Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Two Questions, one re:Atlanta, one: ota

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jlab13

jlab13

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:54 PM

Does anyone have anything to report on locals in atlanta? Just curious what to expect.

Also, can someone recommend a good ota antenna? I saw radio shack had a pretty small one that looked nice. mounts right outside the window. Just trying to avoid rabbit ears inside, and a major antenna on the roof.
Thanks all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Greenbay4

Greenbay4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

Does anyone have anything to report on locals in atlanta? Just curious what to expect.

Also, can someone recommend a good ota antenna? I saw radio shack had a pretty small one that looked nice. mounts right outside the window. Just trying to avoid rabbit ears inside, and a major antenna on the roof.
Thanks all.

I just posted this in the General Discussion thread earlier today:

I've had this problem since day 1 of going to HD. The macroblocking on my 1080i mpeg4 locals (NBC and CBS) is driving me nuts. The PQ on everything else is great.....

1) Mpeg4, 780p (Fox, ABC) locals.....Great!
2) Mpeg2, 780p (ESPN, ESPN2)..... Great!
3) Mpeg2, 1080i (HDNet, Discovery HD, Universal HD, etc.)..... Great!

The macroblocking can be so bad at times, I just go watch my SD tv. Fast moving pictures (sports, etc) are the worst.

Two questions,

1st Do others in Atlanta have this problem? (My guess is yes.)
2nd Will it ever be fixed? (My guess is no.)

Here's a link to that thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=68506

#3 OFFLINE   cybrsurfer

cybrsurfer

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

Thanks all.

You should be able to get your Atlanta locals in SD and HD (MPEG4) with the newer receivers. So you would only want OTA for networks like CW or MYTV. The type of OTA antenna to get depends on how far you are from the stations you want to receive. Right now OTA is not enabled with HR20, but should be by December 1.
2 HR20-700S (0xef) [Owned/Factory: MFG 8/29/2006&10/08/2006]
1 HR10-250 (6.3a-01-2-357) [Owned/Factory MFG 5/2006]
AT-9
I'm impartial to Dish/Echostar,DirecTV,Verizon FiOS or Cable. I have no bias as to giving information to members of the many forums on DBSTalk.

#4 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

I've had this problem since day 1 of going to HD. The macroblocking on my 1080i mpeg4 locals (NBC and CBS) is driving me nuts. The PQ on everything else is great.....

The macroblocking can be so bad at times, I just go watch my SD tv. Fast moving pictures (sports, etc) are the worst.

Two questions,

I get some audio crackling noise every so often in my home theater room that has Toslink SP-DIF thru Receiver. I think this is known problem. However, I agree mostly 95% perfect in Atlanta for OTA thru my H20. Also, for OTA I have a antenna that is flat on the roof and works great.....kinda like a cigar cut in half long ways. You can alot of web research: http://www.wkblog.co...g_and_ov_1.html

#5 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

You should be able to get your Atlanta locals in SD and HD (MPEG4) with the newer receivers. So you would only want OTA for networks like CW or MYTV.

CW is available in DT from D* in Atlanta.

#6 OFFLINE   cybrsurfer

cybrsurfer

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

CW is available in DT from D* in Atlanta.

I said CW or MYTV may be available via OTA, not DirecTV via satellite. You can get your locals like ABC,CBS,FOX,and NBC via satellite 103 in MPEG4 HD.
2 HR20-700S (0xef) [Owned/Factory: MFG 8/29/2006&10/08/2006]
1 HR10-250 (6.3a-01-2-357) [Owned/Factory MFG 5/2006]
AT-9
I'm impartial to Dish/Echostar,DirecTV,Verizon FiOS or Cable. I have no bias as to giving information to members of the many forums on DBSTalk.

#7 OFFLINE   f300v10

f300v10

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

Two questions,

Here's a link to that thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=68506

I do not notice much if any macroblocking on CBS. I do see it on NBC during sports, but the local NBC station multi-casts the weather+ channel so the main HD feed is over compressed. My point is the blocking is due to the local NBC station, not D*. I have compared D* MPEG4 to OTA many times, and the D* image is usualy very very close if not the same as OTA.

#8 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

You should be able to get your Atlanta locals in SD and HD (MPEG4) with the newer receivers. So you would only want OTA for networks like CW or MYTV. The type of OTA antenna to get depends on how far you are from the stations you want to receive. Right now OTA is not enabled with HR20, but should be by December 1.

I'm not familiar with the RS antenna, but getting the antenna outside and away from sources of RF interference should help a lot. How far are you away from the transmitting towers?

Google "antennaweb" and put in your zip code...it will show you what kind of antenna will serve your needs.

As far as "you would only want OTA....", many (most) find OTA HD superior to anything that D* can currently provide. If you want the best pix quality, OTA is the way to get it. As noted, OTA is not enabled on the HR20 yet, but is is coming "real soon now".

Let us know what you decide as far as OTA antenna goes (what antennaweb tells you, what the RS antenna is physically like, etc)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

I said CW or MYTV may be available via OTA, not DirecTV via satellite. You can get your locals like ABC,CBS,FOX,and NBC via satellite 103 in MPEG4 HD.

Like the other guy stated, "We get the CW in HD on Directv" Its the other one we do not get!:rolleyes:

#10 OFFLINE   Greenbay4

Greenbay4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

My point is the blocking is due to the local NBC station, not D*. I have compared D* MPEG4 to OTA many times, and the D* image is usualy very very close if not the same as OTA.

I am thinking about getting a good OTA antenna.... Are you saying I shouldn't waste my money, because the picture isn't going to be much different?:confused:

#11 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:15 AM

I am thinking about getting a good OTA antenna.... Are you saying I shouldn't waste my money, because the picture isn't going to be much different?:confused:

D* is subject to rain/snow loss of signal that OTA is much more immune to.

D* is unlikely to carry subchannels.

It is rare that D* HD-Locals will have the picture quality of OTA because D* is transcoding the feeds and is bit-starved. A few people report the MPEG-4 HD-Locals get very close. Most do not (and may not know what to look for).

If it isn't too much effort and money, OTA is still (and likely to be for quite some time) the Gold Standard of HD Picture Quality.

But hey, if you can't see the difference, don't bother. The same could be said for SD vs HD. (although a much bigger difference, of course)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#12 OFFLINE   f300v10

f300v10

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:45 AM

If you don't like the quality of the D* HD locals, then by all means install an OTA antenna. As I already had one, I have the OTA already connected on the HR20 and will set it up as soon as OTA is activated on the HR20. As far as a good OTA antenna, do yourself a favor and get the ChannelMaster 4228. It is the best OTA antenna out there and only costs around $50 at Frys.

#13 OFFLINE   genap

genap

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Check out this chart.
http://www.dbstalk.c...V_lil_list.html

#14 OFFLINE   jbellanca

jbellanca

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

1st Do others in Atlanta have this problem? (My guess is yes.)[/url]

I haven't noticed any macroblocking on my HD locals at all. I have noticed audio dropouts on occasion, maybe once every 15 minutes or so that might last 5 or so seconds. It's annoying for sure, but livable. Not sure if it's the Directv feed or on OTA also.

#15 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

Here is a very good OTA that is very low profile on the roof. Terk TV55

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2348403

You need to make sure and check directionals on this website to know good roof placement.

http://www.antennawe...aw/Address.aspx

#16 OFFLINE   Greenbay4

Greenbay4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:26 AM

Here is a very good OTA that is very low profile on the roof. Terk TV55

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2348403

You need to make sure and check directionals on this website to know good roof placement.

http://www.antennawe...aw/Address.aspx

Thanks for the info.

#17 OFFLINE   tsbrady1

tsbrady1

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:11 AM

I seem to have occasional problems with 11 pixillating and dropping out, don't have it on any other locals or in SD, did not have it with my H20 either. I also have a CM4228 with a 7777 (i think) signal amp mounted in my attic and it worked great on the H20.

#18 OFFLINE   jbellanca

jbellanca

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:47 AM

If you don't like the quality of the D* HD locals, then by all means install an OTA antenna. As I already had one, I have the OTA already connected on the HR20 and will set it up as soon as OTA is activated on the HR20. As far as a good OTA antenna, do yourself a favor and get the ChannelMaster 4228. It is the best OTA antenna out there and only costs around $50 at Frys.

I agree that that's one of the best, if not the best, antenna, but honestly it depends on where you live as to what you should buy. I live in midtown Atlanta, and since I'm so close to all the towers, I just use a little $20 Radio Shack one up in the attic that works 100% perfectly for me and I get all the stations available with no dropouts or fiddling.

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

I just use a little $20 Radio Shack one up in the attic that works 100% perfectly for me and I get all the stations available with no dropouts or fiddling.

You must not watch much of anything on the CBS affiliate, WGCL... :D

They have audio dropouts, pixelation, and other issues all the time. They have had HD "issues" for 4 years, and only this summer finally moved forward on investing in 21st century equipment (not all in place or configured). They're lucky if they can handle a 3-hour HD segment without problems, let alone 24 hours.

spam firewall