Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3.63: Don't do a Check Switch!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Funny I did a switch check without the sat cables connected just to clear out the matrix . I then did a power cord reboot -leaving the receiver unplugged for a minute then plugging it back in. I ran another switch check with the sat coaxes plugged in and now I am not suffering from any more audio drop outs/video freezes/spontaneous reboots. I watched tv all day long due to rainey weather and I didn't suffer from any of the previous days problems. Maybe everyone should do what I did to see if it fixes their problems.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   David K

David K

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:56 AM

I'm suffering from the same problem. Last night while watching TV the 622 told me I needed to do a check switch, I did and it would only find the 110 on Sat input 2.

I tried unplugging the 622, unplugging the sat input cables, powering back up, doing a check switch, powering back down, unplugging the 622, plugging back in the sat input cables, powering back up, doing another check switch as suggested above. It didn't work, same thing only the 110 on sat input 2. Could my switch have actually "really" went bad?

#23 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

I'm suffering from the same problem. Last night while watching TV the 622 told me I needed to do a check switch, I did and it would only find the 110 on Sat input 2.

I tried unplugging the 622, unplugging the sat input cables, powering back up, doing a check switch, powering back down, unplugging the 622, plugging back in the sat input cables, powering back up, doing another check switch as suggested above. It didn't work, same thing only the 110 on sat input 2. Could my switch have actually "really" went bad?

That doesn't sound like what happened to me, since I never got any message saying I needed to do a Check Switch - it was just something I undertook on my own because I was concerned with the signal strength loss on 129 after the update. You may really have a bad switch or LNB or something.

#24 OFFLINE   tommy1956

tommy1956

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:41 PM

Hey David did you get this problem resolved? I have the same issue.
Tommy

#25 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

Tommy

If your receiver is currently in the Single Mode, when the receiver restarts after booting, cancel out of the Check Switch window and put the 622 in dual mode by pressing the front panel button, then do the Check Switch. Do you have a DPP44?

#26 OFFLINE   tommy1956

tommy1956

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

If your receiver is currently in the Single Mode, when the receiver restarts after booting, cancel out of the Check Switch window and put the 622 in dual mode by pressing the front panel button, then do the Check Switch. Do you have a DPP44?

No i dont have a DPP44,, I will try switching to dual.

#27 OFFLINE   David K

David K

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:45 PM

Tommy

Nope, still got the problem. I did try switching to dual and doing a check switch, it didn't work either. Maybe my switch did go out. Just seems ironic that my switch would go bad right around the time so many others are discovering the same problem. I guess I've seen stranger things happen. We'll find out Sunday when the tech gets here. If changing the switch doesn't work, I can only imagine what scenario he will come up with. I'll post the results!!

#28 OFFLINE   tommy1956

tommy1956

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

Mine still not working dish tech is here now. He swapped LNBs at dish.
menu 611 sat 129 has no signal. The tech swears 129 is tuned in 100% at
the dish with test equipment. He is stumped... any ideas out there?

#29 OFFLINE   David K

David K

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

My tech swapped the switch and LNB's and it fixed the problem. Still have the guide data issue though. I turned the antenna to Cinci and got the data, but I'm going to watch this site closely to see if they get the problem fixed eventually so I can turn it back around. Cinci pulls in to weak.

#30 OFFLINE   deer_slayer01

deer_slayer01

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

I've got the DPP44 and every time when I get home from work and turn on the dish I have to run check switch to pick up 110. Is is possible that the switch is bad?

#31 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:56 AM

I've got the DPP44 and every time when I get home from work and turn on the dish I have to run check switch to pick up 110. Is is possible that the switch is bad?

If not a bad cable/connector from the LNB to the DPP44 it is bad LNB or bad DPP44. I just had a DPP44 replaced. Port 4 for the LNB inputs went bad. I discovered this by swapping other LNB's to Port 4. The other LNB's didn't work on that port.

#32 OFFLINE   odbrv

odbrv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

One of my 622s stopped being able to change channels. My other 3 receivers worked fine. The CSR had me do a soft and hard reboot with no improvement.The CSR then had me do a check swith on the bad 622. This resulted in a switch error message and loss of use of the 622. I could not even get to my DVR recordings. I then searched this site. I disconnected my tuner inputs and did a check switch. I then did a soft reboot. I then reconnected the tuner inputs and redid the check switch. Everything is working again. I will say that the check switch I did with the CSR was during an overcast sky. By the time I found this thread and redid the check switch , it got sunny. So I can not say which was the real problem solver. I am just thankful that I could try something without having to pay for a service call.
DBS user since 1996: 2 622s with 2 SimpleTech 500GB and 1 WD 1.5 TB EHDs , 1st 622 has 1-PROSCAN LCD 240hz 42" via HDMI (using a Pioneer VSX 516 home theater) and a Toshiba 36" SD via tv2; 2nd 622 has 1-Vizio 3D HDTV 42" via HDMI (with a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3d via HDMI) and 3 SD TVs connected to tv2.

#33 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:03 PM

This sounds pretty much like what happened to me. What was the final resolution? A new switch? Seems like this might be happening more often for some reason.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#34 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

I've had the Check Switch message pop up twice since 3.65 downloaded. Once I know I was changing channels. The second time a scheduled recording was just starting. I just selected Cancel and everything worked fine again. From what I've read here, I'm glad I didn't try to do the Check Switch. Hope E* gets this one fixed quickly before I accidentally kill my 622.

#35 OFFLINE   jcrobso

jcrobso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

Just to add: if you have more than one receiver it may be necessary to unplug al of them to get a complete hard boot of the switch. John

#36 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

Just to add: if you have more than one receiver it may be necessary to unplug al of them to get a complete hard boot of the switch. John

Yeah I tried all of that. If a switch failed wouldn't it fail completely? i.e. not work at all.

I get all three sats on input 1 and only 119 on the second. So Everything works fine unless I try to have one tuner on a 110 channel and the other on anything other than 119. If I switch the input cables on the back then tuner 2 works and tuner 1 only gets 119. So its apparently not the 622 or at least the connections on the back. Something happening in the switch not passing the other two sat signals. And obviously the sat is pulling in all three signals fine since they show up on tuner 1.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#37 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

Just so anyone who reads this thread knows, there is a fix for this problem. Contact me if you need it. Everything is working fine for me now and I didn't have to have Joe Buttcrack come out and adjust my disgronificator.

#38 OFFLINE   David McDaniel

David McDaniel

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

Hi,
I had to replace a non-working 622. My picture had been great with the failed unit. It is poor with the new 622 installed (over the phone installation)! Panic. I checked the signal strength and for 110 it's around 80 but for 119 it's 59 on both tuner 1 and 2. As I recall my signal strengths had been around 90 on both before. Are these levels acceptable or might they be responsible for my poor picture quality (resolution)? Thanks.
David:

#39 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hi,
I had to replace a non-working 622. My picture had been great with the failed unit. It is poor with the new 622 installed (over the phone installation)! Panic. I checked the signal strength and for 110 it's around 80 but for 119 it's 59 on both tuner 1 and 2. As I recall my signal strengths had been around 90 on both before. Are these levels acceptable or might they be responsible for my poor picture quality (resolution)? Thanks.
David:

Its all or nothing with resolution. Either the picture comes through or it will be broken and probably drop out. Is that what you are getting?

More likely, you have forgotton to set the output to 1080i or 720p from the default that the box is set to, which is I think 480i.

#40 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:28 PM

Its all or nothing with resolution. Either the picture comes through or it will be broken and probably drop out. Is that what you are getting?

More likely, you have forgotton to set the output to 1080i or 720p from the default that the box is set to, which is I think 480i.

Or not, it worked for a few days. Same problem returned and now the fix doesn't work any more so I am back to single tuner working. Which means big trouble for recordings that go to tuner 2. I wish you could tell it which tuner to use. Isn't there a way to do that. I end up having to set multip tuners to try to get it to force the show I want to record off of tuner 1.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...