Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about recording

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

If I'm halfway through a program, and I decide I want to record the whole thing, is there anyway to do that other than to rewind all the way to the beginning and hitting the record button?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:12 PM

Record button, select Options, you should see "Record entire event". Or pretty close to that. If you are running behind live and the rest of the current 1/2 hour show is already in the buffer and a different show has already started, something changes in the options. You'll need to experiment (and people are watching mine and wouldn't appreciate me experimenting).

#3 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:40 PM

Record button, select Options, you should see "Record entire event". Or pretty close to that. If you are running behind live and the rest of the current 1/2 hour show is already in the buffer and a different show has already started, something changes in the options. You'll need to experiment (and people are watching mine and wouldn't appreciate me experimenting).

Thanks for the help.

#4 OFFLINE   Mojito05

Mojito05

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:13 AM

I just had Dish & the ViP622 DVR installed last week. So, I'm still getting used to the different setup (I used to have Charter's Moxi DVR), but I'm not able to get the instructions above to work. Here's what I've tried (all while watching a live 1/2 show, 2-5 minutes into it):

Record button --> Options = the "Record Entire Event" option is grayed-out
Record button --> Options --> OK --> Stop button after a couple of minutes = recording started with when I hit the Record button (same problem I've encountered thus far)

Back button for 1 minute --> Record button --> Options --> OK --> Stop button after a couple of minutes = recording started with when I hit the Record button
So, the only way I could get this to work, is by using the method in the 3rd bullet - rewinding as far back as I wanted to record, and then hitting the Record button. So since I'm not familiar with everything yet, is there something I'm not trying or doing correctly?

Also, one other difference I've noticed. When you're watching a show and have any amount of time in the buffer, is there a way to keep what's in the buffer (besides recording) if you go into a menu option like "System Info" or if you view a DVR recording? Whenever I do either and exit back to the channel, the buffer has been reset. With the Moxi, it kept the buffer going - even if you went into menus or recordings. I realize that I'm comparing 2 different DVRs, so not everything is going to be the same. I'm totally fine with that, but again, just wanted to verify if it's a limitation of the receiver or its new user.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,294 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:45 AM

You need to be tuned to the channel at the beginning of the show for the "record from beginning" option to be available. If you tuned in after the clock ticked past the show start that option is gone and you will have to do the rewind and press record trick.

The "record from beginning" is good if you decide to record something after you have watched the beginning (or if you came in late while it was playing without you). It doesn't work like the "cable" option where they can refeed the beginning of the show to you and allow you to "record from beginning" on a channel you were not tuned to.

#6 OFFLINE   William

William

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:54 AM

You need to be tuned to the channel at the beginning of the show for the "record from beginning" option to be available...

I also believe it must be less than 1 hour after starting a show also which is the limit of the temporary buffer.

#7 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:52 AM

I also believe it must be less than 1 hour after starting a show also which is the limit of the temporary buffer.

Correct.

#8 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:59 AM

Also, one other difference I've noticed. When you're watching a show and have any amount of time in the buffer, is there a way to keep what's in the buffer (besides recording) if you go into a menu option like "System Info" or if you view a DVR recording? ...

If you view any previously recorded program the tuner loses the buffer of the "live" programming that you had been viewing. In general, going to Menu does not cause the buffer to be lost, however certain selectable options that may be selected within the Menu will cause a loss of the buffer because it utilizes the tuner for an operation or must disconnect the tuner. Example, Check Switch. Also, as you've discovered, System Info... which checks reception from all Sats, among other things.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...