Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Lockups Linked to System Selector

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AllAroundPsycho

AllAroundPsycho

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:49 AM

Hi, all. I hope that this info helps someone out.

My HR20 had been locking up at least once every 24 hours since the day I got it. It seemed hardware related, and it appears that it was, only the HR20 was not the piece of hardware causing the problem.

I have an 8-input, component/optical system selector that allows me to switch between the HR20, the Xbox, the PS2, the DVD player, etc. In addition, I was running my Xbox 360 directly into the TV and the receiver. In an effort to eliminate a few variables, I changed it so that the HR20 ran directly into the TV and receiver and the Xbox 360 ran through the selector unit.

That was last Thursday. My HR20 has not locked up once since, as opposed to a lockup every 18 - 24 hours. My Xbox 360, on the other hand, now occasionally starts up with an error code that, according to Microsoft documentation, translates to a problem with the AV cable. The AV cables that worked flawlessly for the past 10 months until I plugged them into the system selector.

Not sure if anyone else has a similar setup, but if you are still seeing some daily lockups, you might want to remove equipment from the mix each day and see if that helps you at all.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

I have a system selector by Pelican, and have had 0 troubles (knock wood). The remote for it is spotty (I can change from input A to B, but not to C, and not B to A, etc). What model are you using?

#3 OFFLINE   AllAroundPsycho

AllAroundPsycho

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:59 AM

I have a system selector by Pelican, and have had 0 troubles (knock wood). The remote for it is spotty (I can change from input A to B, but not to C, and not B to A, etc). What model are you using?

I'm using the Pelican one as well, but I got the previous model that didn't have the remote. Same number of inputs, but no remote. Mine seems to be causing some problems. It could just be input A, but I really don't feel like doing further experimenting right now. If it continues to be a problem with my 360, I'll run that right into the 2nd (and last) HD input on my TV and just deal with the PS2 in non-HD. The only real loss there would be the optical audio, as the PS2 never really did anything with it's HD capabilities.

#4 OFFLINE   ouijal

ouijal

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

I have heard some dubious things about the pelican system selector. Almost everyone I know reports something funny happening with them.

#5 OFFLINE   bbroach

bbroach

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

I have the Pelican w/remote & have been very satisfied with its performance. I use the component out from all my sources, selected via the Pelican, then through a component /VGA transcoder into the VGA input of my Hitachi 42HDT55. I chose this setup before getting the AV selector because it provided the lowest noise floor, best detail, and fewest artifacts of any signal path through the Hitachi. I am impressed that the Pelican causes no degradation of my pq, even on the best, most 3d OTA broadcasts. I also have experienced none of the lockup issues reported by other HR20 users. I wonder if you can really blame this on the Pelican box, or if the real problem was something else that went away when the cables were unplugged & reinserted - an incomplete connector insertion, for example.

regards, billb....
| HR10 | 2XHR20 | 42HDT55 | 1TB eSATA RAID 1 | Other Stuff |

#6 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, I'm not real excited about mine either, but it was cheap(er) or on sale (i don't remember), and I had all kinds of gift cards/coupons, so I paid almost nothing for it. In hindsight, I would have gotten a different one.

#7 OFFLINE   AllAroundPsycho

AllAroundPsycho

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

I wonder if you can really blame this on the Pelican box, or if the real problem was something else that went away when the cables were unplugged & reinserted - an incomplete connector insertion, for example.

I would be hesitant to blame it on the Pelican if it wasn't for the fact that as soon as I hooked up the Xbox 360 to the Pelican, it immediately complained that there was an issue with the AV cable. Rebooting the 360 made the problem go away, but then it came back. Disconnecting the cables to the 360 and reconnecting them didn't help as it still complains about the AV cable issue every few boots. I can only make the problem go away 100% with the Pelican out of the loop.

Up until this point I was extremely pleased with the Pelican. 8 component inputs, 3 optical audio inputs, all for under $100. You can't find this setup from any other manufacturer. The closest thing I could find was a JVC one that costs $700 and only has 2 optical audio inputs. However, there's clearly something wrong with mine and some further research on the internets has shown quite a few people having problems with it. I just don't want to take a chance that this $80 selector is going to take down the thousands of dollars in equipment that it's hooked up to.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...