Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is ESPN Irrelevant in Sports Programming?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

Irrelevant, yes. Over, probably not. :shrug:

If you go by their HD tv listings today, ESPN is well on its way to becoming just a
footnote in the 50 year history of tv sports programming. Just take a look at their
pitiful 'sports' tv listings for today's prime sports hours, 12 noon to 11pm, Sunday,
October 29, 2006.

ESPN HD
NFL Countdown
Bowling
Hot Dog Eating
Hamburger (eating?)
Figure Skating
SportsCenter
College Football
SportsCenter

ESPN2 HD
Drag Racing
NHRA
Volleyball
Cheerleading
Streetball (4 hrs)?
Soccer
Drag Racing (3 hrs)
Poker

What a "revoltin' development"!

The good news, of course, is that those avid sports fans who have lost the
remote will get to broaden their scope of interest in other "sports", such as
hot dog eating. :lol:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,462 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

Nick: I'll grant you that the schedule doesn't have much going on, but then , there isn't a lot of sports activity at the moment. The baseball season is over and the NBA season hasn't started yet. To their credit, ESPN does have a college football game on today, and tomorrow night, it's Monday Night Football. At least, they're not showing Mickey Mouse Club reruns! :D

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

Yes, by all means run first run live sports vs. the NFL on CBS and Fox and NASCAR on NBC. Yep, that is the ticket right there, bub.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

Ummm... since ESPN has never had NFL football during the day on Sunday... and only the Sunday night game when they did have NFL on Sunday until this year... I don't see how comparing today's ESPN lineup makes them now suddenly irrelevant.

They would always have been irrelevant using that logic for the entire history of ESPN's existence since NFL Sunday daytime programming has always been on the OTA networks during ESPN's existence.

#5 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

Well for people who don't want to purchase many sports subscriptions (college fb, college bb, mlb, nba) ESPN is a good way to get a lot of sports on the cheap. They ran 2-5 MLB games weekly. with lots of good match-ups. I think they'll run many NBA and college b-ball games coming up soon, as usual.

Sportcenter is the "must see TV' show nightly for most sports fans.

Plus, why bother competing too hard with the NFL on sunday afternoon?

From the first kick-off 'till NBC SNF, they could run ESPNEWS on all their channels for all I care.

With all due respect, I think you are way off base on this one.

#6 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

Starting next year ESPN and ESPN2 are making a pretty significant jump into the Nascar circle. The second half of the Nextel Cup season will be split between ESPN and ABC and ESPN2 will air all of the Nextel Busch races. They are also adding supporting Nascar shows and pre-race countdowns. I suppose if one is not a Nascar fan though this ranks about the same as another Hot Dog eating contest. :lol:

#7 OFFLINE   agreer

agreer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:26 AM

Starting next year ESPN and ESPN2 are making a pretty significant jump into the Nascar circle. The second half of the Nextel Cup season will be split between ESPN and ABC and ESPN2 will air all of the Nextel Busch races. They are also adding supporting Nascar shows and pre-race countdowns. I suppose if one is not a Nascar fan though this ranks about the same as another Hot Dog eating contest. :lol:

Now we just need to move Sunday Night Football and I will never have to put up with the bathtub-echo on NBC-HD live feeds...

#8 OFFLINE   Deke Leonard

Deke Leonard

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:57 PM

What I miss about ESPN is that they used to have a couple of hours of Sports Center on in the morning then fill the rest of the day with replays of completed events. I would stay clear of the morning paper and Sports Center so I wouldn't know who won. Not knowing the final, it was like watching it live. I don't care for their orignal programing and 6 hours of repeated Sports Center every morning is just to much. That's the way I see it.
"Razor Blades and Rattlesnakes" :cool:

#9 OFFLINE   bluedogok

bluedogok

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

I wish they still had Australian Rules Football like they did 20 years ago instead of it being relegated to Setanta Sports for an extra fee, which I already pay a bunch for Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings and Center Ice.
A Sooner in Austin

#10 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:51 PM

I wish they still had Australian Rules Football like they did 20 years ago instead of it being relegated to Setanta Sports for an extra fee, which I already pay a bunch for Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings and Center Ice.

+1 I'd like to see them provide even more diversity in their programming. I love some of the sports that don't get a ton of exposure. Table tennis is a good example. Those guys (and gals) are fun to watch.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#11 OFFLINE   colavsfaninnwia

colavsfaninnwia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:44 AM

I will add another, how about CFL football?

#12 OFFLINE   Deke Leonard

Deke Leonard

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

I will add another, how about CFL football?

Back in the mid to late 80s they had the CFL, I rather enjoyed it.
"Razor Blades and Rattlesnakes" :cool:

#13 OFFLINE   bluedogok

bluedogok

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

You can find CFL games on the regional sports networks and even a few live games. There are a couple of games showing tonight.
A Sooner in Austin

#14 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:40 PM

You can find CFL games on the regional sports networks and even a few live games. There are a couple of games showing tonight.

CFL is shown on the following networks:

Channel 621 – MSGN
Channel 623 – NESN
Channel 624 – FSN NY
Channel 629 – CSN MD/DC
Channel 640 – CSN Chicago
Channel 644 – Altitude
Channel 656 – CSN West

This week are the conference finals, next week is the Grey Cup, all of those games should be shown live. From their webpage here are times for CSN West (No Cal, SF, SJ, Sac, Monterey, Central Coast, etc):

Sunday, November 12 Scotiabank Championship at TBD 12:00 PM
Sunday, November 12 Scotiabank Championship at TBD 3:00 PM

2006 CFL GREY CUP CHAMPIONSHIP
Sunday, November 19 Winnipeg, Manitoba at Canad Inns Stadium 3:00 PM

Times are PST, of course

#15 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

CFL is also shown live in HD on dish ch 9477 Worldsport. HDSportsGuide.com says Grey Cup for sure. Program guide is currently showing to be announced. They also show live soccer from Spain. Anybody else watch the old voom channels?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...