Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - Has been enabled, but....

• Please log in to reply
2830 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

And end up supporting the users on this forum!? No thanks!!! :D

Why... they could just release it as an unsupported/undocumented enclosure... :) I mean it is easy right? :D
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   racrex

racrex

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

Ok. I want to make sure that I undstand this correctly before the wife comes at me with a baseball bat. Currently, I have several Law & Orders and some other important stuff recoreded that has not been viewed that resides on the internal drive. Now, if i hookup the eSATA drive I will not be able to transfer so in order to view those shows I need to either disconnect the drive or wait until all shows are watched. Is that correct?

#83 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

Why... they could just release it as an unsupported/undocumented enclosure... :) I mean it is easy right? :D

They'd have to explain over and over why their customers don't need to buy gold-plated oxygen-free ESATA cables ;-)

#84 OFFLINE   pgfitzgerald

pgfitzgerald

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

I'm predicting the WAF of an external disk enclosure hanging off the HR20 to be around 0 :)

What about MAF (my acceptance factor)? :) There are very few eSATA enclosures I find acceptable with regard to their looks.

I could care less about flashy neon lights. I don't really want one that looks like the knobby tires of Bigfoot. I don't need racing stripes, as it won't be going anywhere. :grin:

I did manage to find one enclosure I thought was pretty decent though.

That is why some enterprising smart company, needs to make an enclosure that is the same width as the HR20 with a height just necessary to hold the drives and keep a good air flow around it.

I'd pay for that. :)

Paul
Family Room: DIRECTV HR24-500 [HDMI] SAMSUNG 56" HDTV (HL-S5687W) [eSATA] Antec MX-1 + WD20EVDS
Master Bedroom: DIRECTV H21-200 [HDMI] VIZIO 37" HDTV (VO370M)
Office: DIRECTV D12-300 [S-Video] Toshiba 14" SDTV (14AF43)
Equipment & Wiring: DIRECTV Slimline-3S (SWM), Belden RG6/U Coax (7915A)

#85 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

What if we want to use the internal HDD again. It's unplug the power cord of the unit, detach the external HD and plug back in the power cord and then what? Will the internal drive be reformatted, or since it was already formatted and used, it'll be simply "read" and all is good?

Again, same thing with reattaching the external HDD. I would hate for the HR20 to constantly reformat the HDD when switching between the two if that's at all possible.

Earl, did I miss the answer to this or do we not know? If we don't I hope that someone tests this.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#86 OFFLINE   jedster

jedster

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

This is very cool and I hope that DirecTV supports more stuff like this to return to the top spot in the DVR world.

I do have a few ?s:

- Can anybody recommend the best value for an eSATA enclosure? I have both IDE and SATA drives I could use.

- Does anybody know of an eSATA enclosure that will support an array of disks (potentially RAID) that will appear to the HR20-700 as a single volume?

Thanks.

p.s.: I did find this unit (http://www.cooldrive...osure-raid.html) but it doesn't look like it has eSATA. :(
- 10 years and counting with D*
- 3 HR20s (2 modified to be silent)
- 2 H20s connected via S-Video to my HTPC (Vista Media Center)
- Anxiously awaiting D*'s tuner for Windows Vista (hope they don't screw it up like CableLabs did!) :)

#87 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:37 PM

eSATA 500GB Drive is up and Running :D

I Unpluged power to HR20, powered up My External enclosure with SATA drive, plugged into back of HR20.

I then plugged in HR20 and let it power up... everything the same, never asked for me to reformat drive (maybe because it is a clean drive)

I cant tell difference, didnt know if external drive was working with the exception that my Favorite list reset (Earl mentioned this would happen)

So to test if the external drive was working with the HR20 I pulled the SATA cord out of the back of the HR20, and 30 seconds later the box froze up and went to black screen. I guess his tells me that the eSATA drive was indeed working.

I guess the only way to tell is to fill the hard drive up... But that wont happen for a while. I dont have time to play with filling it up. I will let that Naturally happen :)

Earl, is there any way to look in the menus to see if it is recording to the External drive and not the Internal ???
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

#88 OFFLINE   YankeeFan

YankeeFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:37 PM

This is very cool and I hope that DirecTV supports more stuff like this to return to the top spot in the DVR world.

I do have a few ?s:

- Can anybody recommend the best value for an eSATA enclosure? I have both IDE and SATA drives I could use.

- Does anybody know of an eSATA enclosure that will support an array of disks (potentially RAID) that will appear to the HR20-700 as a single volume?

Thanks.

p.s.: I did find this unit (http://www.cooldrive...osure-raid.html) but it doesn't look like it has eSATA. :(

This is the one I'm looking at...it has built in hardware RAID 0 and RAID 1

Posted Image

http://www.nitroav.com/product/442/

HR20-700 --> HDMI --> Mitsubishi HD1000U DLP PJ (1 TB eSATA RAID)
HR20-700 HDMI --> DVI --> Toshiba 57HX93 RPTV
Philips DirecTivo --> S-Video --> Toshiba 57HX93 RPTV
Philips DirecTivo --> S-Video --> Samsung 20" LCD

AT-9 Dish
Zinwell WB68 6x8 Multi-Switch

#89 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:39 PM

Earl, is there any way to look in the menus to see if it is recording to the External drive and not the Internal ???

record and see if the disk access light flashes?

#90 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

record and see if the disk access light flashes?

I have a Cheapo holder, no lights... But it does have a power button... turned it off, Picture Froze YEAH BABY!

:icon_band
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

1-5lnb Slimline

#91 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

Posted Image

Not a bad price... I think I might go for this one also, THANKS
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

1-5lnb Slimline

#92 OFFLINE   rkester

rkester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:55 PM

How about this as an idea for using a external to compliment the internal.

What if you setup the internal for say just Mon-Thurs programs. THen swapped it with the eSata and it only did Fri-Sun programs. It would be connected during when its programming would record and not be there when it wasnt needed.

If you need to watch something off it during hte week to catchup, youd haev to boot off it.

I would have gotten one just to store FireFly and Serenity in HD alone. lol.

#93 OFFLINE   jedster

jedster

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

RAID-0 means i can put to 500GB SATA drives in this box and the HR20-700 will see it as a single 1TB drive, correct?
- Anxiously awaiting D*'s tuner for Windows Vista (hope they don't screw it up like CableLabs did!) :)

#94 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

As far as I know.... no
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#95 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

RAID-0 means i can put to 500GB SATA drives in this box and the HR20-700 will see it as a single 1TB drive, correct?

Yes... that is exactly what it means.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#96 OFFLINE   YankeeFan

YankeeFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

Yes, but it also means that if one of the drives goes bad...you lose ALL your data on both drives.

HR20-700 --> HDMI --> Mitsubishi HD1000U DLP PJ (1 TB eSATA RAID)
HR20-700 HDMI --> DVI --> Toshiba 57HX93 RPTV
Philips DirecTivo --> S-Video --> Toshiba 57HX93 RPTV
Philips DirecTivo --> S-Video --> Samsung 20" LCD

AT-9 Dish
Zinwell WB68 6x8 Multi-Switch

#97 OFFLINE   jedster

jedster

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

Yes, but it also means that if one of the drives goes bad...you lose ALL your data on both drives.

Does the HR20-700 care what kind of RAID it is? Like for example if I found a RAID5 enclosure would it still see both volumes as 1 large volume (which is of course smaller than 2x due to the RAID5)?

#98 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

Does the HR20-700 care what kind of RAID it is? Like for example if I found a RAID5 enclosure would it still see both volumes as 1 large volume (which is of course smaller than 2x due to the RAID5)?

The enclosure is the one that is going to do all the RAIDing... and should expose it self as a single drive via the eSATA connection.

So... if what ever enclosure you select, presents the data stream as a single drive... the HR20 should work with it. RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID10 shouldn't matter.

RAID-5 however, may be problimatic because slower read/write speeds
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#99 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:06 PM

Now, if i hookup the eSATA drive I will not be able to transfer so in order to view those shows I need to either disconnect the drive or wait until all shows are watched. Is that correct?

Please re-read the first and last detail bullet items of the original post. Your questions are answered quite definitively there.

#100 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

Posted Image

Bad thing it's have 500 GB per disk limit.

spam firewall