Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reconditioned HR-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lobo65

lobo65

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

My first HR-20 failed me (wouldn't pick up half the channels I was supposed to get), and had to be replaced. DTV Fed-Exed another to me yesterday, and on the box it said factory reconditioned. Sure enough when I activated it, there were two movies on there that the previous owner had recorded.

Have any of you guys received a reconditioned unit as well? I don't know how to approach the issue. I guess it's ok as long as the thing works. So far, so good. I do think they should have told me they weren't sending me a new one though.

Maybe that's all they have available right now with the shortages of the product.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

I've gotten several refurbed HD-Tivo's in exchange for bad ones. No biggie...

Makes you wonder what was actually wrong with it since obviously the hard drive is fine.......

#3 OFFLINE   bobojay

bobojay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:37 AM

I believe I'd call them and tell them that you got a recon unit with the previous owners movies still on it. All 3 of the HR20's I was sent were brand new units.
I wouldn't have a problem with a refurb if it started from scratch though. Just my thoughts.....
DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR LivRm, HR24-200 bedroom, AU-9 Slimline dish
Hitachi 50V500A 50" LCD HD TV, Component Hook Ups,
APC Smart U-P-S 900 Battery Backup

#4 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:42 AM

If a reconditioned HR20 had two movies on it from the previous subscriber, it was NOT reconditioned. Restoring the box to factory default is part of the reconditioning.

#5 OFFLINE   lobo65

lobo65

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, I think I'll call to at least let them know that there was some stuff still on there, and to see what kind of warranty I'll get on a refurbished product.

#6 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

It's a leased unit, what kind of warranty would you like?

#7 OFFLINE   lobo65

lobo65

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:10 AM

I just meant a free replacement if this one fails within 30 days, since I didn't get the protection plan.

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:13 AM

D* does not guarantee that replacement equipment will be new. In fact, they only guarantee that it will be a comparable model, not even the same one. I think it is D*'s usual routine with other receivers to replace defective units with refurbs if they have them available.

This is the first time I've read of a customer receiving a refurb so far. I expect there will be many, many more soon, as they refurbish--or at least "recycle"--those with problems.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#9 OFFLINE   Greenbay4

Greenbay4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

I got a "Reconditioned" H20 (my third replacement) a few months back. When I received it, the fuse was rolling around in the bottom and the fuse holder was obviously bent to keep someone from reusing it. For the hell of it, I bent it back into shape, popped the fuse back in and fired it up...... As you can guess, it was DOA. It was obviously NOT "Reconditioned". My experience with H20's was the same as my current HR20 experience..... Frustrating.:nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

It's a leased unit, what kind of warranty would you like?

The agreement says they don't have to replace a broken leased unit for free. If you don't have the protection plan and it breaks it's your problem. I was told on the phone that if it breaks I'd have to replace it. In most cases I'm sure they'd sent you out another one but they don't have to.

#11 OFFLINE   lobo65

lobo65

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:31 AM

I guess I'm lucky then. My H-20 has never given me a problem. I bought it from Circuit City about a year ago.

This refurbed HR-20 is working ok thus far. I'm keeping my HR-10 as a backup though. I used it until this model came in, and it's never given one problem in the past.

#12 OFFLINE   lobo65

lobo65

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:34 AM

I must not have read the agreement closely enough. I thought once you pay the money, the machine is yours. You are just leasing the programming. Am I wrong?

They have never asked for any equipment back when I've upgraded to a newer model like from HR-10 to HR-20. They have always replaced any faulty equipment I've ever had free, and thanked me for a being an "A List" customer.

#13 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

I don't remember the exact date, but I think that sometime during 2005 they changed the arrangement to leasing for most equipment in the hands of most customers.

I have upgraded two leased standard receivers to DVRs in the past few months and they did not ask for them back, either.

There are other threads on this subject with more info.

#14 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

How do you lease the programming ? Are you going to return the shows you've watched when you stop being a DIRECTV customer.

They started the leasing policy about a year ago. Any receiver you buy or get for free now is a leased unit.

I've heard that if you want to BUY the HR20 it'll cost your about $800.

I've never had any of my DIRECTV equipment fail not even my HDVR2.

#15 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:44 AM

The new equipment is leased, that is supposedly why there is such a LOW $299 price on the hardware.

I got my HR20 for free and have gotten several HR10-250's replaced for free. As a matter of fact, I have 2 spare HR10-250's sitting at home that I haven't sent back yet from my replacements.

#16 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

I even remember some guy having his 2 HR10s fail due to a lighning hit and DIRECTV sent him 2 replacements for free even though he didn't have the replacement program.

#17 OFFLINE   bobojay

bobojay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

I was told by 2 different retention people when I was upgrading to the HR20, that being these are leased units, that the unit will be replaced by D* if anything happens to it, no charge. The warranty coverage that you pay for now covers service calls and the dish etc.
I can cover that stuff myself..........especially since I installed all the wiring myself. The dish? I've got a source for a new one lined up if there is a lightning strike, and a guy that will come out and do the alignment and peak it for $95.00.
DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR LivRm, HR24-200 bedroom, AU-9 Slimline dish
Hitachi 50V500A 50" LCD HD TV, Component Hook Ups,
APC Smart U-P-S 900 Battery Backup

#18 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

I was told by 2 different retention people when I was upgrading to the HR20, that being these are leased units, that the unit will be replaced by D* if anything happens to it, no charge. The warranty coverage that you pay for now covers service calls and the dish etc.
I can cover that stuff myself..........especially since I installed all the wiring myself. The dish? I've got a source for a new one lined up if there is a lightning strike, and a guy that will come out and do the alignment and peak it for $95.00.

The written agreement I have says I have to cover the replacement cost myself if it fails. Maybe the 2 different retention people were telling you that to make you feel better about the leased unit even though it's not really true.

#19 OFFLINE   lobo65

lobo65

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

It doesn't matter if it's a leased unit anyway. I can only use it as long as I have DTV, so I would get a different DVR if I ever went with cable. Which I don't plan to do.

If this thing screws up, like the other one did in 2 weeks of ownership, and they didn't offer me a replacement, I might have to reconsider though. They make a lot of money off me for the programming I get.

They've been very accomodating all the years I've had them though.

#20 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:58 PM

"The written agreement I have says I have to cover the replacement cost myself if it fails. Maybe the 2 different retention people were telling you that to make you feel better about the leased unit even though it's not really true."

Think about it, if you are a good customer and your receiver fails, do you really think they are going to let you walk? Even if you pay the $12.50/month to buy out your contract (assuming you are still under contract?)

I'm betting, and others have said, that if you are a good customer they will replace your receiver. The contract wording is there for slow payers whom they don't care about keeping.

spam firewall