Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - Has been enabled, but....

• Please log in to reply
2830 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:20 AM

Does it format the drive EVERY time you connect it? I like bonscott87's idea of having a drive for different types of programs....

From what I have been told... it will look at the disk first... see if it is already formated... and only format if necessary
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Earl, so happens I'm getting my second HR20-700 installed today.
So after it downloads the new software, and since the internal drive has no recordings, I'm going to hook up the eSata.

I have a 500GB MaxtorQuickview Hardrive just waiting to be hooked up.
I estimate since the 300GB gets 50 Hrs MPEG-4 then my 500GB should get me a bit over 80 hrs MPEG-4.

I already have a enclosure but I cant remember where I got it online
I was using it for over a year with my Explorer 8300HD with no problems, so it should work just fine with the HR20!!

I cant wait to give this a try....

I will keep you posted

One more thing Earl,
If I did have recordings on the internal Drive Could I watch them If the External was Disconnected ????

Thanks
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

#23 OFFLINE   rkester

rkester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:19 AM

Interesting. Anyone actually tried it yet? :) (curious why this was chosen to be implimented before the OTA activation)

#24 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

One more thing Earl,
If I did have recordings on the internal Drive Could I watch them If the External was Disconnected ????

I don't know... give it a try.
Quickly record one item before rebooting with the eSATA connected.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

A request.... if you connect an eSATA device... please post your results here...

List the make/model/size of your eSATA device.
Especially if you built it your self (purchased an enclosure, and add a drive).

If anyone out there has endless amounts of money... I am curious to see if this bad boy will work:
http://www.rad-direc...-RAID-Array.htm

Ah! Now I see where you got the "21Tb" number in your previous posts. :D

I've got 2 Seagate 400gb SATA drives I bought from the local Fry's. They had a Labor Day sale, each was $99. I might try this if I can find an enclosure that will hold both drives and do RAID 0.

#26 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

Interesting. Anyone actually tried it yet? :) (curious why this was chosen to be implimented before the OTA activation)

Probably cause this was easier to code. All they probably needed to do was enable it to detect an external drive and tell it to use the external SATA controller instead of the internal one.

#27 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

I've got 2 Seagate 400gb SATA drives I bought from the local Fry's. They had a Labor Day sale, each was $99. I might try this if I can find an enclosure that will hold both drives and do RAID 0.

There are others out there:
http://www.meritline...sb2--ms2ut.html
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#28 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

Do they make enclosures for multiple drives that enable RAID over a single eSATA connection?

#29 OFFLINE   sbcale

sbcale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

I don't think eSATA is needed right now. Instead, what I really really want to see is to be able to network HR20 boxes together and the ability to view recording on each other. This is going to be Tivo killer feature and will differentiate DirectTV from the rest of the crowd...

After this is done, then eSATA will be next, of course I want to see to ability to add eSATA drive as the 2nd storage space, not a replacement.

Couldn't agree more! :)

#30 OFFLINE   rkester

rkester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

So ooc, what sized drive would be needed to make it worth the trouble to use an eSata instead of the built in drive?

If you just used one the same size, you'd still be doubling your recording space right? just not at the same time.

#31 OFFLINE   Bad Rex

Bad Rex

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Earl, so happens I'm getting my second HR20-700 installed today.
So after it downloads the new software, and since the internal drive has no recordings, I'm going to hook up the eSata.

I have a 500GB MaxtorQuickview Hardrive just waiting to be hooked up.
I estimate since the 300GB gets 50 Hrs MPEG-4 then my 500GB should get me a bit over 80 hrs MPEG-4.

DVRaholic, if I had known you existed I would have picked another handle. If I stick around for a while, I'll probably change it to avoid confusion.

DVRaholic & DVRcoholic -- different people, same addiction :D

#32 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

There are others out there:
http://www.meritline...sb2--ms2ut.html

Do they make enclosures for multiple drives that enable RAID over a single eSATA connection?

Found that one and even more here:

http://www.cooldrive...00gb-400gb.html

#33 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

If you just used one the same size, you'd still be doubling your recording space right? just not at the same time.

You'd also have to keep two separate sets of Series Links synced up, which would be a pain in the ass. But, I am glad to see that they are starting to embrace upgrades. Once they code in some more functionality for the eSATA port, it will be a great feature and an incredible differentiator from other DVRs.

#34 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

I need to know this also, this way with 2 500GB drives I would have 180 Hours MPEG-4 recording space WOW!!
:icon_da: :joy: :goodjob::dance: :icon_da: :blowout: :icon_da: :joy: :goodjob::dance: :icon_da: :blowout:

!pride
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

#35 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

I need to know this also, this way with 2 500GB drives I would have 180 Hours MPEG-4 recording space WOW!!
:icon_da: :joy: :goodjob: !pride :dance: :icon_da: :blowout:

Check here:

http://www.cooldrive...00gb-400gb.html

Haven't ordered from them before, but there are options.

#36 OFFLINE   rkester

rkester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

So like if you had a spouse who used the unit when you werent, they could have their own external drive and settings etc?

#37 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:47 AM

first good news for hr20 owners in quite a while. can't wait to try a 750 gig disk this weekend :)

#38 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:47 AM

So like if you had a spouse who used the unit when you werent, they could have their own external drive and settings etc?

I suppose, but you have to unplug the HR20 power cord if you want to switch back to the internal drive or even to use a different external drive. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

#39 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:49 AM

That wouldn't work because you'd have to remember to switch the drives out to record each set of SLs, and you could not ever have an SL for you and your wife at the same time.

#40 OFFLINE   rkester

rkester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:51 AM

ever tried sharing a dvr with a GF who thinks her stuff is more important and deletes yours? ;) id give the GF the internal and she'd never be able to mess with me again. except that im single again.

another question... what about the drive itself and the formatting. any details on how? ex: if i had a drive i used on my computer. would the dvr format the whole thing or just free space or give me a choice? will a drive formatdd by the dvr be usable at all for pc/mac later? or will i have to reformat in hfs/ext/fat32/whatever to use on computer again?

spam firewall