Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Receiver Installation FAQ

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

Welcome to the HD Receiver Installation FAQ!

Note:
1. Only an HR20 (not HR21) can receive all of your local HD channels (OTA).
How to get an HR20 instead of HR21 (Thanks to Hasan)
2. The H20 and H21 are not HD DVRs (Digital Video Recorders) and can not Rcord or Pause.

These are the most Frequently Asked Questions about HD Receiver Installation and Setup. While these are specific to the HD DVR PLUS HR20 or HR21, these concepts apply to all satellite receivers. Let's get started!

What do I need to know when I place my order?
HD DVR (HR20/21) Ordering Tips

What are the basic steps I could take to insure a great installation?
→ See the Receiver-Installation-Tips.pdf link below.

What satellite dish do I need? Will the existing dish work?
5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish

What will I be asked to sign once the installation is complete?
Installation ChecklistAgreement

Do you have a cheat sheet to help me find all of the features?
Undocumented Tips & Tricks

How Do I program my Remote to also control my TV, DVR, stereo or another satellite receiver?
Remote Control Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What can help me transition from TiVo?
TiVo Users Survival Guide

Why would I want to connect a TV antenna to my HD Receiver? How do I do it?
Local HD Channel SetupGet More Great Local HD Channels

How do I connect more than one TV to an HR20 or HR21?
Connecting The HD DVR+ to Multiple TVs

How do I setup my HD DVR+ so that I can I listen to MP3 music and see jpg photos?
HR20: Networking and ViiVNetworking with Windows Media PlayerNetwork Configuration

Do you have any other links that might help me?
Installation ForumGrounding Requirements
Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM)
Customer Installation Support:1-888-355-7530Dish Installation Videos

We hope that this will give you a great start with your HD Receiver. You have dozens of other resources in the larger HD DVR FAQ.

- Craig

Download History: 15,944 Downloads

Attached Files

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

Awesome compilation! Thanks for taking the time to write it.
A couple of minor nits:

in step 3, the dish is an "AT9". "A9" only comes from Amazon ;-)

in step 12, you might want to note that sometimes a reset is required in order to get DD working. This may have been resolved in a recent release, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned in release notes.

Great work! Thanks again for compiling the tips.

#3 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

Awesome compilation! Thanks for taking the time to write it.
A couple of minor nits:

in step 3, the dish is an "AT9". "A9" only comes from Amazon ;-)

in step 12, you might want to note that sometimes a reset is required in order to get DD working. This may have been resolved in a recent release, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned in release notes.

Great work! Thanks again for compiling the tips.

Thank you for your help! I incorporated your ideas and a number of other ideas sent privately including:

+ How and why you need surge supression and a battery backup.
+ The Frequency Translator Modules need to be connected when the new content is released next year.
+ Specific steps to set up Dolby Digital and parental controls

Thank you for yet more ideas!

Earl, can these installation tips be added to the Tips and Tricks for the HR20 sticky note? Think how many problems could have been prevented if everyone had known these tips and tricks before they first installed their HR-20's.

-Craig

#4 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

Another suggestion, what you refer to as FTMs are actually "BBCs", or BroadBand Converter modules. They allow the unit (which is designed with FTM functionality) to work without one.

The other side of the FTM will likely replace what we're now using for a multiswitch, and will allow two tuners in the DVR to share a single line to the FTM multiswitch replacement.

Other than that, it looks good!

#5 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

Matto,

Thank you for more great ideas. I updated again. I have also created a companion piece for everyday tips:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=67933

Hope you like that as well. Please let me know you corrections and ideas for that one as well.

#6 OFFLINE   Jomanscool2

Jomanscool2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

First off, thank you, this is very usefull information. I will probably go buy a few battery backups soon (been meaning to for a while, now I have more motivation.

Second, my installer did not plug in the included BBC (I still have them, though). Currently, the direct tv goes straight from the dish, to the multiswitch they gave me, to the boxes. Two of the feeds from the multiswitch go directly to the HR-20, nothing in between.

What should I do with these two BBCs, if anything?

From what I can tell, everything seems to be running fine. But who knows.

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

What should I do with these two BBCs, if anything?

Keep them. You'll need to install them when the new Ka-band MPEG4 satellites go active early next year.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   Jomanscool2

Jomanscool2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

Thanks litzdog, but would there be any consequence to installing them now? I mean, wheres a better place to keep them than actually connected to the box?

P.s., I love the picture, reminds me there are actually people out there I'm talking to and not just robots :grin:

#9 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:23 PM

Thanks litzdog, but would there be any consequence to installing them now? I mean, wheres a better place to keep them than actually connected to the box?

P.s., I love the picture, reminds me there are actually people out there I'm talking to and not just robots :grin:

You can safely install them now. Some folks have had issues with dead BBC's though, so be prepared to remove them if you have problems.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#10 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

If you install them now you can tell if you are receiving signals on the 99 and 103 sats or not. The signals will not be strong because they are spotbeams pointed in other directions, but you will be able to tell that the BBCs are letting the signals through and you are ready for the new sats.

Then remove them if you have problems and call D*!

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#11 OFFLINE   getrusty

getrusty

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:16 AM

Good job but I disagree with the HDMI being problematic. I am using it on 3 systems and all are flawless.

#12 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

Good job but I disagree with the HDMI being problematic. I am using it on 3 systems and all are flawless.

You're lucky. The situation is certainly improving, but some folks are still have compatibility issues.

#13 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips & Tricks Version 2.0 is Complete!

The companion piece to the Installation Tips is the UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips & Tricks. Version 2.0 of those tips is now available at:

There is a new page of added tips and many corrections and clarifications.

Again, thank you to everyone for your ideas and especially to Earl for making this possible.

Please keep the ideas flowing!

-Craig

#14 OFFLINE   whitey2755

whitey2755

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips & Tricks Version 2.0 is Complete!

The companion piece to the Installation Tips is the UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips & Tricks. Version 2.0 of those tips is now available at:

There is a new page of added tips and many corrections and clarifications.

Again, thank you to everyone for your ideas and especially to Earl for making this possible.

Please keep the ideas flowing!

-Craig

Vey, Very helpful. Thank you very much!!!:hurah:

#15 OFFLINE   nFavor

nFavor

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

I absolutely agree that a battery backup is a good idea but you don't mention the biggest reason that I use it. You'll never have to wait the x minutes it takes to restart the unit if the power dips out for a second.

The first time that most anyone looses x minutes of a recording, they'll quickly go out and get a UPS for their unit!

#16 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:03 AM

I will note that at the very least you can lose part of a recording to a power dip unless you have a UPS. I will add this note and many other feedback notes to the Installation Tips and get the new version posted today. -Craig

#17 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:34 AM

Thank you to so many who have sent ideas and corrections, especially 911 medic and nFavor.

The HR-20 Installation Tips version 2.0 has been posted.

Please keep the ideas coming!

- Craig

#18 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

Cabling issues represent many of the calls to Tech Support. There are simple steps you can take to help prevent most of them. Those new tips have been added.

ADDED:

As to HDMI, we have seen maybe a hundred people state that by going from HDMI to Component they solved problems. We have heard from many that HDMI was working great for a while and then problems began.

We have not seen one person say that they had Component problems that HDMI solved. Tech support has seen the same pattern and is asking users not to use HDMI unless they have to.

One answer might be to run HDMI in one Video Input on your TV and Component on another. You always would have a fail safe that way if you had problems with HDMI. A true nerd could flip back and forth endlessly to check out the picture quality on every channel!

Take care,

Craig

#19 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, Florida

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

Hey guys, this is a great section, but I just got the HR20 today to install tomorrow morning. I am upgrading from the HR10-250 on my own without an official install. I recently moved so the AT9 dish has been installed and wired by a D* installer. I think I understand that I just pull the cables out of the HR10 and plug them into the corresponding plugs on the HR20.

However, I do not see any instruction on what the BBC modules are for and where and how they are to be installed.

Also, do i have to call D* to activate the box even though I already have HD DVR service? I am going to move my HR10 to my bedroom.

Thanks for any ideas and sorry for the dumb questions.

#20 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

...I recently moved so the AT9 dish has been installed and wired by a D* installer. I think I understand that I just pull the cables out of the HR10 and plug them into the corresponding plugs on the HR20.

You should be able to unplug them from the old box and plug them into the new box.

However, I do not see any instruction on what the BBC modules are for and where and how they are to be installed.

Install the BBC's on your Sat inputs. You will need them next year for your Ka band (B Band) signals)

Also, do i have to call D* to activate the box even though I already have HD DVR service? I am going to move my HR10 to my bedroom.

Yes. D* has activated the old box with a particular card. A different card or box requries a different activation. I suggest keeping the old box set up until you are confident in using the HR-20.

-Craig

Protected By... spam firewall...And...