Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ota Not Loading Correctly

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RWATTS

RWATTS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:34 PM

I am having difficulty with my OTA channels. I have just received a new VIP622 to replace a faulty unit that froze on playback. The old unit was a first Dish install complete with 1000 Dish and companion non-HD receiver. As the installers hooked up everything and got it all going, I did not pay attention to how the OTA was set up. Originally, I had OTA only and no sat locals. Shortly after, I added sat locals mostly to get Guide Data. Also, as you know, it allowed TV2 to watch network programming in Dual Mode. Anyway, I was setting up the new VIP622 this morning and everything seemed to be working until it came time for OTA. I went to the Local Channels menu and Scanned all my local channels in and hit Done. It game me a list on the left of all the OTA channels I had previously been receiving. But when I went to my Guide(any guide) the channels were not there. The sat locals channels were there under their previous addresses (i.e. 004-00, 005-00 etc.) but there was no sign of the OTA channels. I went back to the Local Channels menu and Scanned again. This time I chose the Select All button and then Done. Still no luck. What am I missing? From reading the manual, it seems this is all I should have to do. Am I just a dope?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

There is an add button you need to add them so that they appear. just scanning them does not add them to the list. It is a bit confusing from a UI perspective and that page does not show what has been added to your EPG and I think it should.

Look for the Add Locals button. You select the channels you want to add and then press the "Add Locals"
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   RWATTS

RWATTS

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:54 PM

Rwatts - when you press the DONE button on screen after scanning, do you see a popup box saying something to the effect of "Now programming system memory, do not disturb the box or turn it off"? If you don't, then the OTA scan isn't getting saved. If you do see that message box, the scan is saved, and you should see the OTA channels in your guide. If you see that message, but still don't see the channels in the guide, then there's something else wrong.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   RWATTS

RWATTS

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

Yes I think I do remember seeing the box you spoke of. Hopefully, I'm wrong. I will let you know tomorrow after I get home and check it out. I hope that this replacement 622 doesn't also need to be replaced! It had difficulty setting up last night as well. I used the quick set-up sheet that came with it and ran into problems. I called tech once and we skipped the check switch step and went to download. It did not do anything though. I called back and another tech had me go through the check switch and point dish etc. Then we started the download. Seven hours later it had not downloaded! I called tech again and we reset and started over. This time the download only took 20 minutes and everything was fine until I got to the OTA problem.

#6 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

RWATTS,

You should be aware that there is a bug in the ViP622s version L3.63 software that will cause your 622 to lock up a few minutes after you complete a "add channel" on the screen Mark mentioned. I don't know if it also does it on a "scan" but I thought I better mention it in case you run into it. If your 622 does lock up (and the screen goes blank) just let it sit a few minutes and it will re-boot itself. DISH is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix.
Bill R

#7 OFFLINE   R_Childress

R_Childress

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:46 PM

Dosen't it take some time for the channels to map down to the correct channel numbers?

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:18 PM

No the mapping down should be immediate base on my experience. You do need to be subbing to locals for your DMA to get the mapping. There are some users also that by being in a certain location have reported that the mapping does not occur.

assumption here is that you your EPG does have its guide data.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#9 OFFLINE   RWATTS

RWATTS

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:25 PM

Bill R. Thanks for the warning. It worked OK this morning, but I'll watch out for that bug.

Ron, my EPG does have the regular guide data. I'm not sure for how many days as I ran out of time this morning to check. What do you mean by "...subbing to locals for your DMA to get the mapping."? Is this something I set up in the menus?

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

Dosen't it take some time for the channels to map down to the correct channel numbers?

Only for out of market locals. Your market's locals should be immediate (assuming you subscribe to locals).

Ron, my EPG does have the regular guide data. I'm not sure for how many days as I ran out of time this morning to check. What do you mean by "...subbing to locals for your DMA to get the mapping."? Is this something I set up in the menus?

No. Just a reminder that one MUST subscribe to locals via E* to get EPG for OTA channels on most E* receivers.

#11 OFFLINE   RWATTS

RWATTS

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:45 AM

Well last night I went and added the channels one by one using the original digital channel numbers(i.e. 004.01=27, 002.01=19 etc.). It did nothing immediately. I was frustrated and dinner was ready so I sat down and ate. During dinner the 622 rebooted on it's own. After dinner I was preparing to call E* and get to a tech to see what the problem was. I figured I would check one more time just in case a miracle had happened. It had! Magically, the OTA channels were there! I guess maybe it can take a while before they show up on the Guide. Or, maybe the 622 needed to reboot to absorb the info? Anyway, thanks for all the advice. Hopefully, my difficulties are over. I only hope I don't run into HDMI problems with this 622. My previous unit was working fine. However, my HDTV has failed also, so I am waiting for it to be repaired. It's the only TV with HDMI, so I'll have to wait and see whether the new 622 has operational HDMI.

#12 OFFLINE   hughh

hughh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:38 PM

I was having problems adding/deleting locals until I saw this thread. Thanks, guys.

#13 OFFLINE   RHF-NJ

RHF-NJ

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

Well last night I went and added the channels one by one using the original digital channel numbers(i.e. 004.01=27, 002.01=19 etc.).

How do you do that, which menu option do you go to?

Thanks;

#14 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

menu-6-9 Add Locals option
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#15 OFFLINE   erdejo

erdejo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:25 AM

He guys,

I was pointed to this forum yesterday by someone at Videohelp.com and I became a member here since I also have the VIP622 since a couple of weeks after I switched to Dish.
One question (and let me know if this is not the right place for it, since I haven't looked elsewhere yet.... :grin: ) but what type of OTA antenna do most of you use? Do use an indoor or outdoor and if indoor does it matter whether it is amplified and what the strength of it is?
I want to also be able to receive HD locals, but since Dish doesn't offer these here (yet) I want to try the OTA option since I understand that most of our locals are available in HD. ;)

Thanx in advance for any advise.

Regards, Eric

#16 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

If you go to http://www.antennaweb.org you can enter your zip code to see that type antenna you will need. It will tell you how far and what direction the broadcast towers are in. That should help you select the right antenna.

I use a RS antenna in my attic.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

You might also want to check out our sister forum AVSForum. A lot of advice available there, but the best part is that there is an individual thread for nearly every market area in the US --- you can read and ask people in YOUR area what they are doing.

Start in the Local HDTV Info and Reception forum and look for your market in a thread title or in the index post at the top of the forum.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   odawg72

odawg72

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

So am I to understand from what I've read here that if you don't subscribe to locals, then your OTA channels won't display program info in the EPG?
I had locals, then cancelled since I live close enough to all locals that I get excellent HDTV & standard reception with a small tabletop antenna. I tried scanning channels and waiting for aguide update, but no luck. Just a never ending program called 'Digital Service' on for each OTA channel in my EPG.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:46 PM

:welcome_s

So am I to understand from what I've read here that if you don't subscribe to locals, then your OTA channels won't display program info in the EPG?

That is correct (and annoying at the same time).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

How do you get a channel that is not picked up by the scan? channels 6-1 and 6-2 wont pull in all others are there. Asking for a buddy who has the VIP622.

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360