam - you are a life-saver. It took a few tries and I had to do a full power cord reset rather than just powering off, but that worked.

No more Check Switches for me...

#4 OFFLINE   psumattDE

psumattDE

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:14 AM

I noticed the same thing here - hard-reboot did the trick.

#5 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:27 AM

The key for me was doing the Check Switch with the cables unplugged after the hard reset, and then doing the hard reset again followed by the Check Switch with the cables plugged in. A hard reset alone didn't fix it.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:51 AM

Ocassionally, if you're connected to a DPP44 switch, you will need to reboot the switch as well by unplugging the power inserter, and then plugging it back in. Bad checkswitches about half of the time are caused by the switch getting fubar'd.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#7 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:29 PM

I'll go with teh reboot the switch too, I've had to do that with a Sw64 in the past and that fixed everything. I guess as with anything electronic something can get corrupted in the logic that makes it work.

#8 OFFLINE   CricTic

CricTic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

I've had this issue a couple of times, and usually what fixes it is unplug a sat input cable, check switch, replug the cable, check switch. I haven't had to do a hard reset yet.

#9 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:07 PM

I do have a DPP44 and I tried cycling the power inserter at one point, but that didn't help.

I'm beginning to think that with this kind of problem, if you eventually try enough different stuff, something is bound to work. Or maybe the accumulated effects of all the different methods makes the 622 finally shout "Okay I Give - I'll start working again now!"

I think it's strange that the phone tech did have me disconnect the cables temporarily, but didn't have me do the Check Switch while they were unplugged.

#10 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

I believe if you do a check switch withough the 622 hooked up to the cables, the switch matrix in the 622 will clear itself. I have in the past had a switch or two act stubborn and had to do the.

1) Disconnect Switch.
2) Do a check switch to clear it out.
3) Power off 622. (Unplug)
4) Power off switch.
5) Reconnect.
6) Power switch back on
7) POwer 622 back on
8) Do check switch again.

At least that is what I think I have done, but it has been ages. Sounds like others have had success doing the same thing when strangeness appears.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#11 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

I don't know if this has been reported or that it's related to the issue on this thread, but if you are tuned to one of the digital locals on satellite and then do a "Menu", 6, 1, 1 to check the signal strength. Then cancel out of that, the channel you were previously tuned to will have no audio or video. The only thing I can do is tune to another station and then back and it will be fine. Anyone else notice this? This is definitely repeatable.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#12 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

Ron,

One time months ago I had to perform a procedure similar to the one you describe at the direction of Advanced Tech. Support:

1) Power off the 622
2) unplug the power inserter.
3) disconnect the cable from the power inserter at the, "to switch" end.
4) power on the 622 and run a check switch (It will do the legacy matrix which takes a long time)
5) power off the 622 when the check switch is complete
6) at the DPP44 disconnect all the satellite LNB connections
7) reconnect the cable from the switch end of the inserter
8) reconnect the A/C to power inserter
9) power on the 622 and run a check switch (It will read and clear the DPP44 satellite matrix)
10) power off the 622 when the check switch is complete
11) power off the power inserter
12) reconnect the satellite LNB cables to the DPP44
13) reconnect the A/C to the power inserter
14) power on the 622 and run a check switch

this should totally clear and correct any problems.

John

I believe if you do a check switch withough the 622 hooked up to the cables, the switch matrix in the 622 will clear itself. I have in the past had a switch or two act stubborn and had to do the.

1) Disconnect Switch.
2) Do a check switch to clear it out.
3) Power off 622. (Unplug)
4) Power off switch.
5) Reconnect.
6) Power switch back on
7) POwer 622 back on
8) Do check switch again.

At least that is what I think I have done, but it has been ages. Sounds like others have had success doing the same thing when strangeness appears.

#13 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:34 PM

lujan: I tried to recreate your problem and I couldn't. I do not lose the audio or video on the tuned station when I cancel out of Point Dish.

boylehome: I would have a lot of trouble disconnecting/reconnecting the LNB connections at my DPP444, as the switch is up high and very hard to get to...

BTW, my signal strength on 129 is curiously back up to normal again, even though the weather situation is pretty much the same as last night (more overcast, if anything).

#14 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

lujan: I tried to recreate your problem and I couldn't. I do not lose the audio or video on the tuned station when I cancel out of Point Dish.

boylehome: I would have a lot of trouble disconnecting/reconnecting the LNB connections at my DPP444, as the switch is up high and very hard to get to...

BTW, my signal strength on 129 is curiously back up to normal again, even though the weather situation is pretty much the same as last night (more overcast, if anything).

Were you tuned to one of the digital (HD) local satellite stations first? If so, then it is only my 622.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#15 OFFLINE   dude2

dude2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

What is the power inserter. All I have to the antenna is the rg6 cable to the splitter and then too the two inputs to the 622. Is the splitter the power inserter.

#16 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

Were you tuned to one of the digital (HD) local satellite stations first? If so, then it is only my 622.

Yes, I was tuned to one of the Denver local HD satellite channels (6330).

#17 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:44 PM

What is the power inserter. All I have to the antenna is the rg6 cable to the splitter and then too the two inputs to the 622. Is the splitter the power inserter.

The power inserter is a small box that is inline on the cable that goes between the receiver (before the splitter) and the DPP44 switch. It is powered by a large brick plugged into a wall outlet. It is used to send power to the DPP444 switch through the coax cable. It's not the splitter. If you don't have a DPP44 switch, you probably don't have one.

#18 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:39 PM

Ron,

One time months ago I had to perform a procedure similar to the one you describe at the direction of Advanced Tech. Support:

1) Power off the 622
2) unplug the power inserter.
3) disconnect the cable from the power inserter at the, "to switch" end.
4) power on the 622 and run a check switch (It will do the legacy matrix which takes a long time)
5) power off the 622 when the check switch is complete
6) at the DPP44 disconnect all the satellite LNB connections
7) reconnect the cable from the switch end of the inserter
8) reconnect the A/C to power inserter
9) power on the 622 and run a check switch (It will read and clear the DPP44 satellite matrix)
10) power off the 622 when the check switch is complete
11) power off the power inserter
12) reconnect the satellite LNB cables to the DPP44
13) reconnect the A/C to the power inserter
14) power on the 622 and run a check switch

this should totally clear and correct any problems.

John

THanks John.... I am sure there was more steps I forgot. Been a while since I did it.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#19 OFFLINE   clarkbaker

clarkbaker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:06 PM

Na.. you can checkswitch til the cows come home.. your dish just got misaligned.. which is unfortunete.. but common. No worries. You will be up and running stronger than ever. I bought a signal detector on EBAY that helps me get realigned. I also used to have a second dish that I could swing around for channels on 61.5 and 148. Now.. my HD locals are flowing over 110 or 119 so no more CBS from 61.5 or 148 and the second dish will stay up when they decide to turn on some other crazy sat. with cool channels!! Pointing at 61.5 is nice.. I get East Coast programming on the West Coast. Means I can watch CSI at 6pm rather than 9pm on the West Coast feed.

Likely the cloudy contributed.. and when you checkswitched it just memorized the new 'issue'. Likely.. if you waited for a sunny day you would be all good.. but you might as welll tune that puppy for some 100+ signal.

clarkbaker

Aaaargh. Since 3.63, I 'd been having some minor audio & video dropouts on my local satellite HD channels. So I went into Point Dish and noticed, like others have, that the signal strength on most of the 129 transponders was lower than it used to be (below 60). The other satellites looked normal. So, silly me, I decided to do a Check Switch. Bad move! Now it doesn't work. Tuner 2 doesn't respond at all. Tuner 1 did the "of 4" tests the first time (failed) and then only the "of 38" tests the second time and third times. Now I've only got satellite 119 on one tuner. I called Dish support and they had me unplug the satellite inputs, wait a while, plug them back in, and do the Check Switch again. Same thing. (Weather here is a little overcast but okay.) They are going to send out a technician on Sunday. I hope I don't miss the Sunday night Broncos game.

The phone tech said it was a mistake to do the Check Switch and that if it brings back any invalid info, it can mess up the receiver. First I'd heard of it. Never had any problems with it before.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions? Having a dead 622 for the weekend is no fun.

Thanks.

#20 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:56 PM

Na.. you can checkswitch til the cows come home.. your dish just got misaligned.. which is unfortunete.. but common.

Ah... no, my dish did not get misaligned. The signal strength is back up to where it was before, and there was no realignment of the Dish done. (It's on top of my roof and very hard to get to, even with a ladder, so I'm glad that wasn't the problem.) See the rest of the thread for the actual problem and solution.

#21 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Funny I did a switch check without the sat cables connected just to clear out the matrix . I then did a power cord reboot -leaving the receiver unplugged for a minute then plugging it back in. I ran another switch check with the sat coaxes plugged in and now I am not suffering from any more audio drop outs/video freezes/spontaneous reboots. I watched tv all day long due to rainey weather and I didn't suffer from any of the previous days problems. Maybe everyone should do what I did to see if it fixes their problems.

#22 OFFLINE   David K

David K

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:56 AM

I'm suffering from the same problem. Last night while watching TV the 622 told me I needed to do a check switch, I did and it would only find the 110 on Sat input 2.

I tried unplugging the 622, unplugging the sat input cables, powering back up, doing a check switch, powering back down, unplugging the 622, plugging back in the sat input cables, powering back up, doing another check switch as suggested above. It didn't work, same thing only the 110 on sat input 2. Could my switch have actually "really" went bad?

#23 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

I'm suffering from the same problem. Last night while watching TV the 622 told me I needed to do a check switch, I did and it would only find the 110 on Sat input 2.

I tried unplugging the 622, unplugging the sat input cables, powering back up, doing a check switch, powering back down, unplugging the 622, plugging back in the sat input cables, powering back up, doing another check switch as suggested above. It didn't work, same thing only the 110 on sat input 2. Could my switch have actually "really" went bad?

That doesn't sound like what happened to me, since I never got any message saying I needed to do a Check Switch - it was just something I undertook on my own because I was concerned with the signal strength loss on 129 after the update. You may really have a bad switch or LNB or something.

#24 OFFLINE   tommy1956

tommy1956

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:41 PM

Hey David did you get this problem resolved? I have the same issue.
Tommy

#25 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

Hey David did you get this problem resolved? I have the same issue.
Tommy

If your receiver is currently in the Single Mode, when the receiver restarts after booting, cancel out of the Check Switch window and put the 622 in dual mode by pressing the front panel button, then do the Check Switch. Do you have a DPP44?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...