Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - Has been enabled, but....

• Please log in to reply
2830 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:53 AM

would the dvr format the whole thing or just free space or give me a choice? will a drive formatdd by the dvr be usable at all for pc/mac later? or will i have to reformat in hfs/ext/fat32/whatever to use on computer again?

The drive would be completely formatted by the HR20, any existing data would be lost. It would not be usable on a computer until you reformatted it, which would then make it useless in the HR20.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

another question... what about the drive itself and the formatting. any details on how? ex: if i had a drive i used on my computer. would the dvr format the whole thing or just free space or give me a choice? will a drive formatdd by the dvr be usable at all for pc/mac later? or will i have to reformat in hfs/ext/fat32/whatever to use on computer again?

As it was explained to me, it will format the entire drive.... wouldn't be viewable on a PC... and if you wanted to use the drive again on PC, you would have to reformat it.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#43 OFFLINE   rkester

rkester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:56 AM

So basically, to add a new drive currently =

1 or the other not both
drive is sacrified to be used only by the dvr

i assume eventually they will figure out how to share your SLs settings etc so it could work as an overflow drive or backup.

#44 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:00 AM

So basically, to add a new drive currently =

1 or the other not both
drive is sacrified to be used only by the dvr

i assume eventually they will figure out how to share your SLs settings etc so it could work as an overflow drive or backup.

Yes, and realistically the fact that the whole drive needs to be dedicated to the HR20 will probably never change. But I can definitely see them setting it up so that at least all settings are stored on the internal drive. It would be great to have both drives be available for recordings too.

#45 OFFLINE   thumperr

thumperr

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

I have a feeling that enabling the Extrenal SATA port is in response to this thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...d drive upgrade

for anyone that works with the insides of computers a lot, this doesn;t sound hard, nor much more difficult than the UTV upgrade.

I'd bet because the internal eSATA is no longer in use, the boot up parameters were simply changed for the SATA controller to check port1 (assuming this is the external port) first then port0 (assuming this is the internal port). if this was the case, then use of an eSATA drive would be as reliable as use of the internal drive.

#46 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:04 AM

I'd bet because the internal eSATA is no longer in use, the boot up parameters were simply changed for the SATA controller to check port1 (assuming this is the external port) first then port0 (assuming this is the internal port). if this was the case, then use of an eSATA drive would be as reliable as use of the internal drive.

err, except you're now adding all the failure modes for the external enclosure..

#47 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

Here is another two drive enclosure...

http://www.synetic.n...doms/SR3610.htm
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:31 AM

DVRaholic, if I had known you existed I would have picked another handle. If I stick around for a while, I'll probably change it to avoid confusion.

DVRaholic & DVRcoholic -- different people, same addiction :D

I have the Same name on Mutiple Forums, and I have used it for a while
so maybe you should change it to DVRjunkie, or HR20coholic :D
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

#49 OFFLINE   Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

So, it's unplug the power cord to the unit and attach an eSata external HDD. Plug back in the power cord and turn on the unit to format the external HDD?

What if we want to use the internal HDD again. It's unplug the power cord of the unit, detach the external HD and plug back in the power cord and then what? Will the internal drive be reformatted, or since it was already formatted and used, it'll be simply "read" and all is good?

Again, same thing with reattaching the external HDD. I would hate for the HR20 to constantly reformat the HDD when switching between the two if that's at all possible.

If we can never use the external HDD with movies stored on it with a different unit, then what's really the point in doing so? Couldn't DirecTV ask for the unit back since we're only leasing it from them, thus making all those stored movies useless?

I would like to use an external HDD storage device right away. I have only 35% space left on my HR20 for new recordings thanks to all the great HD movies I have stored on it.

#50 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

Yes, and realistically the fact that the whole drive needs to be dedicated to the HR20 will probably never change. But I can definitely see them setting it up so that at least all settings are stored on the internal drive. It would be great to have both drives be available for recordings too.

This shouldn't be a problem. My Cablevision SA 8300HDDVR can do this, all you need to do is unplug the power, plug in the eSATA, reboot and 5 minutes later you will have 2 drives connected together (internal and external) and you can record on both.
The Box decides which drive to record on, usually the one with more space available.
So this shouldnt be a major thing for Directv to activate this on Our HR20-700's
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

#51 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

So this shouldnt be a major thing for Directv to activate this on Our HR20-700's

It is a major thing, it's a ton of new code.

#52 OFFLINE   Howie

Howie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:47 AM

You can't just plug in the external drive and do a red button reset?

#53 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

Interesting. Anyone actually tried it yet? :) (curious why this was chosen to be implimented before the OTA activation)

Probably as a "throwing the dog a bone" gesture in the absence adding real functionality.

#54 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

Probably cause this was easier to code. All they probably needed to do was enable it to detect an external drive and tell it to use the external SATA controller instead of the internal one.

But is it really fair to release it with the caveat that it is largely untested and a warning that they aren't going to support it?

#55 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

But is it really fair to release it with the caveat that it is largely untested and a warning that they aren't going to support it?

Why not?

It is a feature that you have to actually go out buy an eSATA solution, then plug it in.... If you don't want to take the risk of using it, you don't have to go out and use it...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#56 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:02 PM

So, it's unplug the power cord to the unit and attach an eSata external HDD. Plug back in the power cord and turn on the unit to format the external HDD?

What if we want to use the internal HDD again. It's unplug the power cord of the unit, detach the external HD and plug back in the power cord and then what? Will the internal drive be reformatted, or since it was already formatted and used, it'll be simply "read" and all is good?

Again, same thing with reattaching the external HDD. I would hate for the HR20 to constantly reformat the HDD when switching between the two if that's at all possible.

You got it. And as Earl has posted and is in the first post, it will detect if it's already formatted and leave it alone. It will only format if it's not already.

And as posted, the port was simply activated. There are not "ready for prime time" features here. It's just enabled if you want to play with it for now. This will also help DirecTV get detailed info on the various drives and enclosures and see what works and what doesn't. Think of it as a true beta test which is the way I view it.

#57 OFFLINE   cuibap

cuibap

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:02 PM

This shouldn't be a problem. My Cablevision SA 8300HDDVR can do this, all you need to do is unplug the power, plug in the eSATA, reboot and 5 minutes later you will have 2 drives connected together (internal and external) and you can record on both.
The Box decides which drive to record on, usually the one with more space available.

I don't think it's good to let the box decide which drive to record on. I think it should fill up the internal drive first and then the external one. It also should have the option so we can move recording from one drive to the other and then unplug it and move the external to another HR20 box and watch it.

#58 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

Why not?

It is a feature that you have to actually go out buy an eSATA solution, then plug it in.... If you don't want to take the risk of using it, you don't have to go out and use it...

Sigh....I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to complain about it. Unreal and sad :nono2:

They simply activated it, let the techies play with it for a few months, then work on some solid features for it later on after OTA and so forth are rolled out.

#59 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

I don't think it's good to let the box decide which drive to record on. I think it should fill up the internal drive first and then the external one. It also should have the option so we can move recording from one drive to the other and then unplug it and move the external to another HR20 box and watch it.

And now you all see why fully implementing this functionality isn't trivial.

#60 OFFLINE   jdmac29

jdmac29

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

I have older computer, no sata stuff on it, but I have a relatively new 200 GB WD internal ide hard drive used for video recording only. Looking at www.cooldrives.com some of the enclosures will take an ide drive and use an sata connection. Does anyone think this will work with the hr20-700?

spam firewall