Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Twenty Five More Local HD Markets Named

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
124 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

It sure would be nice to have them announce the Grand Rapids DMA AND ABC as one of the locals going HD this week. Then we'd get the UM vs. OSU game in HD!

FYI that channel 41 is very easy to pick up with an antenna, even $5 rabbit ears might do it if you're within 30 miles.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   crockett

crockett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

OTA isn't enabled on the HR-20! Also, I pretty sure I'm further than 30 miles away. I'm in Grand Junction. Aren't the towers near Gun Lake?

#103 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Yes, towers are in Gun Lake. Does your HDTV have a build in OTA HD tuner? Most do and if your's does you don't need the HR20 to get OTA. I personally use a really old E-86 DirecTV recevier for HD OTA.

I only mention rabbit ears because it's cheap to give it a try and see. I live 35 miles from the towers and can get 8 and 41 with rabbit ears analog (not digital though, too many hills and trees in the way). Return if they don't work. You could even get a smaller indoor "full sized" antenna and give it a test run. Again, take it back if it doesn't work. For me, my house came with an old rusting rooftop antenna. I figured it would never work when I first got HD. Much to my suprise it worked perfect and at no cost to me. :)

Doesn't hurt to try different antannas, doesn't cost you a dime if they don't work. Good luck.

EDIT: Grand Junction is about 25 miles from the towers as the crow flies.

#104 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,385 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:35 AM

Since DirecTV will be announcing 22 more DMA's by the end of this year.

It appears that the HD adds has been revised to 12 as of the Q3 conference call.

#105 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

Which 12?
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#106 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,385 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:25 AM

Which 12?

He didn't say.

#107 OFFLINE   crockett

crockett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

Yes, I saw the mention of 12 instead of 22. So nice of them to not let us know which 10 will NOT be turned on by the end of this year.

I put 22 kind of in sarcasm. I think 12 is being aggressive but I'm still hoping by some miracle that my DMA (GR) will be turned on this week and it includes ABC. I did read a post on AVS indicating a poster was called about the availability of the HR-20 and mentioned he has been told repeatably that the HR-20 would only be available once the local HDs were available.

But of course I know this to be a lie as well since I've had my HR-20 for two months now, from D* and installed by D* and I'm in the same DMA. Not bought at best buy but deliverd and installed by a D* labeled truck. After all the GR DMA has been promised since August...we must not forget that.

False hope or reality...time will tell.

But anyways....so now we're all excited right! 30 local SD DMA's and 12 local HD DMA's by years end! Go DirtecTV. Don't you ever give up, keep setting goals, no matter how many times you don't reach them, just think of that little engine that could story.

Also, why was this thread unpinned? This is HUGE news! I noticed it was unpinned shortly after the announcement was made that implied they were reducing the number from 22 markets by years end to 12 markets by years end. Perhaps it was unpinned because the title of the thread is now misleading and false but certainly it could be repinned with a more accurate title so others can follow D* progress on reaching their goal of 12 HD locals and 30 SD markets by years end.

I'm off for two days on business and can't wait to come back to a new perfectly working firmware and locals in HD, life is good with D*.

#108 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

As for being un-stuck...

I can't keep everything stuck for ever, so....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#109 OFFLINE   crockett

crockett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

Is this inside information that D* will not reach it's 25/12/10 HD locals goal by years end or forever for that matter?

And Earl, your that last person I want to drag into to my sarcasm and jaded attitude towards D* false promises, you've been nothing but a positive as far as D* is concerned.

The timing did seem odd and again it would seem appropriate that the thread stayed pinned until years end or they hit their goal, whichever came last.

But no worries and thanks for the reply.

#110 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:26 AM

Not a problem... didn't see it that way.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#111 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:14 PM

FYI that Grand Rapids market has been delayed a couple times due to not enough contracts with the local stations. Since 2 of them are owned by LIN (WOOD and WOTV) and the other is just plain stubborn (WWMT) that leaves only 1 of our stations that's probably signed. Expect this to continue to be a problem in our market as well as others.

#112 OFFLINE   szitzma

szitzma

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

Yes, I saw the mention of 12 instead of 22. So nice of them to not let us know which 10 will NOT be turned on by the end of this year.

I just noticed that the DirecTV website lists the 10 markets that are supposedly launching this fall:
Buffalo, NY; Greenville-Spartanburg, SC; Asheville, NC; Harrisburg-Lancaster, PA; Jacksonville, FL; Brunswick, GA; New Orleans, LA; Spokane, WA; Tulsa, OK; and Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM.

I don't recall this info being there last week.

Here's the URL: directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100086

#113 OFFLINE   pup154

pup154

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts
  • LocationRandleman, NC

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:05 PM

I just noticed that the DirecTV website lists the 10 markets that are supposedly launching this fall:
Buffalo, NY; Greenville-Spartanburg, SC; Asheville, NC; Harrisburg-Lancaster, PA; Jacksonville, FL; Brunswick, GA; New Orleans, LA; Spokane, WA; Tulsa, OK; and Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM.

I don't recall this info being there last week.

Here's the URL: directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100086

That info was there, but with different cities listed. I live in the Greensboro, NC market and we have been listed on there for the last 6 months. Now, all of a sudden, we are gone!! What's the deal??

#114 OFFLINE   rkester

rkester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

Interesting. Tulsa is in that list of 10 but not OKC, which is a larger market. No complaints from me, I'm in Tulsa area.

But it's honestly looking like for my area that the OTA will be enabled about the same time as the DTV locals.

I'd rather have the OTA for the best signal quality and no rain fade. But at this point, I just want one of them to be active so I can record in HD. This watching while live business is killing me.

#115 OFFLINE   TheMoose

TheMoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 763 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

Interesting. Tulsa is in that list of 10 but not OKC, which is a larger market. No complaints from me, I'm in Tulsa area.

I think the reason is Tulsa has a call center & OKC doesn't.

"Racing is . . . . . . . . Life . . . . . . . Everything before & after is just waiting"

#116 OFFLINE   rkester

rkester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

I won't argue with Tulsa being first, that is for sure. ;)

#117 OFFLINE   mjcash

mjcash

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

Pup, I am wondering the same thing. Where did Greensboro go? I called D* today and the person I spoke to could not tell me why Greensboro was no longer listed. They could shed no light as the when it will be added. I would like to know at least if it is going to be a day, month, year? Getting frustrated since I have had the HR20 for 2 months and the local HDs seem to be getting further away.

#118 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,270 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

I suspect that a lot of the "dropped" cities are where Directv hasn't been able to make any progress getting the local stations to sign up. I recall seeing somewhere that they won't add anything until they have agreements with at least two stations. I don't know what (if anything) they are offering the stations, but some of them appear to be greedy. It isn't necessarily about money. Some want their digital subchannels carried in addition to the main HD channel (which the bandwidth probably won't allow) and it has been reported that Tribune (which owns many stations) won't allow any to be carried in HD until they all are (which may also run into bandwidth issues).

#119 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:26 PM

FYI that Grand Rapids market has been delayed a couple times due to not enough contracts with the local stations. Since 2 of them are owned by LIN (WOOD and WOTV) and the other is just plain stubborn (WWMT) that leaves only 1 of our stations that's probably signed. Expect this to continue to be a problem in our market as well as others.

These greedy sacks of crap need to remove their heads from their hind quarters soon... :mad:

#120 OFFLINE   pup154

pup154

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts
  • LocationRandleman, NC

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:01 PM

Pup, I am wondering the same thing. Where did Greensboro go? I called D* today and the person I spoke to could not tell me why Greensboro was no longer listed. They could shed no light as the when it will be added. I would like to know at least if it is going to be a day, month, year? Getting frustrated since I have had the HR20 for 2 months and the local HDs seem to be getting further away.

I feel your pain. I got mine as soon as it was available and so did another guy here at work. I was so looking forward to the locals in HD. At least I was able to get 2 of the "distant networks" in HD (Fox and ABC). The guy I work with said that some of the local stations here in Greensboro are being difficult about the whole thing. I think what bobnielson said is exactly right. Some channels want them to carry their subchannels. I guess all we can do is hurry up and wait.

John
Sony 46" LCD
HR44-500 (w/2TB external HDD)
HR24-500 (w/2TB external HDD)
DirecTv since 1998 and Primestar before that.
Sirius/XM Lifetime sub Since 2005

Gasoline is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking, NITRO is for racing!!!

#121 OFFLINE   lionsrule

lionsrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

DIRECTV to Deliver Local HD Programming in 67 Markets by Year End
Twenty Five More Local HD Markets Named; Approximately 74 Percent of U.S. Television Homes will have Access to Local HD Channels from DIRECTV

http://phx.corporate...4114&highlight=

I just wanted to remind everyone what the first post of this thread stated. They sure are churning these babies out fast aren't they? Three cities in 7 weeks? Damn, that means they only need 22 in the next 5 weeks.......

#122 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,385 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

Damn, that means they only need 22 in the next 5 weeks.......

We haven't forgotten. The people grooming DirecTV for sale have simply reduced the expectations steadily as new cities aren't launched. At this point, they've reduced the expectations to two markets per week. They won't get another chance to mislead investors until February.

#123 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:35 PM

I don't anticipate any new cities until Mid November, all 25 may be rolled out by the end of 1Q 2007. This is realistic. I don't expect my market (Flint, MI) to be lit up until 1Q '07. D* is being wildly optimistic with "25 by the end of the year".

I was just curious and called D* to ask when Flint might get HD LiL's and the CSR said LATE 2007. So 4Q 2007. Take it with a grain of salt--it's a CSR, you know? But that's what she said.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#124 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

Does any one know a new estimate on the NORFOLK, VA HD LOCALS? I don't see it on the new list so I'm guessing its delayed again. FIOS TV Is scheduled to launch on some time I jan 2007 and they should have all the hd locals, D* is falling behind in this market.

#125 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,457 posts
  • LocationN.E North Carolina

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

Does any one know a new estimate on the NORFOLK, VA HD LOCALS? I don't see it on the new list so I'm guessing its delayed again. FIOS TV Is scheduled to launch on some time I jan 2007 and they should have all the hd locals, D* is falling behind in this market.

"LATE 2007"

See my latest post: http://www.dbstalk.c...8795#post748795

-Donnie-

Protected By... spam firewall...And...