Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 records local HD in SD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebasham

ebasham

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:18 AM

Greetings, this is along the lines of a similar post I had before, but am still having the problem. Watched and recorded Lost two nights ago. While watching live, it was in HD - when I watched the recorded version it was in SD stretched. I noticed that when I channel surf up to another local (in this case in Austin channel 36 NBC which is not HD at all) and then surf down back again to ABC, Lost was in SD. But when I manually punched in channel 24 in the remote, Lost came up as HD. Does this have something to do with not having Native mode on? I have noticed this with all of my locals that to get HD, I need to manually punch in the channel numbers - just surfing brings up SD. Thanks for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

Greetings, this is along the lines of a similar post I had before, but am still having the problem. Watched and recorded Lost two nights ago. While watching live, it was in HD - when I watched the recorded version it was in SD stretched. I noticed that when I channel surf up to another local (in this case in Austin channel 36 NBC which is not HD at all) and then surf down back again to ABC, Lost was in SD. But when I manually punched in channel 24 in the remote, Lost came up as HD. Does this have something to do with not having Native mode on? I have noticed this with all of my locals that to get HD, I need to manually punch in the channel numbers - just surfing brings up SD. Thanks for your help.

You have to make sure that when you originally set it to record, you picked the right HD station. Depending where you are; the MPEG4 stations can be listed first or second on the guide or after you perform your search.

#3 OFFLINE   John Long

John Long

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

Hi,

Unless you set up favorites to eliminate the SD local channel, there is 2 channels associated with your locals, a SD one and a HD one. When you set up your SL recordings, you must make sure that you chosen the HD local to record from. In Chicago area, I can tell which channel is the SD one vs. the HD one by looking at the channel designator in the channel guide. If the channel only displays the channel #, then it is SD. If it displays the stations call letters as well (WBBM) it is HD. IN chicago the first number in the duplicate set is the HD one. I don't know if this applies across all localities.

John

#4 OFFLINE   ebasham

ebasham

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:34 AM

I'm not seeing duplicates in channel guide. I have noticed that on Fox, and fox only - if I manually punch in channel 7, it will come in HD - if I then channel surf up, it moves to channel 7 in SD. That is the only local that does that though.

#5 OFFLINE   kvitense

kvitense

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:38 AM

I'm not seeing duplicates in channel guide. I have noticed that on Fox, and fox only - if I manually punch in channel 7, it will come in HD - if I then channel surf up, it moves to channel 7 in SD. That is the only local that does that though.

I had some issues with my local channels being listed in the guide when I first activated on Monday night. You can try to reset to see if that helps. If not, call DTV and have them "do their thing". For me, I think they actually turned off my service, then turned it back on after a minute or so and that fixed the problem.

Kurt

Protected By... spam firewall...And...