Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installation finally happened, no bad overall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:33 AM

I've had my HR20 for about 3 weeks now running but off my old Phase III dish and with just 1 tuner. Installation of the new 5 LNB dish and switch was due yesterday between 10 and noon. Year right. :sure: Guy showed up at 4:45.

BUT I will say I am impressed with the customer service of the company. They called at 11:30 saying the guy was way behind and would be there between 3:30 and 4. Ok I say, luckily I'm not all that into baseball or college football. About quarter to 4 I get another call (here we go, cancel on me I know). But they say the guy is just finishing up and should be there within the hour. Ok, not too bad. about 4 the guy calls me to get directions. Great, he's on the north side of town, at least 15 miles away. But he shows up at 4:45.

Very professional and I helped him get everything setup. While he put up the new dish I installed the multiswitch and the couple extra inside cables I needed. All in all it still took about 2 hours and he didn't have to get on a roof or run any lines or anything. I can understand how they get so backed up only allowing 2 hours an install it seems.

Note for those with pole mounts: My dish is on a metal fence post in my backyard. Real easy to get to. BUT the new AT9 dish mount requires a 2 inch width pole. Mine was only 1 1/2 inches. So the mount just slipped down. Normally he said he'd have to install a new pole but I got a wood splint and tied it to the top to make it wide enough for the mount to be put on nice and tight. No way I was waiting another month to install a stupid pole!

Had a bit of an issue tweaking 101 but got it up to about 80 which is fine by me. I can tweak it more later if I want. And he made me a bunch of small 3 foot cables to go from my grounding blocks to the switch. He got a tip. :)

All in all a good install despite being 5 hours later in the day.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

... Note for those with pole mounts: My dish is on a metal fence post in my backyard. Real easy to get to. BUT the new AT9 dish mount requires a 2 inch width pole. Mine was only 1 1/2 inches. So the mount just slipped down. Normally he said he'd have to install a new pole but I got a wood splint and tied it to the top to make it wide enough for the mount to be put on nice and tight. No way I was waiting another month to install a stupid pole!

I would be concerned about using a "wood splint" as a long term fix.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

I'm not too worried unless we get 70 mph winds or something. If it does become an issue I'll put up a new pole. No way I was going to let him go without installing it.

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:09 AM

I'm not too worried unless we get 70 mph winds or something. If it does become an issue I'll put up a new pole. No way I was going to let him go without installing it.

Unless the wood is treated, it will weather and rot, changing the position off of plumb (it's unlikely to weather uniformly). Further, the wood will "compress" over time and with pressure from the wind and that will allow it the dish to slip.

It's ok for a very temporary arrangement, but you should either get an adapter tube made (that will slip over the fence post), and cross pin it with bolts (right angle to each other a few inches apart along the adapter tube), or get some metal shims that are made for what you are trying to do.

The preferred (and much more reliable) method is the adapter.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

5 hours late, you did some of the work and he got a tip ?

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

5 hours late, you did some of the work and he got a tip ?

Well I've had DirecTV for 10 years and I've always installed all my own stuff. Now they don't let you. So everything was already "installed" for the past few years and he just needed to put up the new dish and switch into my current setup. I helped by putting in the switch and doing the cabling while he did the dish. I wanted to get him out of there as quickly as possible.

I gave him a tip because he was a great guy, not in a hurry, wanted to do a good job and do it right, and had no problems making me a bunch of small cables I needed. Plus he worked with my on my pole issue, normally I think he would have refused to install and come back another day to put in a new pole. Many, many installers late on a Saturday afternoon in Michigan during the Tigers and Michigan/Michigan State game would be doing anything and everything to get out of there as fast as possible and many won't give you a cable if their life depended on it.

Thus I gave him $10 to go get a couple beers. No sweat.

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

Unless the wood is treated, it will weather and rot, changing the position off of plumb (it's unlikely to weather uniformly). Further, the wood will "compress" over time and with pressure from the wind and that will allow it the dish to slip.

It's ok for a very temporary arrangement, but you should either get an adapter tube made (that will slip over the fence post), and cross pin it with bolts (right angle to each other a few inches apart along the adapter tube), or get some metal shims that are made for what you are trying to do.

The preferred (and much more reliable) method is the adapter.

Very true. My plan is to stop by Home Depot and get a big metal "clamp" of some sort to put under the dish mount for now. If the wood becomes an issue it's easy enough for me to take the dish off and re-do what I need to and install it back up. I've always done my own stuff so it'll be easy enough to do.

spam firewall