Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

:confused: Got the HR20 two nights ago and Wife is upset

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nocturnalis

nocturnalis

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:43 AM

So I got the HR20 two nights ago and my wife pretty pissed off and told me to send it back :( We have a Samsung SIR-TS160 and that use to be the main reciever in the livingroom. It had no DVR and she wanted to record shows. So I'm picky about my hardware and decide to get the HR20. It's nothing like the Samsung when it comes to ease of use. Anyway what she wants that the Samsung has is the ability to schedule a show (can't really put it into words it's early morning :P) She want to set the reciever to jump to a show that she programs ahead of time. If it's 8pm and a show starts at 9:30pm we can go to that 9:30 show and set the clock icon go. Once 9:30 rolls around we get a message to OK to jump to that channel.

I don't use this much my wife LOVES this feature and wants the HR20 to go if it can't do it amongst other things.

I'm sure this has been noted before. I'm trying to calm an unhappy wife.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:55 AM

Welcome nocturnalis,

Keep in mind that what you have now is an almost completly different animal than a standard receiver. For one thing the HR20 has 2 tuners and it is a DVR. Just set the HR20 to record what you want to watch (See Manual) then when you are ready to watch go to MyVOD (I usually just hit List on the remote) select your show and start watching. Forget about your old way of watching TV Live. Once you get used to it you will wonder how you ever watched TV the old way.

#3 OFFLINE   nFavor

nFavor

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:06 AM

I have to agree with the previous poster. You're seriously going to need to invest some time to learn the unit. Even for us PVR veterans, it takes awhile to learn the new DVR. Many things are/were similar to my Tivo and other things are completely different.

Please give the HR20 some time. If you have questions, please feel free to search the forums or post. Most people say to give it 2 weeks before making your finial opinion on the HR20 and I'd say that they are right.

#4 OFFLINE   patsrule316

patsrule316

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

I don't know what the "amongst other things" are, but once you learn how to record a show, the not automatically jumping to the show when it starts, will be a useless feature. When you can watch a show when you want to watch it (including starting the show at the beginning even while the show is recording), who cares if it jumps to it right when the show starts?

#5 OFFLINE   lguvenoz

lguvenoz

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

I would tend to agree that this is a low priority feature for a DVR. On the flip side though I'm pretty sure that our UltimateTV DVR had this capability. There are people that actually just watch live shows when they're home and record them only when they would miss the show (I know it's not the full power of a DVR, but hey different strokes for different folks).

If enough people squawk about this, I'm sure that D* might consider adding the capability. It definitely is not there today.

#6 OFFLINE   dkd

dkd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:15 AM

I thought the "Tune" option does this for both DVR or non-DVR receiver. It jumps to the channel you want at specified time.
Also, if you leave the receiver on or watch a show, at 9:30 there will be a popup message in lower right corner asking for permission to jump to that channel 10 secs ahead. At least, that was what I saw while watching a live HDD show last night, and a 9:00pm recording for "The Unit" on CBS kicked in. If I pressed "No", then it would not jump to CBS.

#7 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

This is typical of new DVR owner thinking. What you have is NOT a VCR. It does far more.

Try pausing live TV for a while (about 15-20 minutes for a one hour show) and demonstrate how to skip through the commercials. You can do this with a pre-recorded show too.

Also show her how you can watch another channel while her show is being recorded - or even record two things and watch a third, pre-recorded show

Once she (and you) stop thinking of it as just another way of recording, she'll soon come round.
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#8 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

I wonder if the OP has even looked at the manual yet ?

#9 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

I too miss that function.. would even be nicer if you could set a playlist..possibly across recorded and live

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#10 OFFLINE   Rob55

Rob55

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:16 AM

It had no DVR and she wanted to record shows.

Not for nothing, but if you want HD and she wants to record, then she doesn't have much of a choice, it going to have to be either the HR20 or the HR10-250 (if they're still available). And, employing some kind of out-board recording solution to satisfy her recording wants would just be silly. I agree with the other posters, show her some of what the DVR can do (pause live TV, fast-forward through commercials, dual tuners ,etc...) and I think you'll convince her. Good luck.:)

#11 OFFLINE   nocturnalis

nocturnalis

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the comments all.

As for reading the manual. Been there done that. We do know how to set the HR20 to record shows at a set time and we did get the message to switch. BUT why do I have to set it to record for it to do that? Why can't I just go to a future show and set it to jump to that show at the start time. Just jump there not record. If anything this feature that I'm talking about is more of a reminder that a show is about to start that I would like to see if you are caught up in a 2 hour movie to kill time until said show starts.

I'm not looking for a VCR but in it's current state that is what it seems to be. If I record a show I have to watch the show while it's recording. I know about the other input but I have not tested if mine even works.

I am a new DVR owner after all these years so please bear with me.

#12 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

As for reading the manual. Been there done that. We do know how to set the HR20 to record shows at a set time and we did get the message to switch. BUT why do I have to set it to record for it to do that? Why can't I just go to a future show and set it to jump to that show at the start time. Just jump there not record. If anything this feature that I'm talking about is more of a reminder that a show is about to start that I would like to see if you are caught up in a 2 hour movie to kill time until said show starts.

I'm not looking for a VCR but in it's current state that is what it seems to be. If I record a show I have to watch the show while it's recording. I know about the other input but I have not tested if mine even works.

The Ultimate TVs did this and I've missed this feature ever since. You could set it to record and remind you, set it to remind and not change channels or set it to change to the channel.
John

#13 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't having the show recorded for you to watch at any time better than jumping to the show? Plus you can finish watching that 2 hour movie you are caught up in. One statement you made, that you have to watch the show while it's recording is false. The recording gets put into your MyVOD list, which is a list of all the shows you have recorded, for future playback at anytime after the show has started including before it has ended!

As for two inputs, just look behind your unit to make sure you have 2 satellite feeds hooked up. (It should be fairly obvious) Or try recording two shows at the same time, if they both record, you have both tuners hooked up.

#14 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:47 AM

DAMM! How hard is it to pick up your remote at a certian time and change to the channel you want to watch :confused:
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#15 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:51 AM

DAMM! How hard is it to pick up your remote at a certian time and change to the channel you want to watch :confused:

More importantly, if you have a DVR, why the heck would you want to watch TV live?
Does the OP really like watching commercials?

#16 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:53 AM

I'll have to echo, I can't think of a single time when I'd even care what's on "now", much less be prompted to switch to it.
"You should just watch the shows when they are on instead of recording them" -- anonymous DirecTV CSR
"It's like a PC... sometimes you have to reformat the hard drive." -- ibid

#17 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

It takes one second to hit the record button on all the shows you watch in the guide. Just record the shows you want and watch, then watch them when you want.

It seems to me that you dont want to take the huge advantages a dvr has over a standard box. Once you get to know the functions the hr20 can do compared to your samsung you will be wondeing why you waited so long to try a dvr.

Also you should have two cables connected to it for the ability of recording two shows at the same time and watching a previose recorded show. Try to pause live tv on your samsung and then continue the show. That function alone beats the standard box. Just play around with the box for a couple of weeks the dvr will grow on you and your wife.

#18 OFFLINE   kencc

kencc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

My wife was unsure at first took a few days to teach her & myself but she is very happy with it now. There are some nice forums here that are a big help. Don' be too quick to give up on this.

#19 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

This is typical of new DVR owner thinking. What you have is NOT a VCR. It does far more.

Try pausing live TV for a while (about 15-20 minutes for a one hour show) and demonstrate how to skip through the commercials. You can do this with a pre-recorded show too.

Also show her how you can watch another channel while her show is being recorded - or even record two things and watch a third, pre-recorded show

Once she (and you) stop thinking of it as just another way of recording, she'll soon come round.

Totally. Once I showed my wife these features a number of years ago (early adopter), she was hooked. In fact, I'll bet once she sees the power of how it changes TV watching habits, she'll never want to go back. If she's someone who likes to "sit down at the appropriate time" to watch a show live, show her that recording a 1 hour show gives her an extra 20 minutes or so to finish up something else, then she can watch the same show in 40 minutes and skip all of the commercials. :)

#20 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

nocturnalis, I tried to convince my wife for months to get a DTivo, no sale, she just couldn't understand the benefits. As it turned out one of her friends got a DTivo and she was raving about how cool it was. Only then did I get the green light to get the thing (Which I did pretty much on the spot). After about a week she apologized for giving me a hard time about getting it. Now we have 3 of them.

Just wondering if you have any friends with a DVR unit of any kind? If so maybe they could walk you through all the benefits and basic operation. If not, spend some time with it and be patient. Sooner than later you'll "get" how to use the thing and you won't regret it. You'll probably become absessed with it like so many on these forums are.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...