Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Observer: DIRECTV Needs More HDTV Movie Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:49 AM

Don't get me wrong, I am waiting also.

D* does not offer my locals in HD and I'm too far for OTA, but I get NY DNS in HD and like it just fine.

We were just excercising some whishful thinking.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mitchelljd

mitchelljd

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:27 PM

Hey I agree.
Cinemax HD and Starz HD would be excellent to add to Directv. and soon!

#23 OFFLINE   Carbon

Carbon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hey I agree.
Cinemax HD and Starz HD would be excellent to add to Directv. and soon!

FX also. I can't watch the Shield in SD.

#24 OFFLINE   DJConan

DJConan

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

I'm looking forward to National Geographic. But I hope to see more like TNT, which I like for their movie showings. Maybe TBS to name one.

Is there a list somewhere that shows which networks are offering HD content? National Geographic makes it obvious at the start of their programs, but I can't think of any others at the moment.

#25 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:17 PM

What would probably happen is that any new HD channels would probably be MPEG4. That means that everyone would have to have one of those raggedy HR20's. I'd rather wait until they get all the bugs worked out, and the OTA is working before they do anything like that.
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

#26 OFFLINE   ctsshack

ctsshack

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:00 PM

Why don't they pull the national HD Network feeds (CBS East and West, NBC East and West, ABC East and West and FOX East and West)? That's a lot of bandwidth. Even though I'm in the NYC Area, I get all my Network HD OTA.

#27 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:24 PM

Not everyone can get locals in HD (or even analog) OTA. There are a limited number of locals via satellite and even then, not everybody in some DMAs are within the spotbeam. When Directv 10 and 11 are operational things will change.

#28 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

I would guess that it's also part of DTV's overall HD strategy. Most people don't like flipping between OTA and dish - one of the big sticking points with getting a dish for many folks is not being able to get locals (it was for me - I held off until DTV offered SD locals in my area). It's gotta be the same thing for HD. Sounds like DTV (and I agree with this decision, btw) believes that most HD customers would rather just get all their TV from the dish rather than having to switch between the two.

spam firewall