Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL: Giants/Bears make NFL History; Game moving to primetime

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Giants/Bears game moving to prime time
Source: http://www.nbcsports...742/detail.html

The Chicago Bears and New York Giants, both emerging after early-season runs as legitimate NFC title contenders, will meet at night on Nov. 12 at Giants Stadium in the first-ever "flex" scheduling game in NFL history, the league announced Tuesday.

The matchup underscores the league's ability to do what has for years been routine in college football -- move the start times of key games to television prime time.

The Bears are 6-0, with a ferocious defense and a shot at coming into the Nov. 12 game 8-0. Chicago plays its next two games at Soldier Field, against San Francisco this week, Miami next. Through those first six games, the Bears' defense has given up but five touchdowns.

The Giants, meantime, after a 36-22 defeat of the Cowboys Monday night at Dallas, have surged to 4-2, with games at home this week against Tampa Bay, next week against Houston. Tiki Barber, with 647 yards, is the NFL's leading rusher. Over their past three games, the Giants' defense has given up only 39 points.

Sunday Night Football analyst John Madden said: "I'm a big believer in the sound of a football game -- Giants-Bears, New York-Chicago -- this is one of those games that just sounds like a football game. This is an old-time NFL game with real tradition and now it looks like a great game with the Bears undefeated and the Giants in first place in the toughest division in football."

The flexible-scheduling plan runs from Weeks 10 to 15 and in Week 17 of the league's schedule. Only games originally scheduled for Sunday afternoon are eligible for a swing to Sunday night; the flex plan does not apply to games on Thursday, Saturday or on Monday nights.

During Weeks 10-15, league rules call for 12 days of advance notice to move a start time to Sunday night. During Week 17, the decision to move a game-time start can be cut to six days -- the league has said the idea is to aim for a night game with playoff implications.

The league has also said CBS and Fox can protect a total of five games in the seven weeks of flex scheduling -- but not more than one game in any week.

The move to implement a flex plan in the 2006 season follows a study the league conducted last year involving mock flex scheduling; it was run by an eight-person committee made up of team executives, one from each division. Television executives and NFL broadcasting officials also took part.

Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ruesch37

ruesch37

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Giants/Bears game moving to prime time
Source: http://www.nbcsports...742/detail.html

GO BEARS!!!

#3 OFFLINE   bslowey

bslowey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:10 PM

Da-Bears suck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go G-Men!!!!!!!!!!

#4 OFFLINE   DougRuss

DougRuss

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

Da- Bears !!!!!!!!:D

G.Men ( Garbage Men) :D

#5 OFFLINE   loudog2

loudog2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

Go bears!! I read that they are going to bump 2-3 more games. Definitely the Minnesota game is moved to sunday night. Also, they might bump the New England game too. And depending on the record some more at the end of the season. The network can move up to 6 games for one team.

#6 OFFLINE   bluedogok

bluedogok

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

On NFL Live tonight on ESPN they stated the Cowboys-Giants game set a record for most viewed show ever on "cable". It beat out the NAFTA debate between Gore and Perot for that distinction.

I thought that kind of odd.

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:42 PM

I am a Bears Fan..

But I really don't want them to bump THAT many games...

I can't go too many Sunday afternoons with out Da' Bears

And if they continue to do that... they will get the rest of the country AGAINST the Bears even more so.

There are other deserving teams of the primetime slot as well.

I know here in Chicago we give NY and East Coast teams a beating because they always see to have the Network broadcasts and evening broadcasts for Baseball and Basketball....

And seem to have more "visibility" on say ESPN and stuff like that.

So keep it fair... I understand that the Bears are hot right now and it will pull go raitings... but damm... you don't want to burn it out... Football is pretty damm popular and I am sure there are some other compelling games that the nation would like to watch.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:10 AM

So do you guys think we'll see a new version of the Super Bowl Shuffle this year? Do any of you remember that? :D

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

So do you guys think we'll see a new version of the Super Bowl Shuffle this year? Do any of you remember that? :D

Most definenlty remember it... and you will probably NOT see a new official version of it.

There have been plenty of "YouTube" type versions though already.
Most of the sports radio stations here have already been stupidly doing it.

They are only 6-0.... that is not even half way throught he season yet.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

I am a Bears Fan..

But I really don't want them to bump THAT many games...

I can't go too many Sunday afternoons with out Da' Bears

And if they continue to do that... they will get the rest of the country AGAINST the Bears even more so.

There are other deserving teams of the primetime slot as well.

I know here in Chicago we give NY and East Coast teams a beating because they always see to have the Network broadcasts and evening broadcasts for Baseball and Basketball....

And seem to have more "visibility" on say ESPN and stuff like that.

So keep it fair... I understand that the Bears are hot right now and it will pull go raitings... but damm... you don't want to burn it out... Football is pretty damm popular and I am sure there are some other compelling games that the nation would like to watch.

I think there is a two game limit per team, along with the other FOX/CBS protection rules. So, don't expect them to pull the Bears every week now:nono2: .

If they remain undefeated thru week 11, then they may pull the Week 12 Bears/Pats game.

After that, their schedule is weak.

#11 OFFLINE   rpl47

rpl47

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

I'm a huge GIANTS fan. Season ticket holder....avid tailgater as well. I'm glad to see this game bumped up to prime time. Madden is right...there's something great about GIANTS vs. BEARS...it just sounds like football. Sorry Earl, but my prediction: GIANTS 23 BEARS 14

#12 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:55 AM

Bears vs Giants, nice matchup. I applaud the descision of the NFL to implement the flex schedule. If you are fan of the NFL you got to love it. Its the equivelant of a 14 point turnarund IMO. :) :up:

#13 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

Bears vs Giants, nice matchup. I applaud the descision of the NFL to implement the flex schedule. If you are fan of the NFL you got to love it. Its the equivelant of a 14 point turnarund IMO. :) :up:

Their lead-in show is decent, too. Less hype than MNF.

The announcers on NBC are good, too. Madden actually comments on the game.

I don't think Tony Kornheiser on ESPN even watches the game. He just acts like this is an extension of his opinion show Pardon the Interruption.

Can wait, hope both teams win out the next two weeks, so it will be 8-0 vs 6-2.

If not, it'll wind up being another "Bears don't play anybody good" story.

We're not ND! :lol:

BTW, I know the Giants are good

#14 OFFLINE   agreer

agreer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:34 AM

Why buy ST if they can just pull all he good matchups to night games?

#15 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:01 AM

Why buy ST if they can just pull all he good matchups to night games?

There are a number of reasons NOT to buy NFL ST. If you mostly watch your local team, are a casual fan, or are happy with the number of games on the networks and basic cable channels, then you should NOT buy it.

There are going to be five games per week NOT on NFL ST(1 on NFLN, 3 on FOX/CBS, 1 on NBC, 1 on ESPN) after Thanksgiving. That's a 1/3 of the schedule.

The number one reason I buy it is to watch Da Bears every week.

Number two: I want to choose what else I can watch.

#16 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

The number one reason I buy it is to watch Da Bears every week.

While I agree with that statement.

The real #1 reason why ST is purchased...
So you can what your local team, when you are no longer in the local market.

Which would be the reason why I would purchase it, if I didn't live in the Chicago area.... but since I do... I find it really difficult to drop the $300 on it.

I just take the 4,5,6 games we get to see each week.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#17 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

Another factor, when the network sometimes switches to a game they deem more exciting than the one you want to see, is pretty irritating to someone who is trying to follow a particular team. At least it irritates ME.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...