Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Taking the Plunge!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2001 - 02:39 PM

There hasn't been a message in here for quite a while, so it's time for one.

I'm about to take the plunge and purchase the Sony KP51HW40 51" hdtv. Also picking up an 18" dish, 6000, and 8vsb tuner to add to my current dish setup. And the antenna to go on the roof. And the necessary audio racks to put the 10 components in that I have around my tv. And then, of course, I'm going to tear out all of the lighting in my theater room (basement, really) and replace with nice recessed lighting that will be controlled by my remote. All just to get a new tv...

:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2001 - 11:35 AM

That's great Mark! You will love having an HDTV. I'm finding though that the greatest treat in having a 16X9 TV is the DVD's. Most will look great and very close to HDTV quality.

If you have money left over, be sure to pick up a progressive scan DVD player. This will make the most out of the picture quality from DVD. There are some pretty decent progressive players that can be had for around $250.

One word of warning. HDTV RPTV's can screen burn very easily so be sure to keep the contrast and brightness down. I usually turn off all the lights while watching a movie so I am able to keep those settings pretty low and haven't had a problem yet.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2001 - 06:40 PM

It should be here Tuesday afternoon! I have the 6000 sitting in the box here (picked it up from the local E* dealer warehouse just 3 miles down the street from me. The dish and 8vsb tuner will be here on Tuesday as well. Gonna get the antenna tomorrow and get it up if the weather's nice.

I'm well aware of the burn in issues. First thing that's gonna happen when the set gets turned on is the contrast is getting set well below 50%, and the brightness is getting set to around 50%. Then Video Essentials gets plugged in and (after the set warms up) all the settings get calibrated.

Can't wait now!

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2001 - 08:13 AM

Well todays the day for your HDTV to arrive! It will seem like the day is going so slow waiting for the delivery guys to come!

Once you get it you will feel an ultimate high!

Just one thing to remember after you tweek things to looks great today they may not look that way in a few weeks. As the set has a chance to settle and burn in you will have to re calibrate it.

I do my set about once a month to keep it operating in tip top shape.

The one thing bad about having a HDTV is that once you look at how good HD looks when you turn to a normal channel you can really see how flawed Dish Networks signal really is.

Scott

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2001 - 08:36 AM

I think the first channel I turned to was the HDTV demo channel on 61.5. When the picture popped up my mouth dropped. It was quite a high.

I've had the TV since May and to this day I still get happy when watching a crisp, clear HDTV picture. A couple of movies on HBO look fantastic but Showtime is still the winner because most of their HDTV movies are in the full aspect ratio. Most "Panavision" (2.35:1) movies on HBO are cropped to fill the 16X9 screen. Very irritating.

Last night I watched the DVD Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Kahn. WOW! That DVD looks fantastic. I felt like I was back in 1982 watching it in the theater for the first time. All of the details really come through and the soundtrack is awesome.

Buying a 16X9 HDTV monitor is the best purchase I've made in years. Expensive but well worth the money.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2001 - 01:15 PM

Actually, my delivery is tomorrow afternoon, not today :(

That's ok, though...I should be getting my 2nd dish and 8vsb tuner today via UPS. I'm planning on taking tomorrow off from work to install the 2nd dish and the OTA antenna up on the roof. Need to get that done - snow's supposed to be here by the weekend, so it's now or wait till the next melt.

Unfortunately, I have to point at 148 rather than 61.5...no real clear LOS to 61.5 unless I can convince my neighbors to cut down their 200 year old tree...(really, really BIG tree). That's ok, though...I'd rather have the west coast feed of CBS than the east coast feed.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2001 - 03:27 PM

Wow! Wow! Wow! I watched Survivor, CSI and The Agency off the KCBS-DT last night. Unfreakingbelievable! I don't know how I'll ever be able to watch SD television again.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

spam firewall