Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - Has been enabled, but....

• Please log in to reply
2830 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:39 PM

I am unclear what you mean by "100gb for DirecTV" vs "user space".

This is refering to content that D* pushes to the HR20, not space used for recordings that you specifically set up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

This is refering to content that D* pushes to the HR20, not space used for recordings that you specifically set up.

correct me if i'm off base here, but this seems to be the most retarded idea yet from d*.

shouldnt that stuff occupy unused space, and get purged first when space is needed for recordings we want?

who's freakin dvr is it, anyway? between the 30-second commercial preview, and the "Space You Can't Use" feature, it really seems like D*'s decided to show us paying customers who's the boss.

#163 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Would that be what Tivo calls "Tivo Suggestions"?

If so that would not matter to me because In almost 6 years I have never recorded a Tivo Suggestion. I specify all recordings manually or with a Season Pass.

#164 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

I am used to having 105 hrs of TIVO time and would be unhappy with less.

With the stock drive in the HR20... you get 200 hours of SD material, 50 of MPEG4, and 30 of MPEG2

So to get 105 hours of MPEG-4, you would need at least a 750gb external hard drive (or really a combiantion of TWO 300gb in an external case RAID style)... or over 1,000GB (1TB) to get over 100hours of MPEG2 HD...

Same is pretty much true for the Tivo Series 3...
Can the T3 be upgraded yet?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#165 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

correct me if i'm off base here, but this seems to be the most retarded idea yet from d*.

shouldnt that stuff occupy unused space, and get purged first when space is needed for recordings we want?

who's freakin dvr is it, anyway? between the 30-second commercial preview, and the "Space You Can't Use" feature, it really seems like D*'s decided to show us paying customers who's the boss.

I'm unclear on exactly how it works, but apparently the R15 does the same thing.

#166 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

Would that be what Tivo calls "Tivo Suggestions"?

Closer to TiVo Showcases, then Suggestions.
As Showcases is what TIVO/DirecTV choose to highlight on your NowPlaying, where Suggestions is based on your viewing habits.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#167 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

who's freakin dvr is it, anyway?

Do we need to start the LEASED aspect of the DVR's again...

But regardless.. you are still get the space that is quoted by the unit.
The drive is a 300gb drive, which will provide the stated hours for the unit.

This is the exact same as the R15
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#168 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

Dish made on ViP622 reserved 100GB for VOD from 320 GB total and no way to use it.

#169 OFFLINE   lguvenoz

lguvenoz

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

I am contemplating this route to try and improve the reliability of my HR20. Has anyone noticed any performance/reliability improvements with using an eSata device?? I would hope that we might see better results with a higher quality drive.

#170 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

I am contemplating this route to try and improve the reliability of my HR20. Has anyone noticed any performance/reliability improvements with using an eSata device?? I would hope that we might see better results with a higher quality drive.

Might be less prone to crashes IF those crashes were caused by excessive heat from the internal HD (although I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that units are overheating and crashing). Has anyone taken any temp readings on their HR20 when an external drive is connected?

#171 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

With the stock drive in the HR20... you get 200 hours of SD material, 50 of MPEG4, and 30 of MPEG2

So to get 105 hours of MPEG-4, you would need at least a 750gb external hard drive (or really a combiantion of TWO 300gb in an external case RAID style)... or over 1,000GB (1TB) to get over 100hours of MPEG2 HD...

Same is pretty much true for the Tivo Series 3...
Can the T3 be upgraded yet?

Sounds like I am going to be shopping for some big drives either way!

Now if I could just find the 30_sec_skip.com online store I would be set:)

Seriously the 30 sec skip is a big deal to me (and the wife). But then I hate cable.

HR20 having the ESATA option (which the S3 doesn't have yet) is a bigger deal to me than the 30 sec skip but why can't I have both and keep Directv? I know, its a rhetorical question but it accurately reflects my thinking on this subject.

Its as important as the HD display selection process which I am also working on at the same time.

#172 OFFLINE   lguvenoz

lguvenoz

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

Might be less prone to crashes IF those crashes were caused by excessive heat from the internal HD (although I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that units are overheating and crashing). Has anyone taken any temp readings on their HR20 when an external drive is connected?

My thoughts are more around the reliability of the drive itself. Seagate drives have, in my experience, been a little flaky with SATA implementations. In particular the DB35 series that these units use has not always been SATA, and I'm curious if it might be a less than optimal solution.

Add in the fact that Seagate has "optimized" these drives for DVR use and I am wondering if a lot of the anomalies with playback might simply be hard drive glitches. Either dropped bits or stream "hiccups"

I'm looking at assembling my own external unit using Hitachi Deskstar drives as they consistently seem to deliver very high performance and great reliability. Just wondering if anyone who has gone the eSATA route has seen any appreciable differences in these areas.

#173 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

I have the external connect since yesterday, I now have 6 MPEG-4 recordings and everything seems fine.
Just did a read of Internal temp from the "info & Test" screen and it says 122F
When I was just running the internal drive my temp used to read 124F
Not much of a difference

FYI My External drive is a Maxtor 500GB Quickview Drive
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

#174 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:20 PM

No different then Tivo and it's "reserved" space for showcases. Exact same thing.

#175 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

I'm looking at assembling my own external unit using Hitachi Deskstar drives as they consistently seem to deliver very high performance and great reliability. Just wondering if anyone who has gone the eSATA route has seen any appreciable differences in these areas.

lol Deathstar, good luck. I'd stick with Seagates.

#176 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:51 PM

lol Deathstar, good luck. I'd stick with Seagates.

Weren't the IBM drives deathstars?

#177 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

Weren't the IBM drives deathstars?

Yeah, IBM sold the whole biz to Hitachi.

#178 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, IBM sold the whole biz to Hitachi.

I wouldn't touch them with a 1000 foot SATA cable!

I've dealt with Deathstars at many previous jobs, and I'll never put any trust in any drive with that model name! :D

#179 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:51 AM

Just tried to turn on morning news and HR20 is frozen with black screen, dont know if its eSATA related but I'm rebooting now....

Reboot done, all seems ok, last nights recordings there. Must of just been HR20 related and not eSATA related
Of course now my Guide is gone and needs to repopulate :(
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

#180 OFFLINE   TMullenJr

TMullenJr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:05 AM

Also keep in mind that if you stripe across two disks, you are halving your mean time to failure- meaning you're twice likely to experience a disk failure, and a failure of either means you lose all the data on your array.

I thought the whole point of RAID was that data was mirrrored, so in case of a drive failure you don't lose your data.

And if the data is mirrored, and you had two 500GB drives, I would think you would still only have 500GB, not 1TB???

spam firewall