Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dishnetwork "your smartcard is not authorized" after unplugging.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JustinH

JustinH

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:37 AM

Quick question for the group.

We did some remodeling upstairs in the house, and I had one of my upstairs dishnetwork receivers unplugged for about 3 days.

I plugged it in, got it to download the guide, then it says something to the effect of "your smartcard is not authorized to watch this program", for basic channels that I pay for.

The only channels I can get is preview channels, nasa channel, and one church channel. Highly annoying.

I left the receiver plugged in, and called dishnetwork, who fixed it with an update.

Now its happening again. I unplugged the receiver to re arrange some furniture. It was unplugged for no more than a couple hours.

Same deal. Same error.

Anybody have any suggestions? Do i need to leave the receiver on to get something from the satellite, or do i need to call dishnetwork everytime i unplug a receiver.

thanks,
Justin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

Quick question for the group.

We did some remodeling upstairs in the house, and I had one of my upstairs dishnetwork receivers unplugged for about 3 days.

I plugged it in, got it to download the guide, then it says something to the effect of "your smartcard is not authorized to watch this program", for basic channels that I pay for.

The only channels I can get is preview channels, nasa channel, and one church channel. Highly annoying.

I left the receiver plugged in, and called dishnetwork, who fixed it with an update.

Now its happening again. I unplugged the receiver to re arrange some furniture. It was unplugged for no more than a couple hours.

Same deal. Same error.

Anybody have any suggestions? Do i need to leave the receiver on to get something from the satellite, or do i need to call dishnetwork everytime i unplug a receiver.

thanks,
Justin

This may or may not be related to the same issue, but see the following thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=67672

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#3 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,616 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

Unplugging may have the same effect that some of us are seeing by watching an OTA for several hours... getting the "unauthorized" message, but then it rights itself if you leave it on for a bit... time ranges from 1 minute to 10 minutes or so, your mileage may vary.

See the link above and see if your experience is similar. If so, it seems the "bug" is that if the receiver isn't directly tuned to a satelite channel every couple of hours then it forgets it is connected at all.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

Try to leave your receivers plugged in ... power and phone line. Disconnecting them and moving them about is not good.

#5 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

And your advice for minor remodels would be...........??????????

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

Put up with calling E* when returning the receiver to service.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...