Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Channels You Receive Update?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hmss007

hmss007

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:38 PM

Hey all,

I haven't seen this mentioned all that much, but does anyone (Earl?) know when the 'Channels You Receive' will be enabled?

I'm running into problems with Autorecorded shows because of this. If a show is meeting the search criteria it will try to record the show, even if I don't have it. My most recent example is a keyword Autorecord for 'Barenaked Ladies'. They are playing on Conan Friday night and the HR20 was going to record the national NBC feed (which I don't get) instead of my local NBC HD station.

Thanks,
E

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:40 PM

There is no set date, and it is not due to the software/hardware in the HR20/R15

There are some other pieces of the bigger picture that have to be updated, before they can renable it.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   jgrade

jgrade

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

Man I am glad I read this thread. This has been bugging me for ever! You follow the directions and it doesn't work. Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:27 PM

i'm with you guys... i would be really interested to see directv's priority list on this unit. there are some really core features/function that either don't work at all or work very poorly.

to this date, no one has been able to explain to me what the difference between keep until i delete and keep until disk full. they both do the same thing, except one has a K next to it in the VOD list.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

to this date, no one has been able to explain to me what the difference between keep until i delete and keep until disk full. they both do the same thing, except one has a K next to it in the VOD list.

Keep Until I Delete - Will keep the recording until you execute one of the DELETE commands on it

Keep Until Disk Is Full - Will keep the recording until your hard drive is full. It will then clear out oldest recordings, to make room for new recordings.

Probably why you haven't seen any difference, is that you are hard drive hasn't gotten to a point where it is less then 10% free. At that point you start to see ! triangles next to recordings to signify those that are about to be deleted.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,710 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

There is no set date, and it is not due to the software/hardware in the HR20/R15

There are some other pieces of the bigger picture that have to be updated, before they can renable it.

Can you expand on the "bigger picture" pieces? It works fine on the HR10-250 and Tivo-based DVRs, why not the new ones?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

Can you expand on the "bigger picture" pieces? It works fine on the HR10-250 and Tivo-based DVRs, why not the new ones?

From what I've gathered, this option is supposed to be automated, not just a simple list that you have to manually go through.

Why they couldn't just let us use it manually until they got it working automatically, I have no clue.

#8 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

I do know what the last piece is... but... yah know... mum is the word.

Damn it Earl! That's all we really care about, and you're just sitting here trying to hit 6k!!!!!!

:D

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

Damn it Earl! That's all we really care about, and you're just sitting here trying to hit 6k!!!!!!

:D

What me?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

It works fine on the HR10-250 and Tivo-based DVRs, why not the new ones?

It didn't work on my HR10(s). It did work when I was an E* subscriber, however. Since I've switched to D*, every receiver I've had has made me manually edit the channels I receive; they wouldn't just auto-detect them like my E* receiver did (based on my programming package).

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

#11 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

its "Channels I Receive", not "Channels I Can Watch" :nono2:

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

The problem, as I see it, with not letting you do your own receive list is that searches and the equivalent of wishlists would use those channels, right? (the logic is the same as Tivo for what will be found, right?).

If you can restrict searches and auto-records to favorites, that would work but gives one less list type than tivo.

How about using the old D* model and have multiple lists that you can name and restrict searches, etc., to a chosen list per search. Now that would be cool.

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

I moved the KUID discussion here.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=66374
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

its "Channels I Receive", not "Channels I Can Watch" :nono2:

Then with that definition it is working correctly...
As you can "RECEIVE" every channel that is in the data streams that your dish can see.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#15 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

Then with that definition it is working correctly...
As you can "RECEIVE" every channel that is in the data streams that your dish can see.

yes, that was my (bad) joke :D

#16 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

So it's just a terminology issue! We just aren't looking closely enough at these "bugs" as they may all be doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing!! LOL

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

#17 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

So it's just a terminology issue! We just aren't looking closely enough at these "bugs" as they may all be doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing!! LOL

That explains it. The "PLUS" in "DIRECTV HD DVR PLUS" must stand for "Probably Loses Ur Stuff"

#18 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

That explains it. The "PLUS" in "DIRECTV HD DVR PLUS" must stand for "Probably Loses Ur Stuff"

Now THAT is comedy! :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...