Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Starting from scratch...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   escsco

escsco

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 09:53 AM

I just got a 57" wide screen from sony that is hdtv compatible (currently get hdtv over the air).

Do I have to buy a certain receiver and dish (direct tv) to get all or any channels in the 16:9 format (hdtv not required but definitely a plus) or is this just wishful thinking?

I currently just have a roof antennae and I need more channels soon. But I really love the fact that all my local channels send out a digital signal and almost all of them send them out in a 16:9 format. How do I retain this status with direct tv?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 12:24 PM

You can wait 10 years or use the stretch mode on your TV.

Only true HD programs are really in a 16:9 format. Even the widescreen "letterboxed" shows you see on D* will show up as widescreen in a 4:3 box on your HD set. Then you either have to use the receivers stretch and zoom or watch a pathetically small letterboxed image.

As far as HD from D*, you do need an HD tuner. I'm a E* sub so I can't help you there. D* has HBO, Showtime and HDNET available in HD. Hopefully they will carry the 3 new HDNET channels that are coming out the end of this year.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#3 OFFLINE   Martyva

Martyva

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 06:39 AM

i talked to a fella in January from Ventura. He was 85 miles from mount Wilson and picked up all the LA stations great, with an over air module in a satellite tuner. There must be some serious HD out there, because when i asked him what he watched on sat, he stated hardly anything, the channels in LALA land were that good. Most DVDs you receive are also shown in either 16:9 (2:1) or 2.35:1. And the JVC HDDVHS has several movies available in HD.
Yes i'm deaf

#4 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 09:27 AM

On Dishnetwork HBO, Showtime, and Discovery HDT all have widescreen most of the time (some shows on HBO and Showtime are not Widescreen). Your TV will show them in widescreen no problem if you have the 6000U box.

For other channels I use stretch mode to stretch the 4:3 image to cover the screen. Another alternative is when you are watching a letterbox movie (SciFI does a lot of shows and movies in widescreen even though they broadcast in 4:3 by putting black bars on the top and bottom) is to use the zoom function to zoom the image up and have the black bars off the screen.

The only problem I have with zoom and stretch is that they seem to highlight many of the compression artifacts of the non HDTV channels.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...