Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
Smart Strips power saver and DVR
Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:16 AM
A SmartStrip is a power strip that cuts the power to all items plugged into the power strip when the main item (TV) is turned off.
Most of the other devices I have look like they would be unaffected by this.
Not sure about the wear and tear on the DVR though. Also, would I lose my program since the DVR was not plugged in overnight?
Thanks in advance.
Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:48 PM
For several reasons.
1) if you have any timers set during the power off time, you will NOT get those recordings.
2) When a DVR loses power, it has to reboot, which is good ocassionaly but not everytime you power off your TV.
3)updates and program guide info is normaly fed to the DVR at night, using these would be altering that schedule.
4) DVRs are NOT meant to function with their power being interrupted SO often.
IN FACT you should consider using a UPS
(battery back up - power surge combo protector)
INSTEAD on your DVR. This will help protect and make your DVR function FAR better.
Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:34 PM
Did not even think about the recording isssue....
Would be a real bummer to never be able to record.
Maybe I'lll try to smart strip for some of the other items (DVD player, receiver) and go with a BackUPS for the dish.