Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My 921 started "clicking"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   The Guv

The Guv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

Hey gang,

Pretty quiet these days in here for those of us who still have a 921 DVR. My 921 has been working pretty well lately, but now I have the following issue.

Yesterday morning, I woke up and heard my 921 "clicking" when I came into my living room. FYI, I usually leave my DVR unit powered on overnight (I sometimes rewind an hour or so of IMUS on MSNBC when I leave the DVR on MSNBC overnight).

The unit had the picture freeze at the same time when I first turned on the TV monitor yesterday.

I did a power button hold-for-ten-seconds reboot and the clicking went away and things were fine. However, the clicking came back a few hours later and is still coming back every 2-3 hours. I have done both power button and power cord unplugs.

Earlier tonight, it was clicking and I just turned the power off the 921, but even with it off, the clicking would not stop (until I rebooted).

One more thing, sometimes it will click and will only temporarilly freeze up the screen on the channel I am viewing for a couple of seconds, but the live action will continue (although the pic has frozen on one image twice, including the first time I turned my TV on Monday morning and noticed the clicking).

Any idea what may be going on or what I should do? Is my unit about to crash? I have several things (me on TV news and on TV at a Cubs game) I would like to record to my DVD burner before my unit crashes or is turned in for a MPEG-4 upgraded reciever (I am planning to do that in the next 6 months anyway).

Sorry for the ramble...but I'm a Ramblin' Man. :hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KKlare

KKlare

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:02 PM

Yes, it will crash shortly. Watch what you can or record it out because it will be lost. Maybe today, maybe next week, but soon. I'm on number 4.
-Ken

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

Practically speaking, you'll diagnose the disk and in case of significant degradation ( read SMART data, check sectors ) replace it. Using DPP or by yourself, this is your choice.
Keep in mind - receiver or DVR are computers with satellite tuner or two. :)

#4 OFFLINE   kckucera

kckucera

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

Yes sorry to say it sounds like the same death spiral that I have twice experienced. No certain time frame for the final death rattle but certainly within a few weeks at most. Maybe techsupport has a way of now mapping bad sectors on the hard drive at least worth a call to them. Good luck
2 Each Dish 622s (Software L6.14) Boot 1711 RBDB-N
Sat 500PP at 61.5 and Sat 1000.2 at 110/119/129
Unit 1 HDMI out to HDMI Panasonic AE700U to 96" screen via Gefen 2x1 HDMI Switcher (BetterCables HDMI cables)
also OPPO Digital DVD and NAD Reciever / Amp -- USB.2 500G SimpleTech External HD (working fine so far)
Unit 2 HDMI to DVI Sharp AQUIS 37" LCD 1080i with Samsug DVD and Sony STE 595 Receive/ Amp.
Other Dish Reciever 221 HDMIto DVI out to Samsung 56" RP-DLP

#5 OFFLINE   BarryO

BarryO

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

'sounds like your hard disk is failing; the "click" happens when there is a sector read failure, and the head returns to Track zero to re-set. This'll get worse until the disk fails completely. Unfortunately, hard drives have limited lifetimes.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

actually, 'click' happen when heads cannot be unparked

Protected By... spam firewall...And...