Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Partial Recording?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gusjohnson

gusjohnson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:55 AM

What's going on when the program you set to record doesn't appear in the list and history says "partial"?

I just got back from a trip, the system appears to be fine, nobody touched it while I was away - but sadly my program (the Office) does not appear.

What's remarkable about this is that my HR20 seems to know which shows I really care about and which I don't - because it records all the unimportant stuff pretty reliably but fails every time it matters. My old DVR(s) couldn't tell the difference - and basically worked every time. In fact, that's one of the things I liked about them - they were so darn reliable compared to VCRs.

This is just getting ridiculous.

But seriously ... I'm curious if anybody has any clues as to what might have happened?
HR20-700S (1), HR21-700 (2), HR24-500 (1), MRV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,908 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:52 AM

What's going on when the program you set to record doesn't appear in the list and history says "partial"?

I just got back from a trip, the system appears to be fine, nobody touched it while I was away - but sadly my program (the Office) does not appear.

What's remarkable about this is that my HR20 seems to know which shows I really care about and which I don't - because it records all the unimportant stuff pretty reliably but fails every time it matters. My old DVR(s) couldn't tell the difference - and basically worked every time. In fact, that's one of the things I liked about them - they were so darn reliable compared to VCRs.

This is just getting ridiculous.

But seriously ... I'm curious if anybody has any clues as to what might have happened?

I got this one time when trying to record the "demo dish install" channel. I wrote it off to "irregular" operation of that channel. I have never seen it since.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   MarkGreiner

MarkGreiner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:32 AM

I also lost my recording of The Office this last Thursday. I had it start one minute early because my R15 had been cutting off the first part of the show. This week, I got that first minute and that was all. Coincidence or conspiracy?

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:39 AM

Usually a "partial" recording means that you either lost power or lost signal do to storms. The Tivo's for example if they lose power and reboot you'll get two partial recordings, one from before the outage and one after. I don't know if the HR20 picks up after a power failure or not.

Basically a decent UPS is your friend and you won't have power outage problems. :)

#5 OFFLINE   gusjohnson

gusjohnson

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

Usually a "partial" recording means that you either lost power or lost signal do to storms. The Tivo's for example if they lose power and reboot you'll get two partial recordings, one from before the outage and one after. I don't know if the HR20 picks up after a power failure or not.

Basically a decent UPS is your friend and you won't have power outage problems. :)

Thanks... a good thought but not likely the culprit as my ReplayTV is on the same circuit and had no trouble recording Survivor off D* at the same time.
HR20-700S (1), HR21-700 (2), HR24-500 (1), MRV

#6 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:40 AM

I have seen partial recordings a couple of times during the week I have had the HR20. It is almost certainly a software glitch, not weather related. I live in an area where there are no storms.

The only pattern I have noticed is that I get partial recordings when I attempt to extend the scheduled event. In both incidents, I did not get the end of two scheduled football games. The guide showed them as 3 hour events, I extended the shows ending by +1 1/2 hours but the recordings both ended at about 3 hours and 40 minutes. These happened on different days on different channels.

I am guessing there is a bug in the extender software because manual recording does not work consistently either.

#7 OFFLINE   Frodtab

Frodtab

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:44 AM

I have seen partial recordings a couple of times during the week I have had the HR20. It is almost certainly a software glitch, not weather related. I live in an area where there are no storms.

The only pattern I have noticed is that I get partial recordings when I attempt to extend the scheduled event. In both incidents, I did not get the end of two scheduled football games. The guide showed them as 3 hour events, I extended the shows ending by +1 1/2 hours but the recordings both ended at about 3 hours and 40 minutes. These happened on different days on different channels.

I am guessing there is a bug in the extender software because manual recording does not work consistently either.

I've had the same issues with padded recordings. A 3 hour recording padded and extra hour ends at 3:18. The suggestion I received was to record the program after the game on the D* guide, instead of padding the recording. This has worked fine so far for me.

I've also found issues with manual recordings and sports subscriptions as this post notes:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=66538

Protected By... spam firewall...And...