Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone with a 622 seeing random short skips?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

I just sent an email to dishquality about this. I'll post back if they respond.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

I just sent an email to dishquality about this. I'll post back if they respond.

GREAT!!!! I sent one also and will post what they say.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? So. Utah

#23 OFFLINE   Rovingbar

Rovingbar

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

I think us Dallas folks should contact KTXA and let them know we have problems.

Try http://cbs11tv.com/

The Contact Us link is on the left menu near the bottom. Remember to set the category as Technical or Brodcast issue so it gets to the right people. I told them I watch KTXA HD from Dish network. I'll let you know if I get a response.

:)

#24 OFFLINE   brettbolt

brettbolt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:07 AM

I only watch a 622 so I can't address the other receivers having the same problem. However, I don't believe it is related to the buffer/HDD. I have had my 622 since Feb. 2006 and this is something that just started recently. I frequently record 3 programs while watching 1 (or even 2 a couple of times) recorded program without normally having this skipping problem.

Why don't you think the skipping problem that I mentioned in post #1 is related to the buffer/hdd? Are you talking about the same problem? (random skipping of both audio and video during playback, but OK if you go back to view it again).

#25 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:44 AM

I just found this thread, and noticed it abruptly stops last november with no real answer to the problem. I have experienced the short skips mentioned herein while watching a delayed live recording. It was an OTA HD local I was watching, when I paused for a few minutes, then returned to watching the delayed program, I noticed several times there would be a short 1-2 second skip in audio and video, like described by brettbolt. If you rewind and play it again, the skip is not there. It definately is a playback issue, I can't see where it would matter which channel you are watching. I have only had my 622 for about a month, and have only noticed this once, but it was pretty often during the time it took me to catch up with Live TV.

#26 OFFLINE   stinkmeat

stinkmeat

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:15 AM

I have this exact same problem. It seems to occur only on OTA recorded shows. It seems to happen a lot with Heroes although I have seen it on other shows as well.

While watching HD recorded content it stutters for a moment and sometimes pixelates while the sound drops out for a couple of seconds. Then it resumes. If I watch it again, the skip is not there.

I thought it was an overheating issue since my old Moxi used to drop out & pixelate sometimes when it got too hot, but I got a chilmat and there has been no improvement.

Aren't all of the channels encoded the same way? Why would OTA content have an issue while sat content is fine? Especially considering that this is happening on recorded content only...How is recorded OTA content different that satellite recorded content?

#27 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:37 AM

Aren't all of the channels encoded the same way? Why would OTA content have an issue while sat content is fine? Especially considering that this is happening on recorded content only...How is recorded OTA content different that satellite recorded content?

Well first off you have MPEG4 and MPEG2 encoders in the mix. I would also suspect MPEG2 encoding is done by a number of different machines with a number of different firmware with a number of different encoding parameters. Not all channels are created equally.

Now.. as far as OTA... The encoding process is outside the hands of Dish and definitely is where a lot of channel specific issues do crop up. One thing to remember, the 622 does not do any encoding. it just places what it gets onto the drive.

The other thing to remember.. Live content is actually recorded content. The 622 is reading from the buffer (hard drive) as content is being added to the buffer. So a hard drive read and write is involved while watching live. It is not directly sent to the TV.

So how is OTA content different that Sat. Well one, the bitrate is usually higher. Two, it is encoded differently than what Dish is sending. My feeling is that OTA and Dish MPEG streams are similar in the fact they are MPEG but how they get there may or may not be the same process and the results do have some difference.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#28 OFFLINE   teachsac

teachsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

Stinkmeat,

You in the Sac area and referring to KCRA? If so, Dish is aware of it, can reproduce the problem, and I am waiting to hear back from them regarding a possible solution.

Scott

#29 OFFLINE   stinkmeat

stinkmeat

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Stinkmeat,

You in the Sac area and referring to KCRA? If so, Dish is aware of it, can reproduce the problem, and I am waiting to hear back from them regarding a possible solution.

Scott

Yes I'm in Sacramento area and KCRA does seem to be the problem.

I guess that's all we can ask for...let me know what you hear back.

Ron - thanks for the clarification. I knew about MPEG2 vs MPEG4 but I didn't realize that within those there are variations as well. It still seems like once it's on the hard drive that unless some content is for some reason more taxing to display it shouldn't be having this problem. In any case I'm looking forward to not having this issue any more...

#30 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

I have this exact same problem. It seems to occur only on OTA recorded shows. It seems to happen a lot with Heroes although I have seen it on other shows as well.

While watching HD recorded content it stutters for a moment and sometimes pixelates while the sound drops out for a couple of seconds. Then it resumes. If I watch it again, the skip is not there.

I thought it was an overheating issue since my old Moxi used to drop out & pixelate sometimes when it got too hot, but I got a chilmat and there has been no improvement.

This is NOT the exact same problem I am having. What I am talking about is there is just a portion of recorded material that is skipped. No delay, no pixelization, no dead air, no stutter, no nothing, it's just as though that
portion does not exist, but if you rewind and play it again, it's there. It's like if someone is talking, and they say, "That's what I'm talking about", you might see and hear,"That's I'm talking about", but when you rewind, you pick up the "What" that was missing the first time. Like it skipped over a part of the hard drive.

#31 OFFLINE   teachsac

teachsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

Jimstick,

This is the same problem problem we are having in Sacramento with our OTA station. There is now a new element in the equation here. YOU can be watching someting and it will skip ahead 3-5 seconds. If you rewind, the material is present. I am working with someone in engineering, and they are analyzing two 622's I sent them with this problem. They have been able to recreate the problem. No idea yet as to the problem. As soon as they get back to me, I will post the results.

Scott

#32 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

Never mind.

#33 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

Jimstick,

This is the same problem problem we are having in Sacramento with our OTA station. There is now a new element in the equation here. YOU can be watching someting and it will skip ahead 3-5 seconds. If you rewind, the material is present. I am working with someone in engineering, and they are analyzing two 622's I sent them with this problem. They have been able to recreate the problem. No idea yet as to the problem. As soon as they get back to me, I will post the results.

Scott

Heard anything yet?

#34 OFFLINE   stinkmeat

stinkmeat

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:22 AM

I'm definitely still seeing the skips...and it is only on local channel 3 (KCRA).

spam firewall