Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coax Cable Connections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crackers

crackers

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:58 PM

Had my installation yesterday and went very smoothly considering all the problems I've been reading about. However, the installer moved the new AT9 dish to the roof since he said it was too heavy to be mounted on the side of the house where the old 3LNB dish was. In any event he made a short cable run from the old dishes coax cable connections to the roof where there is another set of coax cable connections which ties into the new dish. In both cases, the connections are exposed to the elements and will definetely get wet when it rains/snows etc. Is this right or should they somehow be protected from the weather. I checked that all connections are snug and tight. Is there something more I can do to weatherproof them myself or should I call D* and tell them to come out and do it the right way?

I've heard there are some rubber boots which can be used to cover the connections but that won't work since the two cables are not directly connected but rather they are through some sort of mounting plate that is just laying on the roof but tied to the support mast.

Should I be concerned?

p.s. I've seen the pictures of the Zinwell multi switch connector and that is not what is exposed. These are simply the coax cable connections (two sets of them) that are exposed to the rain.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:19 PM

Hopefully the installer used weather-tight coax connectors with internal O-rings to seal the connections. It shouldn't really matter that the exterior part of the connectors are exposed. But if it concerns you can coat them with weatherproofing compound or heatshrink tubing.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

spam firewall