Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Observer: DIRECTV Needs More HDTV Movie Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:49 AM

HD Observer: DIRECTV Needs More HDTV Movie Channels

Washington, D.C. (November 30, 2006) -- I've been a DIRECTV subscriber for five years; an HD subscriber for almost two. When I finally bought the set (Sony Grand WEGA 50-inch flat-screen) and HD/TiVo, I decided to trim down my movie programming package since I presumed that the HD experience would spoil me.

Read the rest of the story at: TVPredictions.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:06 AM

When will people realize that D*'s just out of bandwidth to add more national HD channels until D10/D11 go into service? Yes, they could shut down some PPV SD channels, like they do for NFL-ST/SF but then you'd have a bunch of folks posting about the lack of PPV channels on D*.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:40 AM

When will people realize that D*'s just out of bandwidth to add more national HD channels until D10/D11 go into service? Yes, they could shut down some PPV SD channels, like they do for NFL-ST/SF but then you'd have a bunch of folks posting about the lack of PPV channels on D*.

Agreed, there is no bandwidth at this point to add any HD (heck, some would say there isn't enough to properly send the current channels).

However, an average consumer doesn't know or care about provider infrastructure -- only content and costs. If somebody down the street gets a desired channel and they themselves do not, they're unhappy.

You'd think, though, that someone writing at that site would be informed enough to understand the current situation and D*'s future plans.

If all goes well (which is far from a given for D* these days), this (and hopefully "HD-Lite") will be a thing of the past.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:13 PM

Is there any reason D* could not add a few more national HD channels now, with the understanding that they would be temporarily removed while Sunday Ticket games are on, until the new sats are operational?

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#5 OFFLINE   White_Horse

White_Horse

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

Is there any reason D* could not add a few more national HD channels now, with the understanding that they would be temporarily removed while Sunday Ticket games are on, until the new sats are operational?

They already remove at least one national HD channel now when Sunday Ticket was on. I'm guessing you missed all the complaints when TNT HD was removed during the first few weeks of football (over fear of missing NASCAR in HD). Later on in the season, they kept TNT HD up, but pulled one of the other national HD channels. Do you really want to see the complaints when they remove more than one national HD channel on sunday?

#6 OFFLINE   ptwat

ptwat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:48 PM

Are you saying that the Ka birds are not ready? I thought they were already up.

#7 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

when will D* launch SAT10 and SAT11

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:53 PM

Are you saying that the Ka birds are not ready? I thought they were already up.

There will be a total of four KA satellites by the end of 2007. Spaceway 1 & 2 have been launched and are being used for providing local into local HD channels. These two satellites have only spotbeams on them, no CONUS beams hence no new national HD channels.

DirecTV 10 and 11 are the next two KA satellites to go up, not sure of the exact dates, I think D10 has an April/May date. Once those go up then they will have room to add more national HD channels.

#9 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

They already remove at least one national HD channel now when Sunday Ticket was on. I'm guessing you missed all the complaints when TNT HD was removed during the first few weeks of football (over fear of missing NASCAR in HD). Later on in the season, they kept TNT HD up, but pulled one of the other national HD channels. Do you really want to see the complaints when they remove more than one national HD channel on sunday?

Technically they would not be "removing" the new channels. They would be "adding" them for the remainder of the week.

I think the complaints would be much reduced because consumers would know in advance it would happen. I hope it would be explained to them when they signed on for the "HD Limited Package," or whatever it would be called.

Most people would appreciate more HD even if it was for 6.5 days per week, as long as they knew that in advance.

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:26 PM

You seem to forget, to add any new HD channel now, even for part time, something else would need to be discontinued. We then get into the problem that D* might turn off a SD channel that you want then you're upset about that.

#11 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:22 PM

I actually like that idea of using ST channels Mon-Sat for national HD networks. It would show the D* is trying to take care of it's customers while the remaining satellites are launched, positioned and made ready for carrying their signals. I don't know if there are any significant costs that D* would incur, but it would sure make them more appealing in the near term while Brand X has the temporary HD advantage.

#12 OFFLINE   dpfaunts

dpfaunts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

How about D* using the ST HDs for new nationals after the end of the regular season and then utilize the new satellites once they are up. Best of both worlds or am I missing something?
Darryle

HR24-100 HDMI Samsung 85687W
HR22-100 Component Samsung HLN4365W
HR21-700 HDMI Vizio SV370XVT
HR20-100 SVID Panasonic CRT
SLIMLINE (SL3) SWM
DirecTV 8/98

#13 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

You seem to forget, to add any new HD channel now, even for part time, something else would need to be discontinued. We then get into the problem that D* might turn off a SD channel that you want then you're upset about that.

On Sunday they take away TNTHD and the Interactive Channels (I assume the interactives go to make way for the Player Tracker.)

But they have 7 HD ST channels this week for the early games. It would seem like they would have room for 5 or 6 additional HD channels the rest of the week:)

No, I would not advocate the removal of any other channels.

EDIT: Maybe there is something about football games that allows them to take up less bandwidth than normal HD channels, and to add even one HD channel would take more bandwidth than all the ST HD channels. I am theorizing without full technical knowledge, but it is something to think about.

#14 OFFLINE   Greenbay4

Greenbay4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:00 PM

But they have 7 HD ST channels this week for the early games. It would seem like they would have room for 5 or 6 additional HD channels the rest of the week:)

Good Point.

#15 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:00 PM

On Sunday they take away TNTHD and the Interactive Channels (I assume the interactives go to make way for the Player Tracker.)

No, I would not advocate the removal of any other channels.

EDIT: Maybe there is something about football games that allows them to take up less bandwidth than normal HD channels, and to add even one HD channel would take more bandwidth than all the ST HD channels. I am theorizing without full technical knowledge, but it is something to think about.

You also missed that they take down all the SD PPV channels (that's a lot of channels) to free up the bandwidth for the NFL-ST games.

#16 OFFLINE   hdfan01

hdfan01

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

How many people reeally buy PPV anymore????? I rearly do. $4 is just too much. I might if they would cut the channels in half for bandwidth and bring our HD PPV for $4

• DIRECTV SINCE 02-96

#17 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

This is another reason to advocate new subscribers going with HD cable or Dish HD right now. They both have a lot more HD content available than DirectV. With the high amount of HD TV's being purchased this year. The HD sets are flying off the shelves this year at all the Best Buys, Circuit City's, Wal-Mart or where ever. People are not going to wait on DirectV to play catch up. Even though I have DirectV I am still telling everyone to go with Dish if they go satellite and want HD content. Or even some of the cable providers have a lot more content than DirectV. Direct waited to long to get in on the ground floor. Cutting off customers channels on Sunday so some can watch 15 football games at the same time is not the answer. Direct has known for years that HD was coming to the customers. Customers will not wait for Direct to provide HD content available right now to them.

#18 OFFLINE   aramus8

aramus8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:00 AM

D* needs to lose some of the shopping channels and religious channels at least until the new satellites are up. If they could just get HGTV HD , Starz, and National Geographic HD by dumping some of these other channels, they would have a shot at more subscribers and be HD competitive with E*. The E* VOOM channels are pretty much a joke. I seriously doubt too many top level customers are currently attracted to sign up to D* because they have the most shopping or church channels. Doesn't D* have any business sense anymore? It seems like they lost it when Ruppert became involved.

#19 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:31 AM

You also missed that they take down all the SD PPV channels (that's a lot of channels) to free up the bandwidth for the NFL-ST games.

Uh yes, I did miss that, sorry.

#20 OFFLINE   DJConan

DJConan

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:54 PM

So it seems like to me, you can switch away from DirecTV for it's current HDTV offering and go to one of the other companies. Then I suppose, you will want to switch back in the summer when they begin offering more HD channels than the competitors.

At this point in time, it's not that much longer before DirecTV will be adding a lot more channels, so I don't really understand the complaints.

The only thing I was really unhappy with was not being able to get my locals in HD because I am too far away to receive them OTA. Now that I receive my locals in HD via the dish, I think I can wait another 7 months for new content.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...