Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

can dish network be hooked into my computer?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shelly2612

shelly2612

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

Ok, They Are Coming To Hook My Dish Network Up Friday. Question? Can I Hook My Computer To My Dish System?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

The short answer is no if I am reading your question right. There is no way to stream video from you Dish receivers to your computer like you can do with certain TIVOS. There are ways to get video to your computer, but if you are wanting to take video from the net and watch it on your Dish Reciever or Visa Versa by copying files you cannot do that with Dish Receivers.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   shelly2612

shelly2612

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

i think you answered my question, there is no way to watch my dish network on my computer, oh well thanks anyway

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:03 PM

No problem.. To follow up. The only way I know to do it is through Slingbox or by using a capture card or depending on receiver using a TV tuner card and feeding it in that way (In theory it should work). There is no way to use something like a ethernet port and accomplish it that way.

An :welcome_s. Hope you find our site a nice place to hang out.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   cdickers

cdickers

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:36 PM

Like the previous post stated; you can use a Slingbox. I use it a lot. The new Slingbox AV which came out this week can get some really good bitrates over a LAN and decent bitrates over the Internet.

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

There is a modification called R5000 which if applied to an owned 211 or 622 will allow you to stream the satellite signal to a computer hard drive via USB 2.0 connection.

It costs about $550.

#7 OFFLINE   dartonviper

dartonviper

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Or if you are just wanting to use your monitor for a tv you can get a tuner card. I have done several installs like that.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:14 PM

Or if you are just wanting to use your monitor for a tv you can get a tuner card. I have done several installs like that.

But that tuner will only see OTA broadcasts - NO satellite.

#9 OFFLINE   Dave Rowe

Dave Rowe

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

Ok, They Are Coming To Hook My Dish Network Up Friday. Question? Can I Hook My Computer To My Dish System?

You can hook up your Dishnetwork to a computer, but the computer has to have TV viewing ability. Check out WINTV and their assortment of products. You can go basic or you can make your computer HDTV compatable (if you have a HD compatable monitor). Once you install the card you can watch TV in a window while you do other computer stuff or use your entire monitor as a TV. Your WINTV card will have a cable IN attachment just like any TV would. I have mine set up this way.

#10 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

Well if you have a 622, wouldn't one be able to view what is on the home distribution network?

#11 OFFLINE   mikeyinokc

mikeyinokc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

But that tuner will only see OTA broadcasts - NO satellite.

Not neccessarily true. On my 622 I have the the tv2 output cable split and sending the signal to two tv's and my computer. My computer has a tv tuner card. Obviously you won't receive the satellite signal going directly from the dish to the computer.

#12 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:51 AM

Ok.. so the short answer of No is really not that short because there are definitely ways of getting the receivers outputs into a computer by the typicall ways. TV tuner card etc. Based on the OP poster, I think they were looking for a network connection type of way similar to what TIVO offers.

Looks like we covered the bases here.

#13 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

You can connect dishnet to your computer easily. The procedure is just like hooking up a VCR. You see the RCA or S-Video outports on the dish receiver, connect that to the inputs of your computer's capture card or tv tuner. You have to use your receiver to control the channels though.

You can also hook it up that way and set up a PVR. Just get a program like SageTV or something that sets that up.

#14 OFFLINE   psnarula

psnarula

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:13 PM

i watch dish network on my computer all the time. i have a 322 dual tuner receiver. tv1 goes to a television and tv2 goes to the tv tuner card in my computer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...