Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The BBC's New Robin Hood, Starts in the UK Sat

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:51 AM

For those fans of Doctor Who, and British Shows, you may like a look at this. Robin Hood. It a co-production between the BBC, Tiger Aspect Productions, and BBC America.

With thirteen 45 Minute episodes all filmed in HDTV, It will show in the Doctor Who spot on BBC 1. Starting from this Saturday the 7th October. No date for BBC America as of yet (So other sources) :).

*Jonas Armstrong — Robin Hood
*Lucy Griffiths — Maid Marian
*Keith Allen — the Sheriff of Nottingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/robinhood/

http://en.wikipedia....(BBC_TV_series)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

So this post has been here all day. Anyone had a browse of the sites? what you think?

#3 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

there is a new post saying BBC World is going to come in directv very soon...

Any update on that???

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:29 AM

I'll have to keep my eyes on Usenet and alt.binaries.multimedia.british.drama

#5 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:15 AM

Anyone seen this yet? What do you think?

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:18 AM

I'll be seeing it shortly - downloaded it just no chance to watch yet.

#7 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:07 AM

I'll be seeing it shortly - downloaded it just no chance to watch yet.

So what you think? where did you get it? I am having trouble finding a copy.

Ratings

The opening episode won its timeslot in the unofficial overnight ratings, with an average viewing figure of 8.2 million, peaking at 8.5 million. This compared to an average of 7 million for its nearest opposition, Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway on ITV1.

According to the Guardian Unlimited overnight ratings report the following Monday, this equated to a 37% share of the total viewing audience available for Robin Hood in its timeslot, as against 31.1% for Ant and Dec.

http://en.wikipedia.......C_TV_series)

#8 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:21 AM

I got it on alt.binaries.multimedia.british.drama (I think, I'd have to look it up at home).

I watched it the night before last. I have mixed feelings, but far more good than bad about it.

There were parts that seemed like they were going for comic relief but seemed campy in a bad way. Others worked (like Robin's friend's running gag about how hungry he was).

One nitpicky thing was seeing that same person wearing a necklace that was on a modern gold chain with a modern clasp - it stood out to me because I was watching it on my PC (19" LCD monitor). Sitting across a room, you might not notice.

The longer it went on, the better the character development got.

The best part about the first episode is that it cover's Robin's return from The Crusades and the plot advances to explaining just *why* Robin and the Sheriff of Nottingham end up opposing each other.

This was a very good setup with only minor nits for me to pick. I enjoyed it and will be looking for the next episode this weekend.

We seriously need a BBCAmerica *premium* channel with no commercials so that we can enjoy shows like this, Dr. Who and Life on Mars the way they were intended. Either that or have the BBC open up so that I can pay the (what is it, $150/year once you convert the pounds or Euros to US dollars?) tv tax so that we can legally download their shows over here.

#9 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:40 AM

Well Guys I finaly watched this show this weekend. Its fantastic! Not many copies out there, Cant wait for episode 2 this week. Or even for the show to come to BBC America.

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:15 AM

I just got my hands on the 2nd episode and will probably watch it tonight.

#11 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

Ok, I saw the 2nd episode ("Sheriff Got your Tongue?") and I have to say I'm liking this more and more.

You're seeing the gradual development of just how the "icon" of "Robin Hood and his Merry Men" were assembled - how they met, came together, found common fates and started to evolve from 'bandits in the woods' to something far more than that.

#12 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:25 AM

Ok, I saw the 2nd episode ("Sheriff Got your Tongue?") and I have to say I'm liking this more and more.

You're seeing the gradual development of just how the "icon" of "Robin Hood and his Merry Men" were assembled - how they met, came together, found common fates and started to evolve from 'bandits in the woods' to something far more than that.

Yeap saw this it was great. watch it guys you dont know what your missing.

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:49 AM

I watched the first 2 epsiodes on Saturday morning, and I was blown away. Wow, what a great show. Haven't watched epsiode 3 yet, but will tonight.

Damn...with Doctor Who, Life on Mars, Robin Hood, Torchwood and Spooks all coming from BBC land, I don't have time to watch American television!
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:41 AM

This show just gets better and better every week. I *so* wish it were legal to get the shows downloaded straight from the BBC! I'd certainly pay their annual fee - the 'tv tax' that they pay in the UK - to be allowed access to the archives that The Beeb is putting online!

#15 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:08 AM

This show just gets better and better every week. I *so* wish it were legal to get the shows downloaded straight from the BBC! I'd certainly pay their annual fee - the 'tv tax' that they pay in the UK - to be allowed access to the archives that The Beeb is putting online!

Rumour has it the Beeb(BBC) was thinking of asking the UK gov if they can do this, to raise more funding. But BBC Worldwide, who though a part of the BBC, they are seperate, didnt want this as they will lose out on international sales to other networks.

So it could be a long way off that why no BBC shows are on iTunes yet!

#16 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

Well, gee, if BBC Worldwide would put shows on when, say, BBC3 gets them....

Besides, BBC WOrldwide isn't getting money from the archival project, are they?

I wonder what the impact would be - how many viewers BBC America would lose compared to the revenue stream of those willing to pay for commercial-free, uncut "programmes"?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...