Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OK admit it.......

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hadji

hadji

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

I have read some other threads where this was mentioned, so I thought I would come clean. I hope this empowers you to admit you have a problem as well.

I prepped for and assisted in(or should I say did most of) the setup of my HR20.

I guess some would call it being anal, but being a D* customer from the beginning and having to buy and install our own equipment for the longest time, I just don't trust the tech, no matter how knowledgeable they seem to be and how polite they are. I would liken it to the old stereotype of not wanting to ask for directions if you're lost. I guess with me it's a reality :D I already had the 5 lnb dish up from a previous install, so basically the only thing the installer did was run the second line to my HR20(which included the outside run only because I took care of the line inside). I already had the old receiver disconnected and hole drilled. I had the unit powered on and 90% setup while the driver was on the phone with his supervisor. He took over at the end and did do a quick onceover regarding the remote(which I felt obliged to listen to even though I have spent the last two weeks reading the manual I downloaded from D*) His total time with actual install was less time then he spent on the phone with his supervisor and Directv to activate the programming.

Hi my name is hadji and I am an installaholic.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   indy300

indy300

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:10 AM

I have read some other threads where this was mentioned, so I thought I would come clean. I hope this empowers you to admit you have a problem as well.

I prepped for and assisted in(or should I say did most of) the setup of my HR20.

I guess some would call it being anal, but being a D* customer from the beginning and having to buy and install our own equipment for the longest time, I just don't trust the tech, no matter how knowledgeable they seem to be and how polite they are. I would liken it to the old stereotype of not wanting to ask for directions if you're lost. I guess with me it's a reality :D I already had the 5 lnb dish up from a previous install, so basically the only thing the installer did was run the second line to my HR20(which included the outside run only because I took care of the line inside). I already had the old receiver disconnected and hole drilled. I had the unit powered on and 90% setup while the driver was on the phone with his supervisor. He took over at the end and did do a quick onceover regarding the remote(which I felt obliged to listen to even though I have spent the last two weeks reading the manual I downloaded from D*) His total time with actual install was less time then he spent on the phone with his supervisor and Directv to activate the programming.

Hi my name is hadji and I am an installaholic.

:lol: :lol:

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

My name is Earl (Thursday on NBC)

And I am most definently an installaholic.

And it isn't so much about trusting the tech, it partically because I have the time leading up to the installation, to do a lot of the work (Cable runs, face plates).. And simply saves time for both of us at the time of installation.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Lowry666

Lowry666

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:44 PM

My name is Lowry and I admit it too! I even bought an Accutrac III meter to do mine. It's always nice to have an excuse to buy a new tool. I also bought the compression tool and a bunch of Digicon fittings. My dad would be proud!

Lowry

#5 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

Another one here. I end up paying MORE to do it myself, but I just love this stuff. I WANT the experience of hooking up the gear, aligning the dish, etc. Plus I get to run the cables how I want, and install nice faceplates, etc. I'll be tacking an AT9 dish in the next few weeks, and even if it takes me a week to get it set up, I won't care -- I'm in it for the fun. I bought a signal meter too -- might as well have one around!

#6 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:40 PM

And it isn't so much about trusting the tech, it partically because I have the time leading up to the installation, to do a lot of the work (Cable runs, face plates).. And simply saves time for both of us at the time of installation.

I quizzed my installer on Saturday to see if he knew what he was talking about. :)

He did. He knew more than I about installing, since I only know about the units from what I read here. I was impressed. He did a lot to help me, went over and above the call of duty to make sure I had a good signal, and did it all in about 2 and 1/2 hours--one guy, working alone. I gave him DBSTalk.com's URL so he could share his experiences here. :D
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#7 OFFLINE   ouijal

ouijal

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

The first installer who came actually handed the phone to me numerous times after saying "just talk to the customer he knows more about it than I do".

#8 OFFLINE   hadji

hadji

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

The first installer who came actually handed the phone to me numerous times after saying "just talk to the customer he knows more about it than I do".

LMAO :hurah:

#9 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

My installer handled it all. He knew about the software update upon first boot, was familar with it all. He found that a previous installer had left barrels in my line (connectors) that had signs of corrosion and replaced the lines from dish to multiswitch (including the switch, of course since new 5lnb dish).

I was very impressed with him.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#10 OFFLINE   gusjohnson

gusjohnson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

This question isn't exactly on topic but this thread looks like the right audience...

Ok... so I'm still struggling with my HR20 but I've got to admit, the HD picture is just spectacular. So, I'm thinking about adding another system for the bedroom. Not interested in another DVR - as they are just too loud, so my thought is to get the D* HD receiver. What are people's experiences with that?

Does the HD receiver handle the D*, local mpeg4 channels or do I need an OTA antenna? Now that I've got the 5 LMB dish and an HR20 in the living room, can I just replace my old D* receiver in the bedroom with the HD Receiver and hook it up myself, without pulling any additional cable? Anything else I should know?

Given that I'm already a D*, HD customer, It looks like the receiver is $99.00. Is that about right or is there a way I can get a better deal?

Thanks in advance!
HR20-700S (1), HR21-700 (2), HR24-500 (1), MRV

#11 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

My installer knew who I was when he received the order, so on install day he just called to confirm, met me at curb and handed the HR20 to me, I signed for it then he drove off! I was up and running in 15 min! :D

#12 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

My installer knew who I was when he received the order, so on install day he just called to confirm, met me at curb and handed the HR20 to me, I signed for it then he drove off! I was up and running in 15 min! :D

wish i knew those in my area that way when the techs come for my upgrades or any of my friends they barely spend more than 20-40 mins and they are gone smiling always
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

If the DVR works as advertised, why should I care what day it's on? :D ;)

#14 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

I have never had any installer install a dish.

With Dish Network I always did a self install. I did have them hook up a SW64 multiswitch once.

When I first ordered DirecTV I picked up all my equipment at Circuit City and installed it myself. I then called and canceled the installation.

I have had three HD upgrades with DirecTV.

The first one they shipped me a Samsung 360 which I set up and had running before the installers came. I let them install the multiswitch.

The second upgrade to a HR10-250, the installer brought the box and I told him I would do the hookup. He just looked and verified that I had the two RG6 lines run, handed me the box and said have a nice day.

Last week when Ironwood was out of stock and canceled my appointment, I picked up my HR20 at Circuit City. I hooked it up and activated it on my 3 LNB dish, but I will let Ironwood install the 5LNB. I actually would have tried the install myself but Circuit City did not offer to give me the dish and told me it had to be installed through DirecTV.

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,813 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Does the HD receiver handle the D*, local mpeg4 channels or do I need an OTA antenna? Now that I've got the 5 LMB dish and an HR20 in the living room, can I just replace my old D* receiver in the bedroom with the HD Receiver and hook it up myself, without pulling any additional cable? Anything else I should know?

You should be able to do just exactly that. I believe the HD receiver is the H20, so check the various threads for comments on that unit.

Carl

#16 OFFLINE   Deftones

Deftones

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:58 PM

I am one too. I was pissed at my installer. He wanted to hook up everything himself. He even talked down to me when doing it.

I laughed when I went into my bedroom and he had my HDTivo hooked up through component when I had specifically pulled out the HDMI cable and put it right where the box was going.

#17 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:05 AM

The only time I've even met an installer is when he dropped off (at my insistence) my free R15. This is since 1996 with several moves (the most recent of which was last week when the fence the dish was mounted to needed to come down).
"You should just watch the shows when they are on instead of recording them" -- anonymous DirecTV CSR
"It's like a PC... sometimes you have to reformat the hard drive." -- ibid

#18 OFFLINE   Kash76

Kash76

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

My HR20 was installed on Friday. While he had fun with the dish I setup everything else, new WB68, wire runs and swapping of boxes. He appreciated the help and I got to learn about the new dish.

#19 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:32 AM

Guilty as charged... My installer didn't seem to mind the helping hand... and the cold beer.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#20 OFFLINE   Kash76

Kash76

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:35 AM

now that's a FUN installer.

spam firewall