Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Crazy Install Experience

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aggiepm

aggiepm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

I woke up this morning to freakishly strong winds. I was very concerned that the installer would not install the dish. Luckily the winds died down by the time the installer got to my house at 3:30.

The installer came and he said he could do the install in the winds that were still blowing. but that I was lucky cause he did have to reschedule an install in the morning. It took the poor guy a long time to install my dish, but he got it all up.

Now it comes time to setup the HR20. It's not working. No video is coming out. He tries restarting it, nothing. He calls a fellow installer and they decided to unplug it and try to turn it on in 10 minutes. Still nothing. I am getting a bit concerned here.... Turns out that the component video was outputting 480i and the input on my TV it was connected to does not accept 480i, just 480p:720:1080i. So we use the RCA connectors to setup the DVR and turn off the 480i output.

I am starting to feel better at this point. My HR20 at least is not broken. He was able to download the newest software but there is one more glitch. I can't get any of the HD channels, I have no signal strength on those satellites. I can get SD channels, my local MPEG 4 channels, but no HD MPEG 2 channels. Seems my dish is bad.

The installer is coming back tomorrow to install a new dish. So for now I am here typing this entry watching the Ghost Whisperer in HD cause its all the HD that is on right now. But I must say, it looks darn good!

Have not had time to play with it much, but so far, even though the interface is clearly not tivo, it seems nice and user friendly.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...