Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR 522 and connecting it to my PC through USB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NightmareDragon

NightmareDragon

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hey i am never gonna use a pocketdish, they are ungodly expensive. So i was wondering, Is it possible to connect my 522 to my pc through usb, and move the files from my 522 to my hard drive?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kf4omc

kf4omc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

Simple question. The Simple answer is "NO"!!!

This is what I did. I got a DVD recorder and recorded what I wanted and from there I put it on my computer.

#3 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:51 PM

Hey i am never gonna use a pocketdish, they are ungodly expensive. So i was wondering, Is it possible to connect my 522 to my pc through usb, and move the files from my 522 to my hard drive?

Nightmare,

You actually think the PocketDish is expensive, really. They are much cheaper than the Video IPOD, with more accessories, Built-in MPEG2 encoder, not limited to Pay services like I-tunes Video.

For the features of the PocketDish I think their price point is reasonable for features and it's abilities.

John

#4 OFFLINE   NightmareDragon

NightmareDragon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

Really? there is not even some kind of program that'll let me into my dish reciever? some drivers i can install? anything? i'm not trying to do anything illigal, i just want to save some shows before my DVR gets full. my dish unit has a usb port there has got to be something.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

DBSTalk User Agreement (please read it here)

(m) Discussion about hacking into the content of Personal Video Recorders (PVR's) including digital transfer of undecoded programming from the PVR's hard drive to another medium is prohibited.

The only supported way to copy content off of your hard drive is via the Audio/Video outputs - you can connect a DVD burner, PC video capture, even a VCR if you have one of those around.

The only supported use of the USB is to transfer programs to a PocketDish for portable playback. Nothing more.

#6 OFFLINE   AKDishuser

AKDishuser

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

"Discussion about hacking into the content of Personal Video Recorders (PVR's) including digital transfer of undecoded programming from the PVR's hard drive to another medium is prohibited.[/indent]The only supported way to copy content off of your hard drive is via the Audio/Video outputs - you can connect a DVD burner, PC video capture, even a VCR if you have one of those around.

The only supported use of the USB is to transfer programs to a PocketDish for portable playback. Nothing more."

Hey, JL, I'm not discussing how digital content might be transferred, but I am wondering what the legal situation is, and I'm sure many others on this site share my interest.

Here are the facts: I own my DVR and have paid Dish in full for the satellite broadcasts I've recorded to the HD. Apparently Dish has no problem if I want to transfer a decoded=degraded analog version of these recordings to the medium of my choice. Obviously my use of both the digital content and any analog copies is governed by copyright laws, i.e. I can't sell the content or charge others to view it etc.

I know full well that Dish doesn't "support" any means by which to transfer digital content to another storage medium. The proprietary DVRs haven't been designed to make this possible. The only hardware interface that is intended to work requires use of another piece of proprietary hardware, the PocketDish, and presumably there is no way to get digital content from the PD to another HD, DVD, etc., either (I don't own a PD but assume this is the case).

But, here's my question: if I own the personal use rights to the recorded content and own the physical DVR, what if any is Dish's residual legal interest or property right over that content? If Dish maintains that it has some sort of interest in either the content or the hardware, has this ever been tested in court? Because it seems to that while the artists and production companies that created the content have a residual interest in it under our federal copyright laws, Dish doesn't.

Also, I know that the digital code Dish uses is proprietary. A similar situation to computer code, e.g. Microsoft's Windows operating system code. However, the law allows me to make backup copies of my XP software and of documents created using MS Word, etc. MS does not forbid me from using DVDs, flash media, other HDs, etc. to store these backup copies. So what's the difference between this situation and Dish's stance on making digital backups of legally-recorded content, assuming this were technically possible?

Please elucidate, if you can, so we can all know what is and isn't legal!

Thanks --

CT in AK

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:31 PM

At this point it is irrelevant. The site rule for DBSTalk is that we do not discuss transfering content off of DVR hard drives. The obvious exception would be PocketDish transfers since that is a supported use of a receiver. If E* ever comes up with other supported uses (such as USB drives for the 942 and 622) we will talk about them. I realize you are a new registrant, but we have been down this road before - once people start talking about what is legal or not it becomes a complaint that the processes should be able to be discussed - we are NOT going there.

As far as I know there is no hack way of using the USB to do what you want anyways ... but it is beyond what we allow here. We don't excuse hacking the content of a DVR - whether or not it is legal. So whether or not it is legal becomes moot.

#8 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

This site has a rule, in essence, do not delve into hacking.

I've never asked why--I just assume it is to keep the site running in an open, friendly, informative nature.

I assume they have do draw a line, about hacking, some place.

Where they have drawn the line, suites me fine.

Bob
Bob, a novice in electronics.

spam firewall