Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What channels to view locals on the 811?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

I am now seeing the "free locals preview" video loop on several channels on my 811. The statement made in that video says you can view the new locals between channels 2-69. Is this true with the 811? I currently get my "OTA" locals down in the 4-12 range, but the new "Dish" locals are coming through up in the 8000 range. Dish tech support tells me the 811 is different & can't be set up to view the Dish locals down in the same range as the OTA's. Which is correct?

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

The 811 can do either "dish" locals or OTA locals in the 2-69 range but NOT both at the same time.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

Yes and no.

It can not map down SD LiL (Local in Local) and analog NTSC OTA locals into the same range.

It can however map down SD LiL and digital ATSC OTA locals into the same range. I have been doing this for a long time.

#4 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

Yes and no.

It can not map down SD LiL (Local in Local) and analog NTSC OTA locals into the same range.

It can however map down SD LiL and digital ATSC OTA locals into the same range. I have been doing this for a long time.

When I go into the menu & go to the "local channels" tab, there seems to be no selection that would allow me to do so. It makes it appear as it will do either/or. Basically it asks if I want to replace my OTA locals with my Dish locals. (And I didn't try it because I didn't want to mess things up). Is there something I'm mis-understanding?
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#5 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

When I go into the menu & go to the "local channels" tab, there seems to be no selection that would allow me to do so. It makes it appear as it will do either/or. Basically it asks if I want to replace my OTA locals with my Dish locals. (And I didn't try it because I didn't want to mess things up). Is there something I'm mis-understanding?

Menu 6-1-5, Options, Use Dish locals.

This will bring your LIL in the same range as your digital OTA, digitals appear as 10.1, 10.2, etc, 10.0 would be LIL at that point.

And again, if you scanned any analog OTA channels, this will not work.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...