Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sacramento FOX HD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kenlani

kenlani

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:34 AM

I decided to call the Sacramento FOX station and ask when they will go to HD on Directv also to beg for a waiver so I could go back to LA FOX---Answers from the technical manager were :

1: FOX 40 will not go with HD to Directv or Dish ever because it means a loss of "broadcast Quality" to their customers.

2. FOX 40 does not give waivers because they are only an afffiliate and dont have the ability to do so-waivers have to come from their parent company.

HUH????WHAT????What??

:eek2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:50 PM

I decided to call the Sacramento FOX station and ask when they will go to HD on Directv also to beg for a waiver so I could go back to LA FOX---Answers from the technical manager were :

1: FOX 40 will not go with HD to Directv or Dish ever because it means a loss of "broadcast Quality" to their customers.

2. FOX 40 does not give waivers because they are only an afffiliate and dont have the ability to do so-waivers have to come from their parent company.

HUH????WHAT????What??

:eek2:

Oh man does this post hit home for me. I too am in your situation, I have applied numerous times for Los Angeles FOX HD (channel 89) and keep getting my waiver denied; funny thing is I have CBS and NBC L.A. HD feeds though. I can't pull FOX-KTXL with my OTA antenna and they don't broadcast their HD signal in locals :confused:

I have been meaning to call the station as well. Those answers surprise me very much. I can't believe they told you they don't give waivers; cause I was told by DTV that it is up to my local affiliate, not them. I talked to an advanced tech support agent last week from DTV and they assured me: "We here at DTV are very good friends with FOX"..... yeah right. It sure is funny that we get every other network in HD locals (NBC, ABC, CBS, AND CW), but no FOX. I'm very upset about this factor alone. Not to mention my ABC local HD won't give me DD 5.1, but CBS and NBC do.

I'm gonna call up KTXL and give them hell now. BTW, what number did you call.... you can PM me if you'd like.

Thanks-

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (3) HR20-700s *2 Owned, (1) HR21-700, (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR24-200, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#3 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:06 AM

FOX 40 will not go with HD to Directv or Dish ever because it means a loss of "broadcast Quality" to their customers.

This is simply not true. The reason FOX40 is not being carried has to do with contract negotiations between their parent company and D*. Once those negotiations are completed, rest assured D* will add FOX40 to their lineup.

This problem is not unique to this station -- it is happening with stations all over the country. Follow this thread for detailed info:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=68497

#4 OFFLINE   kenlani

kenlani

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:13 PM

Miracle of Miracles I received a postcard from Directv sayng that FOX40 granted my waiver!!!--So I checked my programming and sure enough I get LA and NY on 388, 389------BUT NO HD---

So, I call Directv and ask them to turn on 89 LA FOX in hd-----NOPE---- FOX40 only granted a SD waiver per my request and now I have to request a HD waiver.---------

Does this seem correct? Why would I need a HD waiver from FOX40 when they do not broadcast HD via satellite?

So, now I get FOX on three channels but still no HD

Isnt a waiver a waiver??? Anybody know the exact technicalities of the waiver requirement?

#5 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:31 PM

I don't know the particulars of your situation, but I've heard plenty of stories about SD vs. HD waivers. Apparently, they are two separate things. Given your location though, I don't see why you would have any trouble receiving waivers, as there's no way you're going to get off-air signal there.

You should probably just go with the flow, request the HD waiver and see what happens. I don't even know if "North of Tahoe" is part of the Sacramento market -- I would tend to think that belongs to Reno. I'll have to check that out.

#6 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

For those of you subscribed to this thread, if you haven't heard, FOX40 is now being passed through in HD on DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...