Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mpeg4 up and running

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ruesch37

ruesch37

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

As of today Madison, WI locals are available in HD on FOX, NBC & CBS. Great news for sports lovers!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EidolonGG

EidolonGG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

As of today Madison, WI locals are available in HD on FOX, NBC & CBS. Great news for sports lovers!!!

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#3 OFFLINE   Zamps

Zamps

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

I just noticed! Sweet! No channel 27 (ABC) yet. Hopefully it will be soon.

#4 OFFLINE   EidolonGG

EidolonGG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

I just noticed! Sweet! No channel 27 (ABC) yet. Hopefully it will be soon.

Ahhhh crap I din't notice that till AFTER I hooked up my stuff. Now I'm going to miss college football and Lost in HD for a bit with Dolby Digital - sonuva!!!

#5 OFFLINE   Zamps

Zamps

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

The guide currently shows each channel (SD and HD). Will it eventually only show the HD local channels?

Also is there a better way to tell the difference between the two. Like on OTA it should it as channel 3 and 3-1. It's a little confusing, mostly when HD stuff isn't on.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

The guide currently shows each channel (SD and HD). Will it eventually only show the HD local channels?

Also is there a better way to tell the difference between the two. Like on OTA it should it as channel 3 and 3-1. It's a little confusing, mostly when HD stuff isn't on.

The first one in the guide will be your MPEG-4 Local

I have my favorites set to hide the SD versions of the channels.
The favorites take effect in the guide and channel changing.

Also... the MPEG-4 should be listed with the Station Name..
For example Fox-32 in Chicago say WFLD under the channel number for the MPEG-4.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Badger

Badger

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

Way to go D*! Seems like the Madison HD locals are up a little earlier than I expected. I'm waiting till spring to get my AT9 and HR20 though. Won't be missing anything because I get all the Mad City locals OTA 56 miles north of the city. :)

#8 OFFLINE   Zamps

Zamps

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Earl. I'll have to toy around with setting up the favorites. I haven't had time yet.

When my installer came about 3 weeks ago, he said Madison HD locals would be available on Oct 27th. I just said "Oh really." figuring he had no clue what he was talking about. Turns out he was pretty close. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Zamps

Zamps

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

Also... the MPEG-4 should be listed with the Station Name..
For example Fox-32 in Chicago say WFLD under the channel number for the MPEG-4.

I just checked my guide and it says the station name for both channels. :confused:

I can already hear my wife when she gets home "Why are there two channel 47s?" :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   jman8382

jman8382

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

I can see a difference in the MPEG-4 from the MPEG-2 OTA. I did a side-by-side comparison with my Samsung SIR-TS360 D* reciever and OTA and the HR20 and the MPEG-2, as expected looked better. The big difference seemed to be that the MPEG-4 picture would get jittery. I am guessing this is due to the compress/decompress. As the stations just came out however, they may improve.

#11 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,784 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:52 PM

The big difference seemed to be that the MPEG-4 picture would get jittery.

Curious, are you seeing the 'jittery' picture on all the MPEG4 channels or just NBC and CBS but not FOX? Also, if you see it only on NBC and CBS is it only on video based material and not film or both? Thanks

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   EidolonGG

EidolonGG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

I can see a difference in the MPEG-4 from the MPEG-2 OTA. I did a side-by-side comparison with my Samsung SIR-TS360 D* reciever and OTA and the HR20 and the MPEG-2, as expected looked better. The big difference seemed to be that the MPEG-4 picture would get jittery. I am guessing this is due to the compress/decompress. As the stations just came out however, they may improve.

Any ETA on ABC HD?

#13 OFFLINE   EidolonGG

EidolonGG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

Oh also, any word on what sats and transponders the Madison HD locals are coming in on?

#14 OFFLINE   ruesch37

ruesch37

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

Any ETA on ABC HD?

Kind of strange they don't have ABC in HD because Charter does. On the bright side we get FOX in HD which Charter does not carry.

#15 ONLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

Listing updated.

#16 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

Listing updated.

it looks like you're missing Hawaii from your list, Chris. I think they're already lit.

#17 OFFLINE   EidolonGG

EidolonGG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

Kind of strange they don't have ABC in HD because Charter does. On the bright side we get FOX in HD which Charter does not carry.

I agree... Charter sucked big time. I've been running OTA on my H20 as the primary reciever so I can watch my network HD shows and football on the big TV, but today I switched the HR20 to the primary TV.

When I had Charter... yeah the lack of Fox in HD angered me because of the NFL games (Tho now I have sunday ticket) and some of their shows I watched.

Until OTA is enabled on the HR20 I'll just watch ABC HD stuff on the secondary HDTV I have in that room, but still somewhat disappointing.

#18 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:47 PM

Time to break out the cheese? :D

#19 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:39 PM

it looks like you're missing Hawaii from your list, Chris. I think they're already lit.

Honolulu is off the 99 satellite, but only in standard definition at this time.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#20 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

I live in Marshfield, north of Madison about 125 miles NNW. Would the spot beam from either Madison or Green Bay stretch this far? And if so would this qualify me to get the HD locals as nearby locals? Supposedly the Wausau-Rhinelander area won't get the HD locals until the end of 2007 the installers told me.

spam firewall