Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr-20 Nightmares

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kelkin

kelkin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:06 PM

I'm "upgrading" from a HR10-250, though I'm really just adding the HR-20 to the bedroom and keeping my HR10-250 in the livingroom. When the installer came, he checked out the location of my current dish which is at eye level mounted to one of the supports which hold the balcony above me up. He proceeded to tell me that there is no way he can mount the dish since it's too big & heavy for the pole, and it requires 3 mounting brackets to support the dish. I looked at the dish, and although it is definitely larger and heavier, I didn't feel his assessment was accurate so I convinved him to just install the HR-20 to my current dish and leave the new dish behind and I'd install it myself. (I have installed many dishes including 10' C Band dishes in the past) After opening the box, I see in the instructions that you *can* mount it to a pole and it even says the other two brackets which support the arm of the dish are optional. Has anyone installed the dish without those supports and had any problems? I'm guessing the fear is that the arm might sway a little in windy conditions.

To make matters worse, I think there's something wrong with the receiver. I am unable to hear audio on any of my HD channels. All I hear is a popping noise, just like when there are bad weather conditions and the screen gets all pixelated.. but my screen is fine, and this only happens on the HR-20. I have tried with DD enabled and disabled, and also checked the outputs going to both my TV and to my stereo.. both have the same problem. Is anyone else experiencing this? DTV is sending me a new receiver and is playing dumb, however from reading this forum I'm wondering if this is a known issue and similar to the other problems I see reported.
-Keith

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

To make matters worse, I think there's something wrong with the receiver. I am unable to hear audio on any of my HD channels. All I hear is a popping noise, just like when there are bad weather conditions and the screen gets all pixelated.. but my screen is fine, and this only happens on the HR-20. I have tried with DD enabled and disabled, and also checked the outputs going to both my TV and to my stereo.. both have the same problem. Is anyone else experiencing this? DTV is sending me a new receiver and is playing dumb, however from reading this forum I'm wondering if this is a known issue and similar to the other problems I see reported.
-Keith

Total loss of audio like that... in both DD and DD Disabled modes..
That would be a new one (well at least one that I haven't seen posted yet).

Have you tried rebooting the unit yet?

And are these always connected via Optical? HDMI? Red/White?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:20 PM

Re: Pole mount. It's done all the time. Mine is on a 5 foot pole in my backyard. No extra supports (really no way to use them on a pole mount anyway).

#4 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,060 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:57 AM

Re AT-9 mounting: not only can you mount it on a pole, you can also mount it via a "foot"-type bracket to a solid wall. Mine's mounted to a south-facing brick wall on my house and it's great. I had signal strengths in the mid-upper 90's in the middle of a heavy rain and wind storm last week. So long as it's mounted solidly and peaked properly, it can be installed in a variety of places: poles, posts, walls, roofs, whatever.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#5 OFFLINE   cawgijoe

cawgijoe

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:10 AM

Mine was originally mounted on the roof into solid wood that I added in the attic between the rafters so there would be something to bite into without monopole supports.....this was before the monopoles were available. No problems. I added two monopoles later myself for insurance.

The installer had no clue.

As stated by others, there are several ways and methods for mounting the AT-9.

spam firewall