Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Nip/Tuck - Botched Recording

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

Four days with the HR20 and I have my first recording issue. I set Nip/Tuck to record tonight and when I went to play it (while it was still recording - yellow light on) it was not listed in MyVOD. When I looked in the ToDo list it was there, however if I hit 'Play', it simply went to the current live program. I looked in the History and it said Partial recording. I am glad that I still have my 4 year old Hughes Tivo backing up the HR20. I think it may prove to be more trustworthy.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

Four days with the HR20 and I have my first recording issue. I set Nip/Tuck to record tonight and when I went to play it (while it was still recording - yellow light on) it was not listed in MyVOD. When I looked in the ToDo list it was there, however if I hit 'Play', it simply went to the current live program. I looked in the History and it said Partial recording. I am glad that I still have my 4 year old Hughes Tivo backing up the HR20. I think it may prove to be more trustworthy.

Welcome to the "Partial Bug"

#3 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

Welcome to the "Partial Bug"

I wish there was at least a 'Partial' recording. I got nothing.

#4 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

I wish there was at least a 'Partial' recording. I got nothing.

Stop trying to make sence, that is just too logical. The HR20 and D* knows what is best for you. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

Stop trying to make sence, that is just too logical. The HR20 and D* knows what is best for you. ;)

It is illogical not to use the spell check feature.

"sense"

#6 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:07 PM

It is illogical not to use the spell check feature.

"sense"

You got me, feel better, you are a much better person than I am. :icon_lame

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:12 PM

Please... enough already...

What has gotten into the water around here lately....

If spelling was a requierment to be around here... I would have been gone after post #1
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Twosted

Twosted

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:22 PM

Please... enough already...

What has gotten into the water around here lately....

If spelling was a requierment to be around here... I would have been gone after post #1

I are no understind wha all tha fuse bout spilling:D

#9 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:32 PM

Back to the topicck at hand. So I tried to record Nip/Tuck again as they run back to back. While it was recording, my wife was watching it in realtime. At one point, I tried to pause it and it wouldn't pause nor would it rewind. When the show was over, I went back to MyVOD and tried to play it. All I got was a black screen and it refused to FF/RW, etc.

Question? Does this fall under the realm of buggy software and "might" be fixed with an update, or is my unit on the way out?

#10 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:29 AM

Back to the topicck at hand. So I tried to record Nip/Tuck again as they run back to back. While it was recording, my wife was watching it in realtime. At one point, I tried to pause it and it wouldn't pause nor would it rewind. When the show was over, I went back to MyVOD and tried to play it. All I got was a black screen and it refused to FF/RW, etc.

Question? Does this fall under the realm of buggy software and "might" be fixed with an update, or is my unit on the way out?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ght=unwatchable

The Unwatchable or Unplayable BUG

#11 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:07 AM

it means you have an HR20

#12 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:15 AM

Sorry you ran into a few bitter users whose experience has not met their expectations. They hang around in their agony to try to share it.

Yours is a bug that should be correctable via a software update. Hang in there. Listen to the negative comments offered constructively, but seriously, avoid the forum cancer that is matto.

Xaa

#13 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:48 AM

Since no one suggested it. Try a reset. That happened to my unit once and the reset fixed it.
- Matt

#14 OFFLINE   Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:11 AM

Sorry you ran into a few bitter users whose experience has not met their expectations. They hang around in their agony to try to share it.

Hey now, I hear ya...those 'bitter Bettys.'

They expected their DVR to record the programming they set it up to record, and since it did not, these pesky posters just hang around here and complain about it. What are they thinking?

There oughta be a law.:rolleyes:

They should just keep their pie holes shut and enjoy the 20 minutes of programming their unit did record. After all, 20 minutes is better than missing the entire show.

And hey, that's why god invented bit torrent.

#15 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:16 AM

Since no one suggested it. Try a reset. That happened to my unit once and the reset fixed it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try it and it resolved the issue, albeit probably temporarily.

#16 OFFLINE   Marty B

Marty B

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:22 AM

Hey now, I hear ya...those 'bitter Bettys.'...

:lol:

#17 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try it and it resolved the issue, albeit probably temporarily.

Well mine did it with Lost last week, so mine's been fine for a week after the reset.
- Matt

#18 OFFLINE   Stevesdigi

Stevesdigi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:40 PM

Maybe it was a Nip/Tuck surgical error :D Sorry, couldn't resist... Is that show whacky or what? I thought for sure Christian was going to lose a kidney last night. And yay! Hagman's dead - again. And nobody had to shoot him this time.
HR20-700 DirecTV
SA8300HD BrightHouse
Panasonic 50-inch plasma

#19 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:36 PM

Hey now, I hear ya...those 'bitter Bettys.'

They expected their DVR to record the programming they set it up to record, and since it did not, these pesky posters just hang around here and complain about it. What are they thinking?

There oughta be a law.:rolleyes:

They should just keep their pie holes shut and enjoy the 20 minutes of programming their unit did record. After all, 20 minutes is better than missing the entire show.

And hey, that's why god invented bit torrent.

I hear ya Marcia. There's a fine line between a constructivie criticisim, an airing of a bug or problem, and just piling on and complaining with absolutely no input into the problem, whether they experience it or any method of help. In every thread.

I want and need negative comments and negative posters. Some are just useless and it's not difficult to see who they are.

Seriously, if they're to the point where they hate it that much and believe nothing positive is there or to come, what is there purpose in using it? That's where I have trouble understanding.

#20 OFFLINE   tstarn

tstarn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

That's a completely loaded question, and one that has been asked with regularity within these threads. Funny, but no one has an answer yet.
HDTV: Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma, Sony KE-32TS2 HD plasma
Directv Receivers: HR-20, R-10 (2), H-20
Hitachi and HR20 connected via HDMI (direct)
Sony and H20 connected via component

HT: Kenwood 8070 7.1 THX-certified receiver
Speakers:
PSB Image T55 (Main), PSB Image C40 (center), Image S50 (Surrounds).
DVD Players: Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-ES10B), Sony DVP-NS75H (upconverting).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...