Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - Has been enabled, but....

• Please log in to reply
2830 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   talbain

talbain

Legend

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

Where can I find this thread? :confused: :confused: :confused:

lol

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   hadji

hadji

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

I don't know if it would.. guess it depends on what is going on inside that adapter.

Here is a link to their website for more info.

http://www.addonics..../io/aau2esa.asp

I just emailed them and asked them if this would be a viable option. I will post when I find out something.

#123 OFFLINE   Andrew_J_M

Andrew_J_M

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:12 AM

I applaud DirectV for enabling the eSATA port so quickly, I am always sceptical when I see something labeled "for future use", because tomorrow is another day.

Personally I would prefer to have the LAN port enabled with the ability to network units but that probably wouldn't be quite the as easy.

In the meantime I hope that someone at D* is monitoring this thread and looking for suggestions as to how the eSATA could be used, perhaps even a seperate thread could be set up for it.

My list;

Ability to use internal and external drives in tandem - keeping the recording schedule on the internal drive.
I would like to be able to nominate which drive a recording should use and move recordings from drive to drive.
Hot sync, so the unit doesn't have to download the EPG information every time I plug in an eSATA drive.
Swap eSATA between units activated to the same account.
A means to archive recordings, maybe to PC files, which could then only be played back on a unit active on the same account.

There are obviously legal issues involved, I wouldn't want D* to activate some function that causes them to get involved in a big suit which would then delay further development.

I would still suggest that networking HR20s is a higher priority than any of the above, but that's just me.

Bring on OTA!

#124 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:17 AM

I applaud DirectV for enabling the eSATA port so quickly, I am always sceptical when I see something labeled "for future use", because tomorrow is another day.

Personally I would prefer to have the LAN port enabled with the ability to network units but that probably wouldn't be quite the as easy.

In the meantime I hope that someone at D* is monitoring this thread and looking for suggestions as to how the eSATA could be used, perhaps even a seperate thread could be set up for it.

My list;

Ability to use internal and external drives in tandem - keeping the recording schedule on the internal drive.
I would like to be able to nominate which drive a recording should use and move recordings from drive to drive.
Hot sync, so the unit doesn't have to download the EPG information every time I plug in an eSATA drive.
Swap eSATA between units activated to the same account.
A means to archive recordings, maybe to PC files, which could then only be played back on a unit active on the same account.

There are obviously legal issues involved, I wouldn't want D* to activate some function that causes them to get involved in a big suit which would then delay further development.

I would still suggest that networking HR20s is a higher priority than any of the above, but that's just me.

Bring on OTA!

Totally agree with all your points. :)

#125 OFFLINE   mstecker

mstecker

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:30 AM

I'd love to see this functionality also, especially hooking up to my Mac and iTunes! If someone wrote some type of application that could take the content on the HR20 and encode it for my iPod or even later use with Apple's upcoming iTV... that would be sooo cool!

.... but then again, that means Apple would be losing TV show sales in the iTunes Store, hmmm...

#126 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,227 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:50 AM

Has anyone confirmed that the drive is not re-formatted if it has already been formatted?

For example, record something on the internal drive. Remove power and install an external drive. Bring the unit up and record something on the external drive. Remove power and remove the external drive. Bring the unit back up on the internal drive. Recording(s) still there and useable. Remove power and plug the external drive back in. Bring the unit up and verify recording(s) still there and useable.

If so, then it would also seem that you could have multiple external drives (only using one at a time of course) with different sets of recordings. I know that your other settings, SL's, etc., are not preserved, at least at this time.

Carl

#127 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

Has anyone confirmed that the drive is not re-formatted if it has already been formatted?

The unit appears to treat external drives exactly the same as the internal drive. And the internal drive is not formatted every time you boot up. So...

#128 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

Just a ditto for eSATA for archiving, storage. That's how I have my Mac set-up -- store all iTunes and iPhoto files in the external firewire drive [backups, as well, of course]. Since I have another external storing backups from another Mac, I setup Backup to backup music, video, photos to whichever external they're not in. Redundancy rules.

OTA can't get here soon enough!

Looking forward to hooking up wireless access point to ethernet port > streaming IPTV files, e.g. Cranky Geeks, MacBreak, command-N and dl.tv and watching them in the LR instead of my study. WAF doesn't allow for more holes in the walls and cables strung under the soffit from the study to the LR.

#129 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

I'm just looking for potential bugs by saying this, but....

If you perform the full HR20 reset/HD format, will it format the internal drive or will it know that the external drive is connected and format that instead?

#130 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

I'm just looking for potential bugs by saying this, but....

If you perform the full HR20 reset/HD format, will it format the internal drive or will it know that the external drive is connected and format that instead?

My guess is if the eSATA is connected it would format that drive.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#131 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

eSATA 500GB Drive is up and Running :D

I Unpluged power to HR20, powered up My External enclosure with SATA drive, plugged into back of HR20.

I then plugged in HR20 and let it power up... everything the same, never asked for me to reformat drive (maybe because it is a clean drive)

I cant tell difference, didnt know if external drive was working with the exception that my Favorite list reset (Earl mentioned this would happen)

So to test if the external drive was working with the HR20 I pulled the SATA cord out of the back of the HR20, and 30 seconds later the box froze up and went to black screen. I guess his tells me that the eSATA drive was indeed working.

I guess the only way to tell is to fill the hard drive up... But that wont happen for a while. I dont have time to play with filling it up. I will let that Naturally happen :)

Earl, is there any way to look in the menus to see if it is recording to the External drive and not the Internal ???

So what happen's if you turn it back off and take the external out? Does it go back to the orignal state using the internal drive (ie. are the shows recorded on the internal still there and the SL's) or does it wipe the internal drive.

BTW when you said the favorites where gone, did you mean the Series Links?
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#132 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:51 PM

So what happen's if you turn it back off and take the external out? Does it go back to the orignal state using the internal drive (ie. are the shows recorded on the internal still there and the SL's) or does it wipe the internal drive.

BTW when you said the favorites where gone, did you mean the Series Links?

It was a New HR20, so I had no SL set up.
Because of my WF :( I'm not gong to mess around pulling drive/rebooting. Everytime this is done I lose the Guide data and it needs a full 24 hrs to repopulate. Major pain, PLUS it seems to be working fine now. 2 recordings from last nite, and I dont want to mess up the DVR with all the rebooting and plug/unplugging sata drive. My luck something will get broken.

One thing I did notice Once you set up your favorites the hard drive will keep the information, I noticed this when I first pulled the external drive, the original drive kept the original information. I would assume it would do the same for any SL set up on each drive.

I ordered this baby today..
http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
FREE Shipping and NO TAX

I should have it by tuesday, and I will be setting it up with 1-500GB quickview drive & 1-250GB Western Digital drive. This should give me 125 Hrs Mpeg-4 recording And Or 75 Hrs Mpeg-2

:)
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

#133 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

1) RAID controller will take minimal disk size for stripe/mirror, ie 500+250 => 500 GB
2) a spec of the gadget limiting max size of each disk to 500 GB, ie 1 TB total.

#134 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

It was a New HR20, so I had no SL set up.
Because of my WF :( I'm not gong to mess around pulling drive/rebooting. Everytime this is done I lose the Guide data and it needs a full 24 hrs to repopulate. Major pain, PLUS it seems to be working fine now. 2 recordings from last nite, and I dont want to mess up the DVR with all the rebooting and plug/unplugging sata drive. My luck something will get broken.

One thing I did notice Once you set up your favorites the hard drive will keep the information, I noticed this when I first pulled the external drive, the original drive kept the original information. I would assume it would do the same for any SL set up on each drive.

I ordered this baby today..
http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
FREE Shipping and NO TAX

I should have it by tuesday, and I will be setting it up with 1-500GB quickview drive & 1-250GB Western Digital drive. This should give me 125 Hrs Mpeg-4 recording And Or 75 Hrs Mpeg-2

:)

If you can when you add external will you try it and see what happens. Sounds like you'll have more than enought HD space now :D
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#135 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

1) RAID controller will get minimal disk size for stripe/mirror, ie 500+250 => 500 GB
2) a spec of the gadget limiting max size of each disk to 500 GB, ie 1 TB total.

So what you are trying to say is 500GB and 250GB wont give me 750 total ??

I need Identical sized drives to make RAID work properly ??

For example If I had two 320GB drives I would get 640GB right ???
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

1-5lnb Slimline

#136 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

Right, but again : 500+250 will give only 500 GB.
You don't need identical HDD, just similar size, total = smallest size x 2.

#137 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

Right, but again : 500+250 will give only 500 GB.
You don't need identical HDD, just similar size, total = smallest size x 2.

Got iT! Thanks...

So if I dont want to waste my 500GB drive I need another 500Gb drive (any brand) to benifit from RAID, then I will have 1TB

Which is 164 Hrs MPEG-4, and 100 Hrs Mpeg-2
WOW
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

1-5lnb Slimline

#138 OFFLINE   JBernardK

JBernardK

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:30 PM

earl,

Is this the long term solution that DirecTV will use for eSATA, or is it possible they will implement something different later? By different I mean, for example, using both the internal and external together to add more space. Or will they sell a unit with no internal HD? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to disable the internal drive, but I'm sure they did it this way because it was a quick and easy solution.

#139 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

Got iT! Thanks...

So if I dont want to waste my 500GB drive I need another 500Gb drive (any brand) to benifit from RAID, then I will have 1TB

Which is 164 Hrs MPEG-4, and 100 Hrs Mpeg-2
WOW

Do yourself a favor and use matched pairs of drives.
Other combos will work, but may give you some nasty surprises later.

Also keep in mind that if you stripe across two disks, you are halving your mean time to failure- meaning you're twice likely to experience a disk failure, and a failure of either means you lose all the data on your array.

#140 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:40 PM

earl,

Is this the long term solution that DirecTV will use for eSATA, or is it possible they will implement something different later? By different I mean, for example, using both the internal and external together to add more space. Or will they sell a unit with no internal HD? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to disable the internal drive, but I'm sure they did it this way because it was a quick and easy solution.

They will never sell a unit without a hard drive inside of it.

This is the solution for the immediate future. Long Long term... They do have some other plans, but for the practicle period of time... this is the eSATA feature.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...