Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Louisville Cardinal BCS Title Game?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Can an undefeated Louisville Cardinal team make it to the BCS Championship Game (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Can an undefeated Louisville Cardinal team make it to the BCS Championship Game

1. YES! GO CARDS! (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. No. A One Loss SEC school or Big Ten school will go first. (9 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

3. Maybe, depends on their style win over Rutgers or Pitt (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. College football... what's that? (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:16 AM

With Ohio State and Michigan playing each other late in the season and one of them obviously taking a loss, can an undefeated Louisville Cardinal team from the Big East make the BCS title game over a one loss OSU/Michigan or a one loss SEC team?
If you can read this, you are too close.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

I don't think they can. I think they should play in the national championship (if undefeated), but those computer rankings won't help their cause.

Their only hope is a blow out of monumental proportions in the Mich-OSU game, so the voters can drop the loser of that game down a few notches in the other polls. If it's close either way, then they'll be ranked 1 (winner) and 3 (loser), and even a 2 in the polls won't help them over come the dreaded computer rankings.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:19 AM

If we end the season with just two undefeated teams, then I hope those two teams get to play each other, no matter what the names on the jerseys... but there are a couple of scenarios that scare me.

If Ohio St wins out, and Louisville wins out, I think that is the best shot... even if Louisville has close games I think they might just earn enough points to squeak by at #2 by the end of the season.

IF, however, Michigan wins out... that poses more of a problem because Ohio St wouldn't drop as far with one loss and might still get into a title game rematch.

It is still dicey anyway if Florida or Auburn wins out as the points after #1/#2 right now are pretty bunched up.

On the flip side... I almost want the BCS to screw up big time so people will finally give some serious thought to a playoff system for division I.

#4 OFFLINE   Undertaker

Undertaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:23 AM

L' Yes!

#5 OFFLINE   rgraham541

rgraham541

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:43 AM

On the flip side... I almost want the BCS to screw up big time so people will finally give some serious thought to a playoff system for division I.

I agree 100%:joy:

#6 OFFLINE   bulldog200024

bulldog200024

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

I vote for

Bull
Crap
System

#7 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:18 PM

I agree 100%:joy:

I would agree, too, but only if they make winning you conference worthwhile.

I'd have the 6 BCS conference champs, 1 mid-major (highest ranked), and one at-large bid (ranked 8th or higher, much like the Notre Dame rule already in effect).

But, then someone would complain that the best team in the SEC lost in their conference championship. Hello! If you lose in your conference championship, you are NOT the best team in the conference. That actually IS a playoff, and people complain.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:25 PM

I can agree with taking conference champions... and as said, if you play and lose your conference championship you can't say you weren't given a chance, because you played in the game and lost.

I wouldn't even have a problem if they just took say the top 8 or 10 teams at the end of the year and had a playoff there... even the mid-majors like a Marshall or Tulane crept close to #10 by going undefeated.

Besides the bowl system, though, I really hate the rankings determining things.

Take this year for instance... so far Ohio State and Michigan both look like good teams, but one of them is going to have to lose. Ok, and the loser of that game will drop. Also ok... BUT another 1-loss team like Florida can sneak in and go above Michigan just because Michigan lost late in the season vs Florida losing earlier in the season. That always seems suspect to me... especially in a year like this when we know two good teams are going to play and one has to lose no matter how incredible they are and even if they play 4 overtimes, someone has to lose... then another team who lost earlier can sneak in at the last minute.

That's why I want a playoff... Besides liking to see teams get a fair shake... imagine how great the college bowl season could be... instead of a bunch of 7-4 or 6-5 teams squaring off in the Tough Actin' Tinactin Fungus bowl... we could have a #1 vs #10 matchup!

Tell me the schools and TV networks wouldn't make way more money on that deal!

Should be a win-win... we play an 11-12 game season, then have a couple of weeks worth of playoffs in the existing bowls but with a higher calibre of teams playing in them.

In the meantime... I would love to see Louisville win out and get to play in the title game... and I'm an ACC fan, but we have no shot at anything major this year.

#9 OFFLINE   colavsfaninnwia

colavsfaninnwia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:13 AM

Michigan and Ohio State won't play each other in any BCS game.

#10 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:37 AM

I still would keep the current bowl system alive, though.

They could play the opening round during the early bowl games that usually match-up Conference A's 5th place team vs. Conference Bs 4th place team, play the semi-finals around New Years, and the nat'l championship the week after. It's 3 extra games for the two top teams, and 7 more bowls total.

Plus, keep the other bowls, 'cuz their fun and that makes college football interesting. Hey, this year Indiana (my wife's alma mater) may go to the Motor City Bowl or something. That's great and gives everyone something to follow.

You want your team to be playing for something, even if it's just a trip to the Insight Bowl.

#11 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:22 AM

This is a movie that we will see over and over and over in the future.

The difference between the Big Least, or as I like the call it the "Leastleftovers", as it is really the schools that nobody wanted after the cream moved up from the old Big Least to the ACC, which itself was a leftover deal after the best school in the old Lambert Trophy eastern independents joined the Big 10, is a gap so wide that it will be easy for one team to dominate it, and then get pounded in either the BcS championship, or in whatever BcS bowl they are assigned to.

For reasons having to do with television more than anything else, the BcS took a good system that was working and created an illegal cartel of the true majors, plus the Leastleftovers, excluding the Leastleftovers peers in the other mid-major conferences (CUSA, MAC, Mountain West, etc). The theory was they could sell WVU or Pitt out of that joke league as something similar to what plays in the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC or Pac 10.

Now it has Loserville. Or better yet, RUTGERS. Unless a complex set of upsets happen, it has to spool up its "championship game" of Ohio State (or Michigan) vs Rutgers or Loserville. The kind of game that if played in September would be on ESPN 360 Plus Extra Regional Sideband Two and would be a laugher.

At the very least (pun intended) it ends up with, hopefully fan-less Rutgers, having to be in one of its prescious cartel bowl slots getting pounded by whoever. Great. Eat it BcS.

BTW, the standard comback is "but WVU won the Sugar Bowl in 05". Yep. And if the other mid-majors were not excluded they would beat what was really the 4th best team in the SEC once every 5 or 10 years too. It does not prove that the Leastleftovers champion belongs, or that the Mountain West champion does not.

The BcS has a quandry on its dirty little hands.

GREAT.

#12 OFFLINE   bigpuma

bigpuma

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:16 AM

We have seen the BCS screw up several times before and we still are no closer to a playoff system. :(

#13 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:21 AM

We have seen the BCS screw up several times before and we still are no closer to a playoff system. :(

My question for those that want a playoff is: How would you like to see it done?

Bowls are already big money (TV, local economies, and schools), and some people like them (for holiday viewing and trips).

Also, what do you watch during the regular season and bowl season? I think my habits are the same for both; I'll watch Top 10 BCS teams, the Big Ten, and ND.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:46 PM

Unfortunately the BCS has gotten lucky most years... in that there are usually only 3 or maybe 4 teams at the end of the year who think they have a claim to a title game... and most years we have ended up with just two undefeateds... but the way to really have things blow up would be to have 4 undefeateds at the end of the year OR better yet about 10 teams with just one loss and no undefeated teams left... then the whole mess would go south in a hurry as everyone would be complaining.

I still like football... but I end up ignoring most of the bowl games because they have lower tier teams just playing to be playing... and even though we do get a few good matchups now with the BCS... I still don't feel like all the teams get a chance to play it out at the end of the year.

Nothing is perfect... and in basketball, for instance, the best team doesn't always win the NCAA... there is lots of luck involved... but at least the tournament winning team had to win 6 games in a row against usually increasing difficulty... and some smaller schools get a shot, and one loss doesn't completely kill your season.

#15 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:49 AM

Well I guess this poll is now just academic :lol: I sort of thought Rutgers had a shot at beating Louisville but I wouldn't have bet money on it! Good game to watch even for non-fans of those teams. What mess if WV beats Rutgers the last game of the season. They might have to pick the Big East represenative based on the cheerleading squads. :D

Out of the current top 10 in the BCS (as of Thursday Nov 9th 10:49pm and 10 seconds) it appears USC has the toughest remaining schedule with Oregon, Cal and ND left to play and have the opportunity to gain the most ground in the standings.
The light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming.

#16 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:43 AM

Well, well, well.

Now the BcS cartel has to do something with fan-less Rutgers. It has walkovers over Cincy and Syracuse, and then it has to play at WVU. If the State University of New Jersey can beat West Virginia's university of New Jersians, then its is 12-0 and has played a schedule no less weak than WVU or Louisville did.

So how does the cartel exclude Rutgers, and if it does, how does it ever sell WVU or Louisville as legitimate in future years?

Ohio State 75, Rutgers 0.

Only because OSU will let up in the second half.

#17 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:12 AM

I guess that's why they play the games. Hell, put Rutgers in there against an undefeated Big Ten team.

I agree with you Sam, they can't say that one BCS conference is inferior to another. Well, hmmm...maybe this will inspire the annual "BCS rule change".

#18 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:04 AM

The only rule change the BcS needs to make is to abolish itself.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

If Ohio St were all that great, then Illinois wouldn't have put a scare into them last week... Same for Michigan almost losing to Ball St.

I like how those are explained away as "flukes" when a team like Rutgers or Louisville plays the same Illinois team and wipes the floor with them, it is described as part of a weak schedule.

I also always love how if Michigan scheduled Rutgers everyone would say how weak their schedule was... but then this year they will pan Rutgers for not having a tough schedule.

"Big" teams are told not to schedule weak... weak teams are told to schedule strong... which makes it very tough for a smaller school to schedule a "big" team since it is win-win for the small school and lose-lose for the big one.

Even with a playoff, some teams would be left out and others would claim they were robbed... but at least we would get some head-to-head matchups that might not otherwise be scheduled.

No one from the big schools, for instance, wants Boise St on their schedule after how that school competes in recent years... If you lose people will say "how do you lose to Boise St"? And if you win, people say "weak schedule"... then at the same time will bash Boise St for not having a tough schedule either.

Also continues to amaze me how teams with one loss are said to be "improving" since their loss... but Michigan could lose their last game of the year (essentially) to Ohio St and considered being suddenly in a downward spiral just for playing a tough team!

And last, but not least... two undefeated teams (Boise St and Rutgers) will likely get few top ten votes this week in lieu of teams who have lost already a game, in some cases a loss to a lower ranked team.

Also curious... since Rutgers has essentially the same schedule as Louisville... it seems to me that everyone who thought Louisville (including computer rankings) was #3 should now rank Rutgers higher than them for winning the game and at least in the top 5... but I suspect Louisville will drop to around #10, WV will go up to #9 even though they lose to Louisville, and Rutgers will hover around #11 or #12 even though they beat Louisville.

Strangeness and some "good old boy" stuff keeps many teams out of the rankings.

#20 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

Good game. Bad result. Schiano made some GREAT half time adjustments that my Cards just couldn't adapt to... oh well, I'm an alum, I love my Cards 8-1 or 1-8. I hope Rutgers runs the table now, simply because that will help UofL be higher than WVU in the polls and have a better shot at an at-large BCS bid...
If you can read this, you are too close.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...