Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - Has been enabled, but....

• Please log in to reply
2830 replies to this topic

#2821 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:40 AM

Wow what a great site you have here! I have spent the last two hours studying this thread... I am left with only one question (sorry if already discussed... I couldn't find it): Is it possible to simply replace the internal drive with a larger one, thus removing most, if not all, of the obstacles discussed here? I would think that solution would be superior in many ways if it would work. Any thoughts?

Try this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=164482, and we have another one older then this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2822 OFFLINE   AstroDad

AstroDad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

Wow what a great site you have here! I have spent the last two hours studying this thread... I am left with only one question (sorry if already discussed... I couldn't find it): Is it possible to simply replace the internal drive with a larger one, thus removing most, if not all, of the obstacles discussed here? I would think that solution would be superior in many ways if it would work. Any thoughts?

I think the main problem with this solution is that you are voiding any warranty on the box and there could be a problem getting a replacement from DirecTV if they catch it.

#2823 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

Yes, it is fairly easy if you have ever worked on a PC but there can be complications on certain models but I did it in less than 30 minutes but I do OWN the unit and I have never ever had the Slowness that eSATA drives experience as they get to around 90% capacity used.

Just be aware that you will VOID your warranty and keep the original drive so you can replace it if you have to send the unit back because at some point in the future it dies.

#2824 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

I think the main problem with this solution is that you are voiding any warranty on the box and there could be a problem getting a replacement from DirecTV if they catch it.

The warranty is really meaningless... besides the fact that it expires after 90 days, leased boxes that stop working are replaced by DirecTV for free (with the customer paying for shipping if they don't have the protection plan) regardless of whether or not the warranty is still in effect.

I suspect that if DirecTV wanted to make a concerted effort to determine if a customer had ever replaced their internal drive, they could, but all evidence suggests that they aren't doing that, and it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to start doing that because doing so would only alienate their high end customers who are spending their own money to make DirecTV's product more valuable to them, which helps keep them as a happy and continuing customer.

Edited by cartrivision, 14 September 2009 - 05:40 PM.

#2825 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

I have stated the very same thing in posts dating back more than a year ago. Why alienate their BEST Customers when they have failed to provide a better avenue for us to buy Upgraded DVRs with large drives on them.

I was the First to buy and install a 2 TB Drive in my OWNED HR23-700 which cost me an arm and a leg but it was worth it in my humble opinion as I record lots of Football and Golf and Food Channel stuff that I don't get to watch as soon as I would like.

#2826 OFFLINE   fropones

fropones

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

I'm sure this was already answered, but if I use an external hard drive and then I unplug it and reboot the receiver will it go back to the internal drive with all the old recordings?

#2827 OFFLINE   gdavisloop

gdavisloop

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

Yes, you can use several external hard drives, as well as the internal drive.
I recommend you unplug the power of the receiver before changing drives, although some people just switch off the power on the external drive and then reboot through the menu (to get back to the internal drive).

Keep in mind that each drive has its own "to do" list for recording, ie, you must separately set up the list of shows you want recorded on each disk.

Also, it takes considerable time to reboot - more than 10 mins - so swapping disks is not all that fun.

--Gary

#2828 OFFLINE   RussBarr

RussBarr

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

I received firmware 62c at 3:38am December 4. My HR20/700 receiver never rebooted. Front panel was dark buttons did nothing. Reset started the Boot but it never made it to Self Test it just kept rebooting over and over. I have a LIANLI EX-20 RAID box connected with one 2TB drive. It was working fine in 5d2 version. I disconnected the RAID box and the receiver restarted OK. Reconnecting RAID that uses Silicon Image SIL5744 RAID controller resulted in the failed boot. Removing the 2TB drive and connecting it directly to the external ESADA connector resulted in a successful reboot but the drive needed to be reformatted since it was no longer under the SteelvVine storage Processor control resulting in the loss of all recorded movies. It looks to me like the LINUX version that was used to build firmware version 62c is not compatible with SIL5744 Storage Processor.

#2829 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,280 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Just out of curiosity, if you forced a download via 02468, would it re-download 062c, or would it download the most recent national release? If the latter, maybe this would help you to regain your recordings (unless, of course, they were wiped out).

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#2830 OFFLINE   RussBarr

RussBarr

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

According to DirecTV there is no way to revert to an older Firmware or for that mater to opt out of a new release. Since I reformatted my hard drive the File allocation tables are wiped clean and the data is lost even though the actual data is there until it is recorded over. Trying to rebuild the allocation tables would require working with the drive offline with tools to modify the holly places on the drive. Not something you would want to try unless your life depended on it.

#2831 OFFLINE   RussBarr

RussBarr

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

If I had knew of the problem I could have connected the RAID box to a LINUX system and done a image copy to a bare drive and then used the bare drive in the 62c firmware box. Even though the files are encrypted to a specific receiver the image copy would just copy all the data without knowing what it was and the new stand alone drive would have all the files the original RAID box had. Maybe the next person with this issue (if any) would know how to recover there files.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...