Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Louisville Cardinal BCS Title Game?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Can an undefeated Louisville Cardinal team make it to the BCS Championship Game (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Can an undefeated Louisville Cardinal team make it to the BCS Championship Game

1. YES! GO CARDS! (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. No. A One Loss SEC school or Big Ten school will go first. (9 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

3. Maybe, depends on their style win over Rutgers or Pitt (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. College football... what's that? (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ONLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:32 AM

Neither Louisville nor WVU have any shot at a second BcS bid for the Big Least.

You have 10 slots. Five go to the champions of the major conferences (Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, SEC and ACC). Then the Big Least gets one. So you have four wild cards.

Notre Dame, unless it colapses gets one. The OSU-UM loser gets one. The SEC championship game loser gets one. And Auburn or Boise State gets the last one.

It is almost impossible to justify the automatic bid for the Big Least, but to dream of a second bid is impossible.

Louisville's best hope is for UND to win out (and thus make the BcS and not get the Least's #2's slot in the Gator), Pitt to beat WVU and WVU to beat Rutgers. That leaves WVU with 2 losses and Rutgers and Louisville tied with one. Rutgers goes the BcS, Louisville to the Gator and WVU to Canada.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

For the folks who like to slam the Big East... and keep in mind I'm an ACC fan!

Check out this year's Ohio State schedule...

9/2 N. ILLINOIS W 35-12
9/9 at Texas W 24-7
9/16 CINCINNATI W 37-7
9/23 PENN STATE W 28-6
9/30 at Iowa W 38-17
10/7 BOWLING GRN. W 35-7
10/14 at Michigan St. W 38-7
10/21 INDIANA W 44-3
10/28 MINNESOTA W 44-0
11/4 at Illinois W 17-10
11/11 at N'western
11/18 MICHIGAN

The games already played, and won, have the scores beside of them... Ok, they played and beat Texas... and will play Michigan... the other 10 games are against so-so teams.

With Louisville and WVU in the top 10... and Rutgers in the top 15... and Rutgers still has to play WVU I believe, after just beating #3... can someone explain how Ohio State is playing such a hard schedule by comparison? Each school will have played (by season end) 2 top 10 teams during the year.

Just saying... lots of "weak schedule" slamming going on.. but I don't see a lot of meat in the Ohio St schedule either... and I believe Rutgers blew-out Illinois 33-0, which Ohio St barely got by...

They have another common opponent in Cincinnati... which Rutgers has not yet played... so perhaps another chance to guage Rutgers vs Ohio St.

#23 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:46 AM

The other two things I'd like to point out are:

1. How many teams have played 9 bowl eligible teams (by the end of the regular season)? The team that did the UofL/Rutgers game said only 1 - Louisville.

2. Anyone catch Kirk Herbstreet's comment in the 2nd half, paraphrasing - "For all those critics of the Big East, myself included, that were against the strength of the Big East, BACK OFF. This conference with the depth of Louisville, WVU, Rutgers, Pitt, South Florida is good enough for the BCS."
If you can read this, you are too close.

#24 ONLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

If your ISP gets ESPN360, spool up Friday's "Five Good Minutes" segment of PTI. Its Corso and he explains about the Leastleftovers relative to the true majors in a very articulate manner.

Its just not the same. Its a lower level of the sport.

#25 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

I saw Corso on PTI... and he slammed the Big East for playing against Cincinnati... but Ohio State scheduled Cincinnati too! I notice he didn't slam them...

I also notice he slammed Rutgers for playing UNC... but he didn't slam Notre Dame for playing UNC.

Without a playoff, we have no idea how these teams would play against each other.

I also note that so far today... Auburn lost... Cal lost... Florida squeaked by winning by 1 pt.. so maybe this will all become a moot point as those "clearly better than the Big East 1-loss teams" will lose their 2nd games over the next week and Rutgers can float to the top anyway in spite of the bias.

I want a tournament, and soon... as not only would it settle the arguments... but we would get to see some great matchups of teams that never play each other instead of crappy 6-5 teams playing in the Tic-Tac Awesomeness Bowl :(

#26 ONLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:06 AM

A "tournament" would ruin college football.

In any event, the talking heads that argue about the non-conference schedules of Leastleftovers teams compared to the non-conference schedlues of True Majors miss the point entirely.

The issue is the CONFERENCE schedule of the Leastleftovers that is weak. They play each other.

This is a play that we will see over and over. The True Majors will eliminate each other and a Leastleftover will sail through its cupcake filled league of marginal programs.

Its just a different level.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

Again... look at Ohio State's schedule of cupcakes... most of those are in their conference. Most of their conference is not very good this year either. They aren't even playing the other good team (Wisconsin) in their own league this year!

Let me ask this... if you think you can rank a team based on your own perceptions without them actually playing against other teams you rank ahead of them... would you like your own job performance to be evaluated the same way? Say your salary is determined not by your boss who actually sees you work every day, but by bosses at other companies who deem your job "easier" than their employees and thus you should be paid less.

Also... the same "experts" who are ranking the teams about the Big East now... are the same experts who had Florida St and Miami and Penn St in the top 10 pre-season! The ONLY reason to have Florida St and Miami in the pre-season top 10 is because of reputation and nothing to do with this year at all... and as has played out during the season, neither team was very good. In fact virtually ALL the experts had Florida St as a favorite last night against Wake Forest... and Wake beat them badly (30-0) in Tallahassee... so how do you think the "experts" are doing ranking teams?

Maybe if this "tournament would ruin football" feeling is correct, we should stop all tournaments. Why have it in the NFL? Or basketball if you want to stay with college sports... let's just use the polls to determine the top-2 NCAA teams and play one basketball game at the end of the year too.

#28 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:30 PM

I saw Corso on PTI... and he slammed the Big East for playing against Cincinnati... but Ohio State scheduled Cincinnati too! I notice he didn't slam them...

I guess Corso forgot that Cincinnati is in the Big East and therefore must be played. Just like all the SEC teams have to play perrenial pushover Kentucky and Vandy...

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

I guess Corso forgot that Cincinnati is in the Big East and therefore must be played. Just like all the SEC teams have to play perrenial pushover Kentucky and Vandy...

Yep... maybe he hasn't adjusted to the new conference alignments. I admit, I have a hard time reminding myself that Lousville and Cincinnati are Big East now... especially during basketball season where the Big East is huge and lots of talent top to bottom.

Even before joining the Big East, I got to see Louisville play a couple of times as NC State had them on the schedule for a couple of years there... always confused me because the colors of the jerseys were so similar it was sometimes hard to tell which team was which when you first turned on the football game!

I'm still hoping for more collapse of the 1-loss teams to help out Rutgers if they stay undefeated.

I admit (and I'm guessing you share this) I was confused when I saw the new polls this morning... The AP has #7 Rutgers, #8 WVU, #10 Louisville. The Coaches poll has #7 WVU, #8 Rutgers, and #12 Louisville.

I figured it would be more like 7-8-9 with Rutgers, Louisville, then WVU... since WVU was beaten solidly by Louisville it made no sense to move WVU back in front again... and with Rutgers undefeated it makes sense to rank them above WVU who was beaten by the team they just beat.

But nobody ever said the folks voting in the polls made sound voting decisions!

#30 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:36 AM

I hope the actual voters have more common sense that Corso.

If you are scheduling your teams out of conference games today, then you are making your 2011 schedule, cause everything else has been scheduled years in advance.

If you go to www.nationalchamps.net, you can see every teams future schedule.

What a coach that is hired today should do is recruit for his own team, then take some time to recruit for his opponents four years down the road. Can you see Charlie Weiss doing that? "well, if not ND, maybe you'd like to play in Pittsburgh, or serve your country in the Navy"

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:18 AM

What a coach that is hired today should do is recruit for his own team, then take some time to recruit for his opponents four years down the road. Can you see Charlie Weiss doing that? "well, if not ND, maybe you'd like to play in Pittsburgh, or serve your country in the Navy"

That's a great point! Lots of folks that had Miami or Florida St on the schedule this year are getting good wins that mean nothing. Florida from the SEC, for instance, may very well be playing a Florida St team with a losing record! In past years that would have been a top 10 matchup.

Even with normal 4-year turnover you don't know what a school will be like by the time you schedule them to play you... and then with folks leaving early and injuries, there is no way of knowing if that powerhouse schedule you set up for 2011 will actually be a good one once it gets here!

#32 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:52 AM

Teams above my Cards...

1. Ohio State

One game left - 11/18 vs. Michigan

2. Michigan

One game left - 11/18 at Ohio State

3. USC

Three games left - 11/18 vs. California, 11/25 vs. Notre Dame, 12/2 at UCLA

4. Florida

Three games left - 11/18 vs. Western Carolina, 11/25 at Florida State the SEC Title Game vs. Arkansas

5. Notre Dame

Two games left - 11/18 vs. Army 11/25 at USC

6. Rutgers

Three games left - 11/18 at Cincinnati, 11/25 vs. Syracuse, 12/2 at West Virginia

7. Arkansas

Three games left - 11/18 at Mississippi State, 11/24 vs. LSU, then SEC Title Game vs. Florida

8. West Virginia

Three games left - 11/16 at Pitt, 11/25 vs. South Florida, 12/2 vs. Rutgers

9. Wisconsin

One game left - 11/18 vs. Buffalo

10. Louisville

Three games left - 11/18 vs. South Florida, 11/25 at Pittsburgh, 12/2 Connecticut

Best bet for my Cards to get a Top 6 BCS and an automatic bid:

• Louisville wins out, impressively
  • Florida and Arkansas win out, then Florida win SEC Title Game
  • Rutgers wins out, including at WVU
  • USC thumps Notre Dame

or
  • Rutgers and WVU lose 2 of next 3 games and Louisville wins out - goes as Big East Champ

Having said all this, I love my Cardinals 8-1 or 1-8, I love them, their my alma mater and as was sung in the '60s you gotta be true to your school...

#33 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

Wait a minute, didn't you guys beat WVU....how are you all lower than them now?

If Rutgers wins out, you have your best chance to pull an at large with 1 loss, since the SEC teams will have at least 2, and WVU will drop. If WVU beats Rutgers, they are the Big East babyface, and the voters will elevate them and drop everyone else just out of anti-Big East bias.

#34 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

Wait a minute, didn't you guys beat WVU....how are you all lower than them now?

If Rutgers wins out, you have your best chance to pull an at large with 1 loss, since the SEC teams will have at least 2, and WVU will drop. If WVU beats Rutgers, they are the Big East babyface, and the voters will elevate them and drop everyone else just out of anti-Big East bias.

Yeah, don't get me started on that one... I think that my four items are pretty good. It would give the help for Louisville to get the Top 6 auto at-large...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...