Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mlb High Def

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   webpatk

webpatk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

Has anyone heard anything, regarding if Directv will broadcast any of the games provided in their extra innings package in HD?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   agreer

agreer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

Has anyone heard anything, regarding if Directv will broadcast any of the games provided in their extra innings package in HD?

Thanks

Right now D* cant handle one more second of HD, these clowns over promised and under built their capacity, they will be launching a couple of new sats next year, one of which is a nation wide MP4 unit that will give them capacity to do things like that...but when they do, look for it to be called "Superfan" and cost more.

#3 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:44 AM

Last year, select games were available on Channel 95, and maybe one other open channel. Only about 3-5 games per week, on top of what you got from ESPN and networks.

When you see that most RSNs will be bradcasting in HD, then you have to guess that MLB EI in HD is an eventuality, but last year it's HD offerings were disappointing to say the least.

#4 OFFLINE   bluedogok

bluedogok

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

Right now D* cant handle one more second of HD, these clowns over promised and under built their capacity

Funny thing about that, I did have the NFL Network HD game the other night on this system that "can't handle one more second of HD", did your cable system carry the game :rolleyes:

None of the systems are perfect and have everything everyone wants, that is the only fact.
A Sooner in Austin

#5 OFFLINE   agreer

agreer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:28 PM

Funny thing about that, I did have the NFL Network HD game the other night on this system that "can't handle one more second of HD", did your cable system carry the game :rolleyes:

None of the systems are perfect and have everything everyone wants, that is the only fact.

Well, there was a huge issue this season about TNT-HD and/or HDnet going dark for NFL...well, seems to me that as the MLB season is longer with more games, many more games, almost 10 fold....if the NFL is pushing the D* HD limit, M LB would crush it...would it not?

#6 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:59 AM

Hey Bluedogok, D* has had an exclusive contract for NFLST/Superfan for several years and we pay up the ass for these few games. They have it locked up for about 5 more years. Cable shows a lot more regional sports (Fos Sports Net) in HD. I also have E* and prefer it except for the NFL.

#7 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

... they will be launching a couple of new sats next year, one of which is a nation wide MP4 unit that will give them capacity to do things like that...but when they do, look for it to be called "Superfan" and cost more.

Only then will having most MLB games in HD even be an option. With a usual slate of between 12 -15 games, that's the same as NFLST every day.

#8 OFFLINE   bluedogok

bluedogok

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:04 PM

I have Sports Pack, Sunday Ticket , Center Ice for the Avalanche and Extra Innings for the Red Sox and Rangers games, with ST and NFL Network on D* I am not going to be changing providers anytime in the future. Time-Warner Cable doesn't have NFLN and I dang sure don't care about their BEVOD (UT VOD) channel they have. Most that I know that have the TWC-HD service are about as frustrated with it as everyone is with D* or E* HD offerings.

I know that I am not going to get the HD feed of NESN or Altitude from TWC, D* or E* anytime soon and the Astros games bump the Rangers game off here and on an off night they may show the Rangers so that might be the only time there is an FSN-SW HD feed, but they aren't showing the FS-SW HD college football games here in HD.

I figure it will be a few years before HD is considered a "standard" by the broadcasters as they are still treating it as a "specialty" for the most part. So I will stay with what I have.
A Sooner in Austin

#9 OFFLINE   jimbo09

jimbo09

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:39 PM

Is there an alternate FSN-SW that might show the Rangers? Here, when the Giants are on FSN-BA (654), the A's get moved to FSN-BA Alt (655). This happens quite a bit, since they typically play at the same time, either at home or away.

#10 OFFLINE   bluedogok

bluedogok

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:21 PM

Before I had Extra Innings I would check and they did have it sometimes and they were blacked out other times since we are in the Astros home area (it is about a 2 hour drive to Houston and 3.5 hours to Dallas), but it was not very consistent. I mainly watch the Red Sox games, so I needed the package to get those games and the fact that i get the Rangers without a problem is just a bonus.

It is even worse with the Spurs/Mavericks games here being about 1 hour from San Antonio, the Mavs and Rockets game are always blacked out. I grew up in OKC and lived in Dallas 15 years ago so that is where following the Dallas teams came from.
A Sooner in Austin

Protected By... spam firewall...And...