Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

IR sensor problem HR20 700 and no Dolby Digital

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zoey

zoey

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

Equipment: Sharp AQUOs LC45GD7U HDTV, DENON AVR, Logitech Harmony 880 universal remote and as of last Friday, Sept. 29, HR20 700 which was upgrade from H20 600 I had been using since March 2006. Upgrade installed by Ironwood Comm. tech.

HR20 700 is connected directly to Sharp tv via HDMI and for audio (I know it is redundant) via digital audio optical out to DENON AVR 4806. (This is the exact way H20 600 had been hooked up by Ironwood tech.)

System info displays the remote as IR enabled and that Dolby Digital is on, it also cites software as "original version Oxac, Past Upgrade: Oxd8 Wed. 10/04/06."
However- I get no Dolby Digital whatsoever where I always did before on the H20 600 and worse than that neither remote ( Directv RC24 or Harmony 880) work unless held right up to the receiver sensor (no farther than 2" away). I do not use the RF setting as my Harmony 880 requires IF. Needless to say the batteries are excellent, there are no obstacles between my viewing position and the receiver which sits 7' away in the open, and I never had this problem with the H20 600. Dtv tech support is clueless and state they are sending me a replacement HR20 but since all else works I would like to resolve the issues with this one. Please help, I am a newbie with all of this. Thanks

Mod Edit I changed the IF in your title and description to IR, to avoid confusion

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

1) Disconnect your HDMI, and try a connection via component to the TV
2) Double check and make sure your Denon didn't change it's audio input mode.. (some others had the same problem, only to find out their Amp did in fact change and was looking else where)
3) Check the optical cable, if you have another... try that.
4) Turn of Dolby Digital, and do you get audio at all when you turn it off.

As for the IR.

Turn off the TV for a minute (provide you are getting sound), and see if you are getting remote control. It is possible The TV might be generating some time of IR interfearence.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Rob55

Rob55

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

My 32" Toshiba LCD generates a fair amount or IR noise. It's possible the H20 wasn't as susceptible to the IR noise as much as the HR-20 seems to be.

#4 OFFLINE   zoey

zoey

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

Thank you, your suggestions worked. I disconnected the HDMI, hooked up components instead; the optical cable appears to be working and yes, the DENON had changed the input mode so I corrected that and all is well with Dolby Digital.

Right again on the interference from the Sharp TV, turned off tv and remotes worked well from any area in room, with the tv back on they don't work unless "nose to nose " with the receiver. Now please don't laugh too hard (I am a new to all of this)but how do I eliminate the interference from the tv- move the HR20 farther away? At present it is on an open shelf 18" to left of tv. Thanks again

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

Now please don't laugh too hard (I am a new to all of this)but how do I eliminate the interference from the tv- move the HR20 farther away? At present it is on an open shelf 18" to left of tv. Thanks again

Nothing to laugh about there... that one I don't really have an answer for... except moving the unit on an angle some more... I have my units inside a cabinet, that are pretty blocked from the TV display.

Send a PM to Edmund... he is our resident remote expert, he might have some ideas for you...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   zoey

zoey

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

Nothing to laugh about there... that one I don't really have an answer for... except moving the unit on an angle some more... I have my units inside a cabinet, that are pretty blocked from the TV display.

Send a PM to Edmund... he is our resident remote expert, he might have some ideas for you...

I stopped the interference entirely by simply turning off the "OPC" setting within the Sharp tv "Picture Adjustment Setting". (When "on" the OPC senses surrounding light and automatically adjusts backlight brightness). This sensor was the cause of the interference, never had to move my HR20 700 or my tv. Thank you for all your help!

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

Ahh... good deal..
Glad we could help.

Oh and....

:welcome_s to DBSTalk
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#8 OFFLINE   Rob55

Rob55

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

I stopped the interference entirely by simply turning off the "OPC" setting within the Sharp tv "Picture Adjustment Setting".

That's good to know. I'll have to check my Toshiba tonight and see if it has a similar setting,

#9 OFFLINE   danjurgens

danjurgens

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:52 AM

I have a 32 inch aquos and have horrible IR problems with the HR20. I don't have OPC turned on. I actually had my box replaced because I thought the IR sensor was faulty, then I ran into someone else on a different forum with a sharp lcd and similar problems. I just use RF now, problem solved for me, but maybe they need a better IR sensor in these boxes, none of my other equipment has any problems.

#10 OFFLINE   ExUltimateTV

ExUltimateTV

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

I had the same problem with a Sharp LCD. I tried the IR filters made by Xantech, and they helped, but didn't solve the problem. What worked best, no kidding, were a couple layers of the ubiquitous blue masking tape over the IR sensor. I see now that Xantech makes "Plasma-friendly" IR receivers, but I have no experience with them.

My equipment is in a cabinet, so I switched to RF (Home Theater Master MSF-300) and that cured everything, including starting a macro and putting the remote down before the macro finishes!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...