Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - Has been enabled, but....

• Please log in to reply
2830 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:30 PM

Heres a 1TB System, it includes the Hard Drives

http://www.macmall.c...dpno~707413.asp

Or this one... On backorder though...

http://www.macmall.c...pno~7117840.asp
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   hadji

hadji

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:36 PM

Seems like there is a usb 2.0 to eSata adapter from doing a little research. could this or something similar be used to turn my 500gb usb 2.0/firewire enabled external drive in to an eSata useable drive? Sorry, but this topic is just a wee bit advanced for me right now so I am fishing for bits and pieces.

#103 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

Heres a 1TB System, it includes the Hard Drives

http://www.macmall.c...dpno~707413.asp

Pricey...

#104 OFFLINE   jedster

jedster

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

The enclosure is the one that is going to do all the RAIDing... and should expose it self as a single drive via the eSATA connection.

So... if what ever enclosure you select, presents the data stream as a single drive... the HR20 should work with it. RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID10 shouldn't matter.

RAID-5 however, may be problimatic because slower read/write speeds

I doubt that I'll invest in redundancy, but which fault tolerant RAID solution is the fastest?

Another probably off-topic RAID question: do RAID devices usually care which file system you use (i.e., FAT32, NTFS, etc.) or do they let the PC or DVR choose?
- 10 years and counting with D*
- 3 HR20s (2 modified to be silent)
- 2 H20s connected via S-Video to my HTPC (Vista Media Center)
- Anxiously awaiting D*'s tuner for Windows Vista (hope they don't screw it up like CableLabs did!) :)

#105 OFFLINE   Twosted

Twosted

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

Anyone tried this with success yet?

#106 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

Anyone tried this with success yet?

Yes, someone has posted that they got it working. In this thread, as a matter of fact...

#107 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

I doubt that I'll invest in redundancy, but which fault tolerant RAID solution is the fastest?

Another probably off-topic RAID question: do RAID devices usually care which file system you use (i.e., FAT32, NTFS, etc.) or do they let the PC or DVR choose?

no, they are working in term of LBA, ie from sector 0 to sector MAX.

#108 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

RAID doesn't care about file systems. All it cares about are which 0s and 1s it needs to store on which drives.

#109 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

Seems like there is a usb 2.0 to eSata adapter from doing a little research. could this or something similar be used to turn my 500gb usb 2.0/firewire enabled external drive in to an eSata useable drive? Sorry, but this topic is just a wee bit advanced for me right now so I am fishing for bits and pieces.

All depends on that adapter.... if it doesn't need any special drivers, it should work fine... Do you have a link for the adapter?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#110 OFFLINE   jedster

jedster

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Yes, someone has posted that they got it working. In this thread, as a matter of fact...

Where can I find this thread? :confused: :confused: :confused:
- Anxiously awaiting D*'s tuner for Windows Vista (hope they don't screw it up like CableLabs did!) :)

#111 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Where can I find this thread? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Post #87 in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...7029#post677029

#112 OFFLINE   hadji

hadji

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

All depends on that adapter.... if it doesn't need any special drivers, it should work fine... Do you have a link for the adapter?

http://www.newegg.co...&ATT=12-174-001

#113 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

http://www.newegg.co...&ATT=12-174-001

That is the same one I found in a search, but it is backwards for this application.

That adapter is to take an eSATA device and connect it to a USB Port.
We need an adapter that takes a USB Device and connects it to a eSATA port.

Or is it just too late and I am backwards?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#114 OFFLINE   hadji

hadji

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

That is the same one I found in a search, but it is backwards for this application.

That adapter is to take an eSATA device and connect it to a USB Port.
We need an adapter that takes a USB Device and connects it to a eSATA port.

Or is it just too late and I am backwards?

It looked that way to me as well, but wouldn't a male to male esata cable and a usb coupler make this compatible?

#115 OFFLINE   thumperr

thumperr

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

The enclosure is the one that is going to do all the RAIDing... and should expose it self as a single drive via the eSATA connection.

So... if what ever enclosure you select, presents the data stream as a single drive... the HR20 should work with it. RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID10 shouldn't matter.

RAID-5 however, may be problimatic because slower read/write speeds

You would have no performance impact from RAID5 for reading data, unless a drive had failed, and then the data would have to be recomposed from parity. Read performance will be similar to RAID0.

Write performance could be impacted, but a decent controller would minimize this. The HR20 would not be calculating parity, the controller is. so as long as the controller is meant for SATA drives then it sould be able to handle the data rate. if you used a controller for ATA then the throughput would probably be insufficient for the SATA drives.

#116 OFFLINE   wmccain

wmccain

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

I'm predicting the WAF of an external disk enclosure hanging off the HR20 to be around 0 :)

That is why some enterprising smart company, needs to make an enclosure that is the same width as the HR20 with a height just necessary to hold the drives and keep a good air flow around it.

Can you spell "Middle Atlantic custom rackshelf"?

Seriously, I rackmount everything, including odd-shaped items such as routers and other computer gear. Thank god for Middle Atlantic, they will make custom faceplates for practically anything. If it's not already in their database, you send them the dimensions of the cutout (if rectangular) or a sample of the actual item (if it is trapezoidal, has rounded corners, etc.).

The shelves are ventilated. The faceplates come in two anodized finishes, brushed-black or silver. 100% guaranteed WAF.

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California

#117 OFFLINE   jedster

jedster

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:31 PM

Post #87 in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...7029#post677029

i knew that. sarcasm. :lol:

#118 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:31 PM

100% guaranteed WAF.

You've got a great wife. Mine doesn't dig 19" racks :)

#119 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

It looked that way to me as well, but wouldn't a male to male esata cable and a usb coupler make this compatible?

I don't know if it would.. guess it depends on what is going on inside that adapter.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#120 OFFLINE   wmccain

wmccain

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:42 PM

You've got a great wife. Mine doesn't dig 19" racks :)

There are ways to make them attractive, and that's partly what the Middle Atlantic custom shelves are all about. They look finished, not "industrial" like (say) a typical computer server rack.

Also, they need to be well-integrated with cabinets and other furniture. To be sure, many of my racks (e.g. the ones in the living room) have oak "cabinet doors" that hide them from view. I did that because my late wife, rest her soul, absolutely forbid me to have (visible) electronics in the living room.

But everyone, including the incumbent "lady of the house", thinks the racks look "great" when I open the cabinet doors and show them off ...

Bill

spam firewall