Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 - record only 'new' shows - working?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bs0

bs0

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

hi,

has anyone used the 'new' shows only feature on future recordings and had good luck with it?...i see that now the guide shows when shows were originally aired for 'most' (atleast recent, 2-3 yrs) shows.....i assume the dvr is comparing this against the current date/time....i have tried it a bit and got dubious results, taping colbert and john stewart....i need to do more tests though...

has anyone found it working or not?

Cheers,
bs

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cooldude919

cooldude919

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:29 AM

hi,

has anyone used the 'new' shows only feature on future recordings and had good luck with it?...i see that now the guide shows when shows were originally aired for 'most' (atleast recent, 2-3 yrs) shows.....i assume the dvr is comparing this against the current date/time....i have tried it a bit and got dubious results, taping colbert and john stewart....i need to do more tests though...

Cheers,
bs

i have not tried it yet, but the air date is new with the .63, so maybe the "new" episodes will actually work now?

#3 OFFLINE   scooby2

scooby2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:43 AM

i have not tried it yet, but the air date is new with the .63, so maybe the "new" episodes will actually work now?

Unfortunately it still does not work properly. I have Nip/Tuck set to new only for example and it wanted to record a show Saturday night from 2003. This was really a pain when they ran a Monk marathon a week or two ago. Even when set to record only new episodes it recorded all 12 or so episodes.

#4 OFFLINE   jimborst

jimborst

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:04 AM

I have a standalone TiVo that the 622 has replaced, even that was having problems with some shows (USA is really bad). The guide data just had generic descriptions and air dates. Normally the data would update before the actual record date but not always. So some of this may be problems with the channel not updating the information.

#5 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:29 AM

It has always worked fine for all the shows I record. I suspect it is the guide data that is throwing it off if it recording old shows for you.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#6 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

We use it all the time - works fine. Occasionally the guides seems screwed up and it causes glitches.

#7 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:29 AM

Not that it shows on a 622, watch the Episode number closely. When it is zero / missing, a show will record. Probably a better safe than sorry choice. Colber and Daily show are famous for not having timely EPG data, but it happens on other shows too. Usually, if you check the early morning showing of the Daily Show now for the coming week, they are all episode zero and are scheduled to record as New. At some time during the day on Monday, you can recheck Tues, Wed, ... morning shows (as well as the night time ones) and the EPG has been filled in with real episode numbers and a non-generic description.

Assuming a show as a non-zero episode number, if the OAD is within the past week or so and you haven't already made a recording of it, it qualifies as New. It could have been recorded and deleted, but it would still appear in the history. The original showing can be skipped (priority or whatever) and some repeat showing on Saturday would still qualify as New.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:23 AM

I changed my NIp/Tuck show to weekly instead of New shows and it now records it on Tuesday only. THis works for Fx shows. I had to do the same for the 4400 when it was on because it would record every episode when it ran. Sci fi also has a problem sometimes with Stargate shows being recorded during the day as well. Weekly timers seems to fix this.

#9 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:12 AM

... I had to do the same for the 4400 when it was on because it would record every episode when it ran. ...

In that our 622 flawlessly recorded only the new episodes of The 4400, it would suggest that either you have something wrong with your 622 (Unlikely) or you have something set up differently.:grin:

#10 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

I had it set up for New episodes from the guide- NO DISH PASS, and then to save only 1 under options before it was recorded over. It recorded episodes of the 4400 at weird times of the night and day and usually when there was no year listed in the information. I fixed it by setting to a weekly episode instead. Then I got only one new episode instead of all episodes that were older. This happens on Sci-Fi on Stargate and on Fx on Rescue Me and Nip/Tuck and on Usa on the 4400. All had the common instance of no year listed in the guide information and I don't mean the new software where it list the first aired on what ever date.

#11 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

... This happens on Sci-Fi on Stargate and on Fx on Rescue Me and Nip/Tuck and on Usa on the 4400. All had the common instance of no year listed in the guide information and I don't mean the new software where it list the first aired on what ever date.

Well, The 4400 and also Rescue Me are shows that have started a new season on a date since you got your 622. All episodes are "new" to the 622. :) ( I don't know about the other two shows you mentioned.)

The year in parenthesis in the info screen has nothing to do with determining a "new: episode.

#12 OFFLINE   clarkbaker

clarkbaker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

It works.. you need to download a new guide.

You need to set up your receiver in DUAL MODE.

You need to set up your receiver to record from Tuner 2.. not Tuner 1.. otherwise it will only record and show live programing. Leaving the channel in single mode will stop recording..

You need to TURN ON RECORD PLUS... Look in the manual to walk through the setting and follow scenario 2.

The manual is wierd because it never talks about recording on Tuner 2.. while watching a live program.. just talks about recording on 'BOTH' Tuners...

Just subsitute the part about 'then recording on Tuner one' with just 'surfing' to the show you want to watch while recording.

Goofy. My guess they have some program recording copyright legal issues somewhere at the higher levels of Dish for the manual to be so vauge

Timer should work in Single mode.. but it will make you go to that channel.

Do the items above and you should get better results.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

Guys we have already isolated this down to fualty guide information from U.S.A. , FX and SCI-Fi earlier in other threads. The year in the guide information ( NOT THE NEW YEARS THAT DISH JUST ADDED ON THE LAST SOFTWARE) was the common thing that caused the repeat recordings. When there was no year mentioned in the information I get repeat recordings. But this happens on my Mom and Dad's 625 as well and it is in dual mode and they and I use record plus to tuner 2. Either way I have found a way around it with the weekly recordings on the affected programs. I get one recording rather than 2 or 3 when they repeat the shows during the week.

#14 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:54 AM

Guys we have already isolated this down to fualty guide information from U.S.A. , FX and SCI-Fi earlier in other threads. ...

How can some of us record "New" episodes of these shows and get only one recording of new episodes.? :rolleyes:

#15 OFFLINE   sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:23 AM

It works.. you need to download a new guide.

You need to set up your receiver in DUAL MODE.

You need to set up your receiver to record from Tuner 2.. not Tuner 1.. otherwise it will only record and show live programing. Leaving the channel in single mode will stop recording..

You need to TURN ON RECORD PLUS... Look in the manual to walk through the setting and follow scenario 2.

The manual is wierd because it never talks about recording on Tuner 2.. while watching a live program.. just talks about recording on 'BOTH' Tuners...

Just subsitute the part about 'then recording on Tuner one' with just 'surfing' to the show you want to watch while recording.

Goofy. My guess they have some program recording copyright legal issues somewhere at the higher levels of Dish for the manual to be so vauge

Timer should work in Single mode.. but it will make you go to that channel.

Do the items above and you should get better results.

I have not done any of this and have had great success using the "NEW" option for recording. My 622 is in Single Mode since my 622 is only hooked up to 1 TV and I love to use the PIP Feature. I use "NEW" for a lot of shows - LOST, 24, COLBERT, DAILY SHOW, ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA, DEADWOOD, ENTOURAGE.

I have noticed on the weekends that COLBERT and DAILY SHOW will show as multiple recordings for the upcoming week. The info for the shows will always read something like "A humorous slant on the news" for all of these episodes. When the guide data updates early Monday morning, then the multiples disappear and the info data then reads who is supposed to be on the show instead of the general "humorous slant on the news". I too believe that the problems with these "NEW" recordings is based on the Guide data, because when it has been updated the problems disappear on my schedule.

Garbage in . . . garbage out.
DirecTV HR20-700 & R15
Apple iPhone & iPod Shuffle
Sirius Stiletto & Sirius in-dash Mercury Mariner

#16 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:30 AM

How can some of us record "New" episodes of these shows and get only one recording of new episodes.? :rolleyes:

One episode for a weekly timer instead of new episodes.

#17 OFFLINE   Jolard

Jolard

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

Colbert Report and Daily Show have ALWAYS been problems for new only recordings, not just on the 622, but also on my old 522, and my old 510. I have never been able to get it right, and it is of course related to the guide data.

The New functionality works great for every other show I tape, it only gets new episodes, and never misses one. I am very happy with the functionality, it is just when the shows themselves have bad guide data that you have a problem.

#18 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

One episode for a weekly timer instead of new episodes.

You misunderstand my question. I am not looking foir other ways to do what the 622 does correctly. In other words, some of us simply set a timer for "New" episodes of, for example, The 4400 and get only the "new" episodes and only record it once at that? I'm saying that if you can't do that you've got a problem with either your 622 OR you've got a cockpit problem. :)

#19 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:07 PM

This is the way it works on my 622s and my Dads 625 . He is in dual mode and I am in Single mode. I am well aware of how to set new timers as I have been with Dish for about 10 years now. I am telling you how the guide data does not have the year in the information on the repeat recordings . ( this does not mean the latest software addition of the year on the bottom of the information screen) When it first records the first new show it has the year and/or says "NEW episode" in the information screen. ON the subsquent repeats of the same show or sometimes older shows there is no year in the information screen. THis is the common single anomoly I am seeing along with the fact that the guide information for the three stations FX, SCi FI and USA is not the best most up to date guide data.

My solution is to set the shows on these networks to weekly so it catches one episode on the day it is supposed to first air. This keeps me from having repeats. THis is how it has worked on my two 622 receivers and my Dad's 625 too. It is the guide data that is wrong and it causes the receiver to record it to be safe rather than not to.

I was hoping that when Dish added the" first aired" part of the episodes on the last software this would correct the problem but I see it didn't and the year is wrong on most of the shows . ON my world news tonight on ABC last night the year was listed as 1953. My wife's soap for All my Children says 1970. I got a year for 1998 for Cnn live tv show last night. So it is not right on this new software and it has nothing to do with the name based recording .

The only thing I can think of that might cause it could be that under the option screen of each timer is set to save 1 episode each , of each of those shows before it records over the oldest one. Maybe I will try to eliminate this on these timers and see what happens if I put it back to new . I will report back if it works .

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

Would be interesting if someone has a 942 could that do some comparisons to see if it actually is the guide info or the 622 that is not getting it right.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...