Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I choose which tuner does the recording?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JHolman

JHolman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

I'm a little confused about recording to TV1 vs TV2. My newbie question: Does which tuner matter for my purposes? If I'm almost always using the 622 in the Single Mode (rarely need to be watching something different on a second TV), do I have any reason to care if an HD show is being recorded via the TV1 or TV2 tuner? I guess I don't quite get the relationship between the 1 and 2 tuners and the 1 and 2 outputs -- I understand that the TV2 out is limited to SD. Does that mean an HD program recorded via the TV2 tuner will also be recorded at the lower SD resolution? Or are both tuners functionally identical, with only the outs being different (which wouldn't matter, if any recorded program can be later sent to either out)? Does selecting Single or Dual mode affect the resolution at which either the TV1 or TV2 tuners will record?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:56 AM

There is NO relation between tuners and outputs. All tuners can and do record HD or SD. If you run in single user mode, it'll make no difference to you which tuner records because the 2 satellite tuners are exactly the same.

Welcome to DBSTalk, JHolman! :hi:
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#23 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,212 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

Forget trying to control tuners.

What is needed is the ability to set up separate user list(s) of recorded events
with the ability to password-protect a list to prevent unauthorized viewing of the
list and its' content, and to prevent accidental/unauthorized erasure.

Nick's Event List - Enter PIN (_______)

Sue's Event List -- Enter PIN (_______)

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#24 OFFLINE   articos

articos

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:17 PM

I thought about manual changing of tuner assignment and on the surfice it seems simple, however, my gut tells me there is more than meets the eye.

Lets say you have alot of events for the day and you change your first events tuner. The result is a conflict so you need to either stop there or allow the user to resolve it. user resolves the conflict and thus creating another conflict and so on and so on. Add dual mode into this mix and I can see a lot of room for mistakes to be made and confusion. My guess here is that Dish wanted the tuner selection process to require as little user intervention as possible.

Most people (Away from this board), don't have the concept of tuners. They have the concept of recording shows and my guess is they did not want to provide such an option given this type of user base. Would be a nice feature I agree, but my guess is that it is not as simple as one might think.

Ron, I agree and I disagree. I do think Dish tries to err on the side of keeping it simple for the everyday user, but to the point of their detriment, sometimes. In this case, I think they just didn't think the feature all the way through. One of my annoyances with this box is if you schedule 2 back to back recordings, sometimes the box will miss a few seconds as it switches recording from one show to the next. The 2 programs could be set up on different tuners to record if you had control over it and you wouldn't miss anything. Or separately, if the Dish network time is off from the broadcast network time, it will cut off early and lose a few seconds sometimes as it switches to another recording. Unfortunately, there's no way to fix these/catch what you missed during either switch, even if you extend the record time, because of the way they have this set up. If I could control the tuners, I could prevent both of these situations and not have to deal with network time issues or tuner/buffer switches. On the whole, I think the engineering team did a stellar job with the 622 - there are some issues though that still need to be addressed to make it truly intuitive and able to "just work".

#25 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:40 AM

??? If you extend the time on back to backs, the 622 will automatically use different timers - unless you have created a conflict - in which case something will be skipped.

Pat

#26 OFFLINE   articos

articos

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:12 PM

??? If you extend the time on back to backs, the 622 will automatically use different timers - unless you have created a conflict - in which case something will be skipped.

Pat

Nope, Pat, mine doesn't always do that - a lot of times it schedules both for the same tuner, and just runs from one into the other.

#27 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

Nope, Pat, mine doesn't always do that - a lot of times it schedules both for the same tuner, and just runs from one into the other.

True if you only have the standard pad. But if you extend by say 10 minutes, it may consider making conflicts and seperate timers.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

spam firewall