Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Smart Strips power saver and DVR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mikegerard

Mikegerard

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

Anyone have experience using a SmartStrip power saving device with a DVR?

A SmartStrip is a power strip that cuts the power to all items plugged into the power strip when the main item (TV) is turned off.

Most of the other devices I have look like they would be unaffected by this.
Not sure about the wear and tear on the DVR though. Also, would I lose my program since the DVR was not plugged in overnight?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   retiredTech

retiredTech

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

Do NOT use these with your DVR.
For several reasons.
1) if you have any timers set during the power off time, you will NOT get those recordings.
2) When a DVR loses power, it has to reboot, which is good ocassionaly but not everytime you power off your TV.
3)updates and program guide info is normaly fed to the DVR at night, using these would be altering that schedule.
4) DVRs are NOT meant to function with their power being interrupted SO often.

IN FACT you should consider using a UPS
(battery back up - power surge combo protector)
INSTEAD on your DVR. This will help protect and make your DVR function FAR better.

#3 OFFLINE   Mikegerard

Mikegerard

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

Thanks...

Did not even think about the recording isssue....

Would be a real bummer to never be able to record.

Maybe I'lll try to smart strip for some of the other items (DVD player, receiver) and go with a BackUPS for the dish.

Thanks again,
Mike

spam firewall