Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 won't setup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   reef geek

reef geek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:29 PM

Installer upgrades my 3lnb dish to the 5lnb. Though D* was comping the conversion as an original USSB > D* subscriber I'm told that I have to shell out $99. for a support arm as the new dish is 50# and eventually the dish will droop. BTW, the support arm is $25 and the labor to install two screws into the wall was $74.-- AARG! The HR20 connects via HDMI to my Runco controller and we get the D* logo and the Runco controller says the signal is 480P but that only lasts for a minute or two before the signal drops out resulting in the new HR20 scrolling with the blue lights on the right and the Runco says "no signal". He calls his supervisor and leaves it that way and goes on to upgrade the other calls on his schedule. I tried to do a cold boot on the HR20 and again the video only lasted a couple of minutes before dropping out. I can't get to the setup screen. The installer comes back tonight at 5:45 and calles his supervisor and they both think its my Runco projector & controller. I say it was working with the same HDMI cable before so I've got my old HR10-250 back online again while the supervisor comes out tomorrow to see if he can figure out what he can do to make it work. I wish it could be setup so it can download the new firmware to fix any squirley firmware, but it just strobes for hours with no signal. Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,555 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:59 AM

Try bypassing your Runco and connecting directly to your TV. Or just connect to the TV using SVideo/composite video connection. That should keep the video alive long enough to set up the DVR and download the latest software.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   reef geek

reef geek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:18 AM

Try bypassing your Runco and connecting directly to your TV. Or just connect to the TV using SVideo/composite video connection. That should keep the video alive long enough to set up the DVR and download the latest software.

great idea! I have a ceiling mounted Runco projector and it connects directly to the output of my Runco video processor so this is my only "TV". I'm using the HDMI cable from the output of the HR20 into the Runco video processor. I don't have any other TV sets but I'll take your suggestion and ditch the HDMI cable for now and try any other video cable just to get to the setup screen. Thanks!!! We went back to the HR10-250 via that HDMI cable so hopefully the updates will cure the problem.

#4 OFFLINE   aggiepm

aggiepm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:39 AM

This happened to me on my install yesterday. The problem was the HR20 was outputting 480i by default on first boot and the connection on my TV I was using only accepts 480p and up so I was getting nothing.

I had to hook it up with RCA to do the setup and change the resolution to 720p and all is good now.

#5 OFFLINE   reef geek

reef geek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:58 AM

My installer gave up and went on to the next installs but came back at 5:45 finding still no video. The supervisor was supposed to come out today and didn't so after reading the above comments, I found a S video cable and got it displaying video long enough for me to go through the setup and then I ditched the S video cable and reconnected my HDMI connector and it works great after I called D* and got activated for the HR20. The installers' ladder is still up against the roof tonight...what an idiot to forget your ladder (you'd think he'd miss it) LOL

#6 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:44 AM

Exact same problem happened when I installed the HR20. As suggested connect the hr20 directly to the projector with composite if available. Set up should be direct and quick. the HR20 will download the latest software during this process which should fix the HDMI connection problem.

#7 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:34 AM

Had the same problem. Connected with component cable [in the box] and walked right through install menu. Switched back to HDMI and running fine.

spam firewall