Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Radio Frequency Remotes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Treble

Treble

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

Hello,

My Directv RC32RF Radio Frequency remote works great with my H20 receiver. The H20 is RF capable and the RC32RF remote is also RF capable. I need the RF to control the receiver through a door. However, the remote will not work with my TV (tried all codes, etc.)

So I bought a Universal Remote brand RF10 radio frequency remote that has learning functions. I fugure use the universal code for the H20 and the Learn function to use the TV. The RF10 emits the signals in both RF and IR.

The RF10 will not control the H20 Sat receiver in RF mode. I did not buy the RF receiver module that is for the RF10 (this converts the RF signal back to IR) since the RF10 remote emits both RF and IR at the same time and the H20 sat receiver is RF capable with the little antenna hooked up in the back.

My question is this:

Does a remote like the Directv RC32RF send a specific RF signal (frequency) that is specific to the H20 sat receiver? Does a Universal Remote like the RF10 have its own unique RF signal that will not work directly with the H20 receiver?

Just want to know if the RF10 remote will work with the H20 receiver and accept the RF emmision directly from the remote or if I have to buy the liitle RF receiver that converst the signal back to IR.

If your dizzy reading this, I understand. Sorry. Can anyone shed some light

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

Does a remote like the Directv RC32RF send a specific RF signal (frequency) that is specific to the H20 sat receiver?

Yes!

Does a Universal Remote like the RF10 have its own unique RF signal that will not work directly with the H20 receiver?

Probably not. The RF10 is designed primarily to simulate an IR remote using its own RF communications scheme.

#3 OFFLINE   Treble

Treble

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

Thanks. You were really paying attention.

Does this mean the RF10 remote does not directly send an RF signal that the H20 Sat receiver can read?

If yes, I guess this means I have to buy the RF receiver that comes with the RF10 remote so that, once the signal goes through a wall, it can convert the signal back to IR. Which also means I have to change the H20 Sat reciever back to receiving IR signals.

Is the above correct.
:eek2:

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:15 AM

Does this mean the RF10 remote does not directly send an RF signal that the H20 Sat receiver can read?

To be certain, you would have to ask Universal Remote. The documentation says that in order to control devices that are not line of sight, you must use the base station. I would take this as an indication that it is not designed to emulate an RF remote.

This is why I said:

Probably not. The RF10 is designed primarily to simulate an IR remote using its own RF communications scheme.

spam firewall